Anyone Eating Wild Fish & Game?

Thunder Bay Rush

It's likely that my lifestyle is different from most people's. I live in northern Canada, (northwestern Ontario) way back in the bush, off the grid by three miles even... and I fish and hunt throughout the year. And, I almost never buy meat from the store.

Eating wild game is very good for you and it tastes great! For dinner last night, I had ruffed grouse braised in chicken broth and white wine, with garlic, onions, carrots and celery, small red potatoes, fresh herbs: flat leaf parsley and rosemary. Rustic and delicious!

I'm telling you... this meal was SO damn good. For anyone who hasn't yet tried eating wild game and fish, try it... you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Our moose and deer seasons open up soon. I'm going on a fly-in moose hunt on September 23. And, so far this fall, along with grouse, I've hunted and eaten rabbits (hare), ducks and Canada geese.

I would imagine some people think that hunting is cruel, etc, and everyone has their right to their opinions. But, if the thought of hunting doesn't bother you, try to find someone who is a hunter and see if you can get your hands on fresh meat this fall!!

If you are a hunter yourself... well, get your ass up in that treestand!

I do alot of cooking, so if anyone wants some help with cooking wild game or fish, just let me know.

We don't, but our dogs do. biggrin.gif

Seriously, they eat some ex$pensive premium food that includes salmon, bison, rabbit. . .their food costs more than ours, so it's a good thing they don't have to eat much of it.

It's worth it because for one thing, they shed a lot less on this high-end food. Not so many tumbleweeds of hair to clean up. And they really do seem to thrive on it.

For myself, I have tried venison. I spat it out when the guy who prepared it wasn't looking. WAY too gamy.

Oh, and I have had turtle! It was surprisingly good!

I've never tried frog legs, but I have heard they're really good! I do have a large beaver pond on my property and it's full of beavers, ducks, geese and - bull frogs.

Is there a certain type of frogs that are typically used? Anyone know about this?

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 18 2012, 09:26 AM)
I've never tried frog legs, but I have heard they're really good! I do have a large beaver pond on my property and it's full of beavers, ducks, geese and - bull frogs.

Is there a certain type of frogs that are typically used? Anyone know about this?

Bullfrogs. Very fun to hunt them...always bring mosquito repeallant. Here in the south we use frog gigs--a ten foot pole with a trident. Hunt at night only. easy pickin's when you spotlight them! excellent fried so damn good. Need about 20 for a good mess of them.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 18 2012, 11:21 PM)
Froglegs Kick Major Ass

100x's better than Chicken

Anybody else eat them?

The fried frog legs I had in my hometown in Florida were pretty tasty...but I wouldn't say they were better than fried chicken.

The frog legs I saw in China looked like they had just been ripped off a frog then thrown on a plate without any kind of cooking done. I passed on that.

Dove is one bird I have not yet tried and I've heard it is excellent! Good sport too they say... (bring lots of shells!) I have friends who hunt them in Ohio and they shoot lots of them and then have a big feast after, inviting all their friends and neighbors.

Great food - great times!

Yesterday evening I shot a big fat drake mallard in my back pond... so, he is marinating right now in red wine, garlic, bay leaves and juniper berries. I'm going make a creamy white wine risotto and some root veg to go along with it. Gonna rock this evening!!!!!

653.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 18 2012, 10:21 AM)
Froglegs Kick Major Ass

Anybody else eat them?

Yes, but as a Tennessean, you also like Mountain Oysters.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Sep 19 2012, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 18 2012, 10:21 AM)
Froglegs Kick Major Ass

Anybody else eat them?

Yes, but as a Tennessean, you also like Mountain Oysters.

Never eaten them nor seen them

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 19 2012, 10:08 AM)
Dove is one bird I have not yet tried and I've heard it is excellent! Good sport too they say... (bring lots of shells!) I have friends who hunt them in Ohio and they shoot lots of them and then have a big feast after, inviting all their friends and neighbors.

Great food - great times!

Yesterday evening I shot a big fat drake mallard in my back pond... so, he is marinating right now in red wine, garlic, bay leaves and juniper berries. I'm going make a creamy white wine risotto and some root veg to go along with it. Gonna rock this evening!!!!!

653.gif

Great sport! I had a buddy opening weekend limit out (15 in South TX) in one box of shells. Took me almost two laugh.gif Enjoy your duck, brother! trink39.gif

Eat lots of Venison and fish we catch in the Gulf of Mexico.

Deer season just opened up for archery, with any luck I will

start the annual hunting thread in the One Little Victory section.

Please post pics of your successful hunts

Need some Moose Pics yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

My parents live on 80 acres about 50 miles north of Green Bay. I deer hunt with my dad every fall. I love venison. Nothing better than some tenderloin on the grill. drool1.gif

My brother also has a boat and occasionally we'll go onto Lake Michigan for salmon. Very delicious.

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 20 2012, 12:38 AM)
QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 19 2012, 07:48 PM)
I can't figure out how to post pictures... Bill Gates, I ain't!!

Upload to a site like imgur, copy url, on your add reply screen- click the IMG button and paste the image url into the field. That'll embed it in the post.

Hey Rugged Dude

Here is a YouTube clip on how to post pic. The Rush Forum uses this same procedure.

There is also a link to photobucket for you to open a free account and up load your pictures...Not that hard once you get the hang of it, Practice

http://photobucket.com/

I will eat most any game the flys swims or walks on all 4. LOL Not much of a hunter, been as a kid . cCrabbing for the past 2yrs with the GF BiL. Steamed crabs are good eats. TBR is eating quite well drool1.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Sep 19 2012, 03:36 PM)
Eat lots of Venison and fish we catch in the Gulf of Mexico.
Deer season just opened up for archery, with any luck I will
start the annual hunting thread in the One Little Victory section.
Please post pics of your successful hunts
Need some Moose Pics yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Our deer season (archery only) opened on September 1. Too warm for me just yet... I'll start hunting in a couple weeks or so when it cools down and the deer start moving around. Our rut starts to really rock around Oct 20 or so. My treestand is about 200 yars behind my house, so it's not like a have to go far or book holidays!

I'm going on a fly-in moose hunting trip On Sunday... I'm producing a video... so, it's technically a "business trip." Ahem...

If I can figure out HOW to post pictures, I'll put a few up. I am NOT a computer guy at all... I have hard time doing basic stuff. Apple is NOT considering me to take over Syeve Job's old position, that much I can assure you.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Sep 20 2012, 12:59 PM)
I will eat most any game the flys swims or walks on all 4. LOL Not much of a hunter, been as a kid . cCrabbing for the past 2yrs with the GF BiL. Steamed crabs are good eats. TBR is eating quite well drool1.gif

It sounds pretty much like your sexual habits complete with crabs and all. tongue.gif

My husband went on a wild pig hunt in Texas this past year. They got one large pig, brought it back to NYS and took it to our butcher to get our choice of cuts...

However, the shop had a fire and almost all our stuff was destroyed except for the wild sausage! It's pretty good but very dry. Wild cuts have way less fat which is great health wise but when you get used to corn raised meat with flavorful fat throughout, it's an adjustment.

We raise out own beef cattle, mainly grass fed (only grain in the winter so they survive the cold) and its the same deal, but i like it a lot better.

And we love wild caught fish but where we live is quite far from sea, so all fish is insanely expensive, unfortunately.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Sep 21 2012, 06:30 AM)
QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Sep 20 2012, 12:59 PM)
I will eat most any game the flys swims or walks on all 4. LOL  Not much of a hunter, been as a kid . cCrabbing for the past 2yrs  with the GF BiL. Steamed crabs are good eats. TBR is eating quite well drool1.gif

It sounds pretty much like your sexual habits complete with crabs and all. tongue.gif

Funny......

So, it doesn't look like I'll be eating any moose this week... didn't see anything other than a million ducks and geese, a thousand beavers and a dozen eagles...

And, some walleye, but they are in my belly now. Actually, they're in my outhouse. tongue.gif

I lived in Yellowknife for 10 years, fresh fish from Great Slave Lake daily, caribou and moose when in season.

I can't stand to see an animal die, but I sure love to eat them as long as someone else does the killin'.

Oh ya, fresh arctic char flown in daily from Cambridge Bay Nunavut, my second fav fish to eat after pickerel.

Nummy!