Laptop Shopping Advice?

New World Kid

Hello there Reverse Polarity! I don't think I've ever frequented this forum, nice place ya got here.

Anyways,

I'm looking for a new laptop/miracle. My current laptop, a 2008 MacBook Pro, is beginning (continuing) to break down, and I'm looking for something new.

I will not be buying another Mac. It has been nothing but a fight maintaining it from the day it came out of the box. Many Hardware Problems. My first computer, a 2006 Toshiba Sattelite, is still humming along with relatively few problems while my newer, more expensive MacBook always just sucked. Macs don't have the performance abilities or hardware reliability that I want.

I'm looking for a lappy that isn't just built for today, but tomorrow I guess. Something that, in 2014, isn't going to be obsolete. I have a specific video game I want to buy, with nearly-ludicrous recommended specs. I started out by saying "okay, here's a game I want, let's find a laptop that will run it awesomely" and ended up looking at alienware, looking at the price, and then going "well that sucks."

Clearly that wasn't a good method for Laptop Shopping.

I'm also a musician looking for a computer that is good for recording. I did some shopping already and found that the latest models of Toshiba Sattelites come with a mono audio input? Unless I didn't read that right. That seemed crazy to me. I need stereo.

The Toshiba Qosmio looks nice, but it's kinda pricey, and I feel like if I just stick to a brand name, I'm going to miss some fantastic computer out there or something. To level, I have no idea what I'm talking about really.

Anyways, for a price-conscious person who wants above average performance and a decent lifetime, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Edited by New World Kid

Avoid Sony, their laptops are poorly ventilated, have poor specs, are poorly build, come with about 5GB of bloatware and are double what they should cost. Many of my friends have had gaming laptops by Lennovo and HP for a few years and they use them for gaming (do research on any HP model you look at, some have crazy heating issues, others do not). I can't point to specific models but I hope this steers you in the right direction.

Lenovo and HP are generally considered the best brands...

I have a laptop built in 2007 and it is still a very strong machine. It was pricey upon purchase but at the time it could run the latest games. It can still run any MMO. The original build manufacturer is Compal, a lot of brands use these and it is a very solid build, at least then. I have read that some extreme users have updated there video cards

I did not buy the computer from one of the majors I bought it from a "boutique" supplier that sales are oriented toward Ubuntu users. https://www.system76.com/. You will pay a bit more for a custom built laptop and there are quite a few shops out there willing to build. System 76 has been great, one of the things you pay for for this type of computer is service. I have not needed much service since purchase, just a few hiccups here and there usually with a new OS build. They get the drivers and fixes out very fast. The one time I wanted major service was upon purchase, as a late decision I decided I wanted a matte screen instead of glossy. The computer had already been built but they switched the screens at no charge on a three day turnaround, quite amazing.

Sometimes you get what you pay for. I understand that a Linux OS is probably not what you are looking for so System76 may not be your ideal choice, but you can always put Windows on it, or even OSX I suppose. Worth checking out or others like them before you purchase.

Here are a few audio specific laptop manufactures...

Rain Computers

PC Audio Labs these seem to be highly recommended.

Studiocat

ADK

Edited by burgeranacoke

I have a Toshiba at home, and it has been awesome. In two years, it has never once given me problems.

My work laptop is an HP Elitebook. It has the Intel i7 chip, so it flies. It has been reliable too.

I don't know much about Lenovo. Isn't that IBM?

I agree with Burgerandacoke. You get what you pay for.

Thanks guys. This will be a bit of a long-term shopping ordeal. I totally have come to the same conclusion that you get what you pay for. If I can't afford a laptop that is an immediate upgrade over what I've got now (and it's pretty much looking that way) then I'll probably hold off until that situation changes.

My friend recommended Sager, any knowledge on them?

I just got an e-machines (e642, I think?) and am thrilled with it. Before purchasing, I asked our IT guru at work about it and he STRONGLY recommended it, saying that we have several currently issued to various employees and that they are "real workhorses, you can't make them quit."

Lots of bang for the buck, as well.

I have a Sony Vaio that has lasted 6.5 years now - It is on constantly, 24 hours a day - We do run a cooling pad which i recommend for any laptop. My suggestion is to have the place you buy it from wipe the hard drive clean, remove all pre-installed software and then just reinstall windows only. I know best buy will do this for a small charge. If you can do it yourself even better. It's all the extra B.S. that slows down any laptop.

