Columbus, OH - What a show!

Smug Monkey

Hello all!

We arrived in Columbus to discover that our seats were upgraded. We originally were in section 213, but got moved to Club Level. It was a really nice treat. Decent sized crowd. Probably a little over half full. No offensive drunks and everyone was friendly, as most RUSH fans are.

Waiting in anticipation I found it strange to finally see the boys in an arena. The other 3 shows I attended were all ampitheater. I instantly liked the arena setup better since it gave me a better view of the stage and we enjoyed the concert sitting down which was a first for me. My back and legs sure did appreciate it! Later, I also found the acoustics much more pleasing in an arena.

The lights dimmed and the crowd erupted. Everyone seemed to enjoy the intro video and there was laughter and applause as each guy was introduced in their own unique way. The CA clock counted down into the first song of the evening, Subdivisions!

I found myself taking it easy at this concert from the very beginning. I sat back and let the entire experience wash over me. I am not going to go over each song but will point out the highlights of the show that resonated with me.

First of all, every song played was WONDERFUL. That may be the RUSH fanboy in me, but I truly enjoyed each and every song. Grand Designs, one of my favorites, was a sight (and sound) to behold. Geddy really nailed this song melodically, especially the oh, oh, oh's at the end.

Territories was fantastic, and Analog Kid (especially the solo) melted my smiling face! Where's My Thing w/drum solo was presented with flair and meshed together extremely well. Far Cry knocked my socks off as it usually does. Such a good, rockin' tune that the guys cleary enjoy playing.

The 2nd set video intro was hilarious! I love it that the guys don't take themselves too seriously to play, as Geddy puts it, G'nomes.

The Anarchist was a visual and aural assault! The strings really added a wonderful element to the second set. I wasn't sure how it would sound, but it added so much depth and feeling to each song...even YYZ!

Headlong Flight was the show stopper of the evening in my opinion. Everything about this song lends itself to a big grand production. Geddy sounded so damn good in this song. I can't say enough about his performance. The high notes, and the length he held them gave me chicken skin (goosebumps).

The Clockwork Angel tunes were exhilarating live. There was such a freshness and warmth to the music and lyrics. Geddy's voice really was spot on during the CA portion of the set. I really enjoyed Halo Effect as a live song, and Alex's intro solo was inspired. The Garden was visually beautiful to look at and was played with such feeling. Loved seeing Alex on the piano and the guitar solo is so powerful and emotionally moving.

I was really impressed with The Manhattan Project and Red Sector A. I don't know if it was because they were played after the CA material, but these two songs were so tight and focused in their intensity.

Now we get to YYZ, TSOR, Tom Sawyer, and 2112. What can I say? The four songs really capped the night off well and the guys TORE UP these four songs. They really layed it on thick! Ending the 2112 finale with "Attention all planets of the Solar Federation" followed with the "We have assumed control" along with Alex's guitar growling like the hounds of hell was the perfect ending to a perfect evening. It will be one of those moments I won't forget!

The Arena atmosphere was top notch. The light show, pyro, and video presenatations were presented wonderfully with the theme of each song. The string ensemble was a revelation! Never distracting and added so much to the songs without being overbearing or obnoxious.

2.gif , as usual, did not dissapoint. As I was sitting there focused on my three favorite musicians on Earth during TSOR I thought of all the joy these men have brought to me over the years. A smile slowly emerged and I realized life can be really cool sometimes!

Thanks for reading,

Mark

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

Edited by Smug Monkey

Nice review. Sums up my experience here in DC. I think the tour and show will get a lot better as time goes on and it sounds like it already has. I too got the Fanboy in me that appreciates everything they do. laugh.gif

Thank you for your review 2.gif

It was a great show...a few screw ups here and there. One in the very beginning of The Garden with Alex. Neil wasn't at the top of his game catching his sticks either (LOL)....dropped a couple and the last one hit one of the crashes in front when it came down, could actually hear it clang when it hit.

Couple of vocal problems with Ged I remember too. He missed one line from one of the songs, can't remember which because he was over with Alex goofing off. tongue.gif

Beginning of Alex's solo there was no sound for a couple seconds.

All in all, it was a kick ass show...just loved seeing the boys again. The new material was fantastic.

Great to read such a positive review, and I completely agree that "Headlong Flight" was the highlight of the night both in terms of performance and overall energy. How many bands this far into their career can claim a new song as a highlight?? That's the power of Rush...

QUOTE (Smug Monkey @ Sep 21 2012, 09:52 AM)
...snipped...

Headlong Flight was the show stopper of the evening in my opinion.  Everything about this song lends itself to a big grand production.  Geddy sounded so damn good in this song.  I can't say enough about his performance.  The high notes, and the length he held them gave me chicken skin (goosebumps). 

...snipped...

Yes yes yes yes yes. Headlong Flight is phenomenally HUGE in concert. The highlight of the Chicago show that I saw on the 15th...and it earned one of the loudest responses of the night

QUOTE (pdurbin22 @ Sep 21 2012, 10:30 AM)

Great to read such a positive review, and I completely agree that "Headlong Flight" was the highlight of the night both in terms of performance and overall energy. How many bands this far into their career can claim a new song as a highlight?? That's the power of Rush...

No kidding, right?

I don't even care if it turns out that Geddy is getting a bit of "vocal assistance" on that last long "AGAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnn". I would buy a ticket to another show just to see this song again.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

I was there in section 103 last night with my 14 year old son. He left with a permanent grin. My highlight was Al's guitar solo in Analog Kid. He killed it! I also liked how both Alex and Geddy seemed to make eye contact with the strings as if they were rocking with them too.

Great night!

2.gif

QUOTE (Jimmy14 @ Sep 21 2012, 01:29 PM)
I was there in section 103 last night with my 14 year old son. He left with a permanent grin. My highlight was Al's guitar solo in Analog Kid. He killed it! I also liked how both Alex and Geddy seemed to make eye contact with the strings as if they were rocking with them too.

Great night!
2.gif

I was in 103 as well with my 14 yr old son...funny!

That's a great spot in my opinion. I have found that is much better than the floor

for the both of us as neither of us are that tall.

QUOTE (Khan @ Sep 21 2012, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (Jimmy14 @ Sep 21 2012, 01:29 PM)

Great night!
2.gif

I was in 103 as well with my 14 yr old son...funny!

That's a great spot in my opinion. I have found that is much better than the floor

for the both of us as neither of us are that tall.

We were in row R

I thought it was a very, very good show. I wasn't fond of all the 80's material but I'm not complaining. I could've done without "Territories", "Bravado" and "Force Ten" but they played fantastic. Neil did drop a couple sticks, which was great, actually. Turns out he is human, lol. Alex had some screwups like hitting some very wrong chords in "Seven Cities Of Gold". Geddy was fantastic if maybe some minor struggling vocally on "Grand Designs" but overall a fantastic effort by the boys and it's very clear they have a lot left in them. Edited by Jake2112

I thought the show was awesome. biggrin.gif

I was in 110, but literally one row behind us were some family friends, completely coincidental! ohmy.gif Some of our other friends were on the floor, row 2, center. angry.gif laugh.gif

For me, Where's My Thing, Seven Cities, Carnies, Headlong Flight, Garden and 2112 were the highlights. Even the songs I don't care as much for (Body Electric, Grand Designs, Analog Kid) sounded WAY better live (Analog Kid rocked! 1022.gif)

However.... Red Sector A. unsure.gif Slightly painful to listen to. Just a hot mess. Does not come off well live at all. That aside...

Much better than the Time Machine shows for me. smile.gif 2.gif

So to summarize, you guys in Columbus (an "A" set city) got:

Body Electric

Bravado

Seven Cities of Gold

Manhattan Project

TSOR

Overture/Temples/Finale

Oh..my.. (completely loses train of thought) drool1.gif

My show is Minneapolis on Monday.. also an "A" set date. When this tour first started, neither 7COG nor 2112 was on the "A" set.. now I could see both of them in place of WTW and Working Man. I loved the original "A" set... this would be close to heaven (crosses fingers, toes, and hair follicles that the Columbus set is played in Minneapolis) .

P.S. : Sitting down at a 2.gif concert?!? Pussy cat.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Sep 21 2012, 02:10 PM)
It was a good show, except I had 4 giants standing in front of me and someone spilled beer on me sad.gif but the boys were top notch as usual.

Anyone know what this sign said?

http://i.imgur.com/H8qlo.jpg

Looks like you were right by me. I was Floor 3 Row D.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Sep 22 2012, 08:27 AM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Sep 21 2012, 02:10 PM)
It was a good show, except I had 4 giants standing in front of me and someone spilled beer on me sad.gif but the boys were top notch as usual.

Anyone know what this sign said?

http://i.imgur.com/H8qlo.jpg

Looks like you were right by me. I was Floor 3 Row D.

Damn, I wish I was in D! I was all the way back in T sad.gif

QUOTE (Khan @ Sep 24 2012, 10:13 AM)
Gotta say I was disappointed in this tour's drum solo...too electronic-based for me.

I agree. Seems like the first couple of mini-solo's were heavy on the real drums, but what I perceived as the primary drum solo was way too electronic for me. Seeing him hit a black plastic cymbal with a wire sticking out of it is just not doing it for me. sad.gif

I'd love to hear him do that cowbell thing he used to do, with real cowbells, and also bring back the marimba bit as well (even if it's an electronic marimba tongue.gif )

I won the VIP lottery and managed to get into front row center(ish)!!! The strings were amazing!!! They took Manhatten Project to a whole new level. Not much love from Alex. I will remember til the day I die Geddy coming over during YYZ and hitting one of the killer bass licks while looking me dead in the eye. It made my life.

Loved, loved, LOVED the set list. I was really hoping for The Big Money and Bravado when they announced the tour. The guys didn't let me down!!

The Garden. Nuff said!!!

Stupis page will not let me post the photo. Here's a link!!

Columbus 9/20/12 Row A Seat 13

QUOTE (wmsb72673 @ Sep 24 2012, 02:21 PM)
I won the VIP lottery and managed to get into front row center(ish)!!! The strings were amazing!!! They took Manhatten Project to a whole new level. Not much love from Alex. I will remember til the day I die Geddy coming over during YYZ and hitting one of the killer bass licks while looking me dead in the eye. It made my life.

Loved, loved, LOVED the set list. I was really hoping for The Big Money and Bravado when they announced the tour. The guys didn't let me down!!

The Garden. Nuff said!!!

Stupis page will not let me post the photo. Here's a link!!

Columbus 9/20/12 Row A Seat 13

Row D Seat 1 It has spoiled me for life! biggrin.gif I met you not long after you opened your VIP. Then I opened my 4th row ticket. 653.gif I LOVED the show! So glad they played so many of the CA tunes.