St. Louis Show

Don Quixote

This was the first indoor show I've seen them in since Hold Your Fire. It was AWESOME!! The outdoor venues from the last 10 years have had great sound but this was like the old days where it felt more like the crowd was part of the show rather than just watching the show. I guess it just brings back great memories of the arena days of the early 80's. The only song that was hard for me to hear sound wise was Far Cry. Maybe just my 45 year old ears!?! Geddy's voice is great.

One of the best moments for me was actually after the show. I caught a glimpse of the tall slender brunette playing the violin on the big screen and thought WOW she looked hot. Sure enough my buddy and I ran into her and the slick headed violinist on the street a block away from the arena and she was absolutely the hottest violinist I've ever seen!

Hope they return on a second leg to Maryland Heights for an outdoor show next summer! 2.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mystic Rythm @ Sep 23 2012, 09:37 PM)

One of the best moments for me was actually after the show.  I caught a glimpse of the tall slender brunette playing the violin on the big screen and thought WOW she looked hot. 

Yeah the brunette was hot. The girl playing the cello was pretty damn hot, too. I think I fell in love with her haha.

Got home late last night from St. Louis...11 hour drive! Whew!

The show was AWESOME! 6th row on Ged's side 1022.gif

The Power Windows songs (which aside from Big Money I've never heard live) sure sounded BALLSY live! cool.gif

Sorry I didn't get to meet any fellow TRFers...though I did meet VivaLaRush who happened to be sitting in front of us in row 5 smile.gif

I thought the strings worked well especially a certain GUP song

Cleveland up next in few weeks! trink39.gif

Well, I guess everyone can pretty much gather that the St. Louis show was in the 'magical' category. I was in section 117 just off Alex's side and there was a woman in front of me that came in from Chicago with her boyfriend and a woman next to me who brough her entire fam - two very small boys included - and she was the 'driving RUSH force' in the fam. Those two chicks ROCKED OUT the entire concert (along with me - and several others, of course) - but it's ALWAYS awesome to see females having a great time at a 2.gif concert and these two absolutely were. Highlights of the night for me: Territories, Dreamline, Red Sector A, Caravan, HEADLONG FLIGHT - AWESOME!!!, The Garden, TSOR & Grand Finale! What an EPIC show!! Still on cloud 9!!! 1022.gif

What song was it that Alex stepped up to the mic and started the silly babbling, was that, "Where's My Thing"?

I live in the area; I'm wondering if they could have done the show at Peabody Opera House instead. They've played there before (if you have the 2-14-1980 bootleg it's from there) and the sound is a lot better there. The venue they were in is designed for hockey and sounds like it.

I saw the show in Columbus and the one in St. Louis, and while it pains me to say as Nationwide arena is my "home" venue, from my vantage point the sound was MUCH better in STL. Although both arenas were pretty darn close to being full, considering the areas in which tickets were sold. At both shows the upperbowl seating along the sides of the arena was closed off, while the seating at the end of the bowl was sold (and well sold). Those seats must be obstructed by the lights and PA, because the promoter could almost certainly have sold those as being closer to the stage.

My point, anybody who tells you the shows aren't selling well, or sound awful or whatever, is at best giving an opinion. An opinion sometimes contradicted by facts.

My wife and I both noticed that the STL crowd reacted with more enthusiasm to every bit of the the CA material. Neither show was the most technically perfect I have seen the band do. Geddy lost a monitor and we were treated to a little improve. Plus a couple of flubs here and there. One of the violinists broke a bow, and the white haired guy had to sit out a song while waiting on the replacement - but he picked at his violin. Clearly everybody in the string ensemble is enjoying their work. At each show saw a different member of the ensemble come back and watch TSOR from the side of the stage.

I don't think I have ever seen the guys more loose and having fun then I did in these shows. Especially in STL. Neil seems relaxed, even when things are not going his way. He missed two stick tosses in one song in Columbus, one of which Alex picked up and tossed into the crowd. Neil is even into the t-shirt giveaway now.

I love the different setlists. I love seeing the 80's stuff that I did not think they would ever do again. The lighting and stage art even seem more interesting than the Time Machine tour. I can't wait to see what they do next.

QUOTE (Don Quixote @ Sep 24 2012, 09:18 AM)
I live in the area; I'm wondering if they could have done the show at Peabody Opera House instead. They've played there before (if you have the 2-14-1980 bootleg it's from there) and the sound is a lot better there. The venue they were in is designed for hockey and sounds like it.

The Peabody only has a 3500 seat capacity, though I'm sure would have sounded great there. Scottrade looked to had about 10-12K people at it as there were many sections in the upper deck that were blacked out. I would like to have seen them at the new Chaifetz Arean at SLU. Would have been a little more intimate and would have certainly sold it out as it has a 10k capacity.

Okay okay...my two cents. My evening started with beers at Maggy Obriens. The place was "lit up with anticipation" with Rush fans everywhere. The speakers blared Rush and every stranger was a "long awaited friend."

Okay, the show. Uh...What is it with St. Louis? I just don't have good luck there. Saw the Snakes and Arrows tour at riverport 5 years earlier and the sound was going in and out. The boys seemed stiff and a little tired that show. This show was WAY different but again with the technical difficulites and the sound even when working optimally was never that great. I usually see them in KC and everytime they sound wonderful. I guess I can attribute the sound to being indoors too. I haven't seen them indoors since the Presto tour when I was a wee lad of 14. I struggled all night to hear geddy's bass especially when he went up to hit them high notes. His bass just disappeared. Bummer....

But...hey, onto more positive things. I have NEVER been to any Rush show where the new stuff COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY STOLE THE SHOW!! I was disappointed I didn't get to hear "Seven Cities..." but oh well. They really brought it during the new stuff. It got louder, more intense, more dynamic, more visceral..MORE EVERYTHIING!! The first set was fine and I enjoyed hearing those old obscure 80's tracks (having entered into my mid 30's "I REALLY love 80's Rush now" phase), but the second set when they broke into CA was INSANE!! I felt like "okay, now the "RUSH" concert has begun!!!!"

Onto the middletown dreams discussion...that song is my second favorite 80's rush song (next to "open secrets"). So I was stoked to hear it live. However, I have to admit...it didn't come off that well. So, glad to hear it...but...hey..can't win em all boys.

Great show, great time....the city was kind to me and I'm definitely more of a Kansas City boy, but thanks St. louis....

SEE YALL AT THE KANSAS CITY SPRING DATE WHICH I'M SURE WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 23 2012, 09:16 AM)
This is the best youve ever heard him? Jesus. Listen to when he sings the word "degrees". Awful. No way is this even close to the album or the Power Windows tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mcvQg4jIqg

You are such a whiney little bitch, why do you bother with Rush?, and by the way you cant't sing to save your miserable life. bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (karlx2112 @ Sep 24 2012, 12:25 PM)
SEE YALL AT THE KANSAS CITY SPRING DATE WHICH I'M SURE WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON.

I can only hope. The Starlight is one of the best outdoor arenas anywhere. I'd drive the 5.5 hours (one way) happily to see them for the third time there.

I don't even know if i should jump in, as I won't be seeing Rush this time 'round. Just don't have the Money.......Anyway, I heard Middletown Dreams on a boot. It really did not sound to good to my ears, Ged seemed to really Struggle. Everything else is tops though yes.gif

Mick

Amazing show and it ranks with among the best I've seen. The abundance of 80's/early 90's material that so many have whined about sounded fantastic live...much more ballsy than it did back then.

So great to see so many young people at the show and really enjoying it. There was a boy in front of us--maybe 9 or 10--who was standing on his chair (we were on the floor) and really into it. And right in front of me, a couple maybe in their late teens/early 20's who clearly knew the music and enjoyed every minute of the show.

And on the other hand, there was a couple sitting next to us--probably mid-40's or so--who were long-time fans, but had never seen them play live. So it was a great experience for them.

As my wife & I were walking into our hotel, a guy stopped us and asked, "Is Rush playing here tonight?" We said yes, in just a couple of hours. He said he'd seen 3 people at the hotel (including us) wearing Rush t-shirts and realized that couldn't be a coincidence. Unlike us TRFers, he obviously wasn't keeping up with tour dates...but he wasn't one of those so-called "fans" I run into all the time who have a copy of Moving Pictures and aren't aware they're recording new music. He was mentioning being a fan since CoS and FBN, so he sounded legit....and he was totally freaked out that Rush was in town. Don't know if he made it to the show or not...I hope he did.

I was a setlist skeptic, but this show was magnificent.

My uncle and I both agreed it was one of Rush's best performances that we've seen.

Force Ten was phenomenal, as was Grand Designs, and all of the new album sounded sublime.

Helluva great show.

And let me applaud you, St. Louis. You came out in force. Very, very big crowd, the biggest I've seen in St. Louis since the GUP tour.

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 25 2012, 03:15 PM)
I was a setlist skeptic, but this show was magnificent.

My uncle and I both agreed it was one of Rush's best performances that we've seen.

Force Ten was phenomenal, as was Grand Designs, and all of the new album sounded sublime.

Helluva great show.

And let me applaud you, St. Louis. You came out in force. Very, very big crowd, the biggest I've seen in St. Louis since the GUP tour.

what did you think about the strings? your initial thoughts were.....

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Sep 25 2012, 10:18 AM)
Amazing show and it ranks with among the best I've seen. The abundance of 80's/early 90's material that so many have whined about sounded fantastic live...much more ballsy than it did back then.

So great to see so many young people at the show and really enjoying it. There was a boy in front of us--maybe 9 or 10--who was standing on his chair (we were on the floor) and really into it. And right in front of me, a couple maybe in their late teens/early 20's who clearly knew the music and enjoyed every minute of the show.

And on the other hand, there was a couple sitting next to us--probably mid-40's or so--who were long-time fans, but had never seen them play live. So it was a great experience for them.

As my wife & I were walking into our hotel, a guy stopped us and asked, "Is Rush playing here tonight?" We said yes, in just a couple of hours. He said he'd seen 3 people at the hotel (including us) wearing Rush t-shirts and realized that couldn't be a coincidence. Unlike us TRFers, he obviously wasn't keeping up with tour dates...but he wasn't one of those so-called "fans" I run into all the time who have a copy of Moving Pictures and aren't aware they're recording new music. He was mentioning being a fan since CoS and FBN, so he sounded legit....and he was totally freaked out that Rush was in town. Don't know if he made it to the show or not...I hope he did.

After the show we were mulling around the vendor section of Scottrade and three kids - couldn't have been more than 19 or 20 at most - one male, two females - walked by me all garbed out in fresh swag and just as happy as larks and I stopped them and said, "Wait...wait - how old are you three?" They all say, "Twenty!" almost in unison. I asked, "And, you actually like Rush - you liked the concert?" "We love RUSH!" they answered. "The show was unbelievable!" I went over, shook each hand with a big smile and said, "God bless you three, you've restored my faith in the young people of this country!" We all had a good laugh and they headed off. Love seeing the 'younger' individuals/groups at 2.gif concerts. Even overheard while standing in line for a shirt, "Do you want me to get you anything Grandma?" That's good stuff! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (karlx2112 @ Sep 26 2012, 12:24 PM)
@big al fan - Dude I has seen them at Kemper once and sandstone probably 3 times but starlight is absolutely my favorite venu I've ever seen them. If only R30 was played there!! You know thats where they're coming next year!

I see you don't have TMT @ Starlight in your list...what's up with that? wink.gif

Here are a few pictures from the meet up at the Schalfy Tap Room. If you recognize yourself speak up. I just got a few shots right before the mass of fans left for the show.

At the bottom of the first pic you can see my wife's red (formerly blonde) hair. In pic three you can see Christopher Schneberger paying for beer. (If I got your name wrong sorry, but it is not the easiest one to remember.)

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Schafly01.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Schafly02.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Schafly03.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Schafly04.jpg

During the first set my wife, not the biggest fan, wandered away to buy me way too much merchandise (it was my birthday and the show alone was more than enough). She ended up on the third level and snapped a bunch of out of focus pictures. I was looking at them during the intermission when I burst out laughing at a great one of Neil. I tried to "fix" it as best I could. The look on his face is priceless.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Peart09-22-12.jpg

Just now getting around to posting here.

The show was incredible. The sound was amazing, especially for Scottrade Center which is often muddy.

The crowd reaction was also inspirational. I was happy that they responded so well to the new stuff, even though it was clearly unfamiliar to most. From where I was standing, most of the crowd were on their feet the entire time!

One of the best RUSH shows I've ever seen for all of the above reasons!

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 27 2012, 10:36 AM)
Here are a few pictures from the meet up at the Schalfy Tap Room.  If you recognize yourself speak up.  I just got a few shots right before the mass of fans left for the show.

At the bottom of the first pic you can see my wife's red (formerly blonde) hair.  In pic three you can see Christopher Schneberger paying for beer. (If I got your name wrong sorry, but it is not the easiest one to remember.)

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Schafly01.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Schafly02.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Schafly03.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Schafly04.jpg

During the first set my wife, not the biggest fan, wandered away to buy me way too much merchandise (it was my birthday and the show alone was more than enough).  She ended up on the third level and snapped a bunch of out of focus pictures.  I was looking at them during the intermission when I burst out laughing at a great one of Neil.  I tried to "fix" it as best I could.  The look on his face is priceless.

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z437/drbirdsong/Peart09-22-12.jpg

Unfortunately, we didn't make it to Schlafly, but The Hard Rock's patio was packed out with fans as well, and of course, they (HR) had the songs going for the fan-base. trink38.gif Good times! Thanks for posting, btw.

Edited by bigalfan