However, I am eagerly anticipating the release of the Windows 8 tablets. If they live up to the hype it will change the portable computing world.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Sep 24 2012, 06:07 PM)
I have a Sony Vaio that has lasted 6.5 years now - It is on constantly, 24 hours a day - We do run a cooling pad which i recommend for any laptop. My suggestion is to have the place you buy it from wipe the hard drive clean, remove all pre-installed software and then just reinstall windows only. I know best buy will do this for a small charge. If you can do it yourself even better. It's all the extra B.S. that slows down any laptop.

However, I am eagerly anticipating the release of the Windows 8 tablets. If they live up to the hype it will change the portable computing world.

What have you been using it for? What series is it? I have an E series and it's a piece of junk. The battery lasts a mere two hours on power saving mode, internet off and running Microsoft Word so I can take notes. So far performance is holding well after 3 years but it's not saying much considering how low the specs are. I feel that I paid far too much for it. Also, Sony no longer does the whole "we'll wipe it clean for you so there's no bloatware". You either pay $100 extra for Windows 7 super upgraded edition and then shell out 50 for them to do it or no dice (at least that's how it worked at my local sony store when I bought mine).

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 26 2012, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Sep 24 2012, 06:07 PM)
I have a Sony Vaio that has lasted 6.5 years now - It is on constantly, 24 hours a day - We do run a cooling pad which i recommend for any laptop.  My suggestion is to have the place you buy it from wipe the hard drive clean, remove all pre-installed software and then just reinstall windows only. I know best buy will do this for a small charge. If you can do it yourself even better.  It's all the extra B.S. that slows down any laptop. 

However, I am eagerly anticipating the release of the Windows 8 tablets.  If they live up to the hype it will change the portable computing world.

What have you been using it for? What series is it? I have an E series and it's a piece of junk. The battery lasts a mere two hours on power saving mode, internet off and running Microsoft Word so I can take notes. So far performance is holding well after 3 years but it's not saying much considering how low the specs are. I feel that I paid far too much for it. Also, Sony no longer does the whole "we'll wipe it clean for you so there's no bloatware". You either pay $100 extra for Windows 7 super upgraded edition and then shell out 50 for them to do it or no dice (at least that's how it worked at my local sony store when I bought mine).

Don't know what series it is the model number starts with VGN -

It is an intel core 2 processor with only 2 gigs of RAM. i only use it to write speeches while i'm watching TV biggrin.gif I stopped using the battery about two years ago because it sucked - i always keep it plugged in - if I go to battery power i get about 4 minutes before it dies -

My Desktop is my power house - with dual 23 inch screens / Intel I7 processor / 24 gig ram / Cooler master haf case / 1 gig video card / Cooler master heat sink / 64 bit

Well, I had an HP for a little less than a year and it went completely gone on me a couple of months ago. Motherboard was toast. And HP basically told me to eff off. No more HP in this house.

So I went shopping and ended up with a Toshiba. Everyone I talked to that had one praised them. I have a Satellite C675D-S7109. It cost under $400 at Best Buy. It has a 281 GB hard drive (which I've barely filled) and a side-vent. The only drawback is the USB ports are on the left side but I can deal with that.

Hope you end up with one that makes you happy. smile.gif

See... this is the problem I'm having.... confused13.gif Edited by HowItIs

Toshiba makes a virtually indestructible laptop for a reasonable price. I believe they still use titanium in their chassis. I use a Lenovo for work and like it very much (it's pretty tough) but they do cost more.

When buying a personal laptop last year, I bought a Toshiba laptop (Satellite C675D) and have been very happy with it. No problems. My only complaint is the power cable doesn't seat as well as I'd like (falls out pretty easily).

Good luck. smile.gif

Acer or Asus - they have the same internals as a lot of the more expensive brands at a much lower cost. You will be able to get much more for your dollar. We got my son an Acer for college and he absolutely loves it.

HP isn't very good all things considered. They are not impact resistant, and we have had more issues with them than any other machine we've bought. My favorite was the IBM thinkpad - look for Lenovo if price isn't an issue. Tough as nails machines that hold up REALLY well. Like I said, if you're looking to spend like $500-$600, Acer or Asus will get you a ton more than Lenovo will.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu