I Just DO NOT understand...

Thunder Bay Rush

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 17 2012, 02:13 PM)
I saw Pocupine Tree play The Incident in it's entirety and that was their 10th record! Not all the fans had the record but everybody was glued watching and listening to every note being played because it's their favorite band performing their art live. I still dont get how you can see your favorite artist live performing their craft in person and have so much hate for it.

The only reasonable explanation i have is simply age. When you are young you are more open to change and you want to discover and explore. I guess as people grow older they think they know it all and dont want to listen to new ideas...I'm 30 and I hope that when im 50 years old like these fans i dont become as narrow minded and shallow as the people that complain about the setlist and still will be able to appreciate all kinds of new art.

I completely disagree with your age theory. I'm 49 and I'll be hanging on every note that RUSH plays.

BTW, I was also at quite a few of those PT performances of The Incident...I loved every one of them!

Being narrow minded and shallow has nothing to do with age.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (eshine @ Sep 17 2012, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 17 2012, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Sep 17 2012, 02:11 PM)
the pathetic whiners of the setlist are loud on the internet, but completely drowned out but the roaring cheer of the actual audience at the show.

The Chicago show is one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

The whiners are few and far between...fans overwhelmingly support this setlist. Clockwork Angels is a treat, a real monster of an album 2.gif

Yep.

The crowd in Chicago were completely in from start to finish. I didn't hear or notice a single complaint about the new material and would have laughed at anyone who did.

It was a spectacular concert.

Did Neil come out of his shell and shoot t-shirts in the crowd?

I saw Pocupine Tree play The Incident in it's entirety and that was their 10th record! Not all the fans had the record but everybody was glued watching and listening to every note being played because it's their favorite band performing their art live. I still dont get how you can see your favorite artist live performing their craft in person and have so much hate for it.

The only reasonable explanation i have is simply age. When you are young you are more open to change and you want to discover and explore. I guess as people grow older they think they know it all and dont want to listen to new ideas...I'm 30 and I hope that when im 50 years old like these fans i dont become as narrow minded and shallow as the people that complain about the setlist and still will be able to appreciate all kinds of new art.

very broad generalization there. narrow minded and shallow say you?

really?

i am 46 and still actively seeking for new music. new music i like and have seen live includes animals as leaders, between the buried and me,mastodon, and the mars volta. i saw the second leg of the incident tour, it was ok but the nil recurring show was a lot IMO. not like PT is really a new group though.

secondly, no one here is hating on anything. disappointed, you bet but hate? come on.

QUOTE (tjtull @ Sep 17 2012, 02:18 PM)
I saw Pocupine Tree play The Incident in it's entirety and that was their 10th record! Not all the fans had the record but everybody was glued watching and listening to every note being played  because it's their favorite band performing their art live. I still dont get how you can see your favorite artist live performing their craft in person and have so much hate for it.

I completely disagree with your age theory. I'm 49 and I'll be hanging on every note that RUSH plays.

BTW, I was also at quite a few of those PT performances of The Incident...I loved every one of them!

Being narrow minded and shallow has nothing to do with age.

goodpost.gif

he is still a little wet behind the ears isn't he?

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 17 2012, 02:19 PM)
the pathetic whiners of the setlist are loud on the internet, but completely drowned out but the roaring cheer of the actual audience at the show.

The whiners are few and far between...fans overwhelmingly support this setlist. Clockwork Angels is a treat, a real monster of an album 2.gif

Yep.

The crowd in Chicago were completely in from start to finish. I didn't hear or notice a single complaint about the new material and would have laughed at anyone who did.

Yes he did. He had one of those tee shirt shooters like they have at NBA games. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 17 2012, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 17 2012, 02:19 PM)

Yep.

Yes he did. He had one of those tee shirt shooters like they have at NBA games. laugh.gif

He even made a silly face that got a lot of crowd reaction.

Funny - the similarities of this statement and the Scott Walker recall. laugh.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 17 2012, 02:27 PM)
I saw Pocupine Tree play The Incident in it's entirety and that was their 10th record! Not all the fans had the record but everybody was glued watching and listening to every note being played  because it's their favorite band performing their art live. I still dont get how you can see your favorite artist live performing their craft in person and have so much hate for it.

very broad generalization there. narrow minded and shallow say you?

really?

i am 46 and still actively seeking for new music. new music i like and have seen live includes animals as leaders, between the buried and me,mastodon, and the mars volta. i saw the second leg of the incident tour, it was ok but the nil recurring show was a lot IMO. not like PT is really a new group though.

secondly, no one here is hating on anything. disappointed, you bet but hate? come on.

I'm 43, and the older I get, the more I'm enjoying the newer material from Rush.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 17 2012, 02:37 PM)

Funny - the similarities of this statement and the Scott Walker recall. laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

tjtull

From my experience there's a segment of middle aged people (not everybody!) that pretty much thinks their old ways/ideas are superior to the new ways/ideas and dont like to venture out of their comfort zone.

It's obviously not everybody. For example: I see people in their 60's with their ipads all the time here in NYC but there is a segment that doesn't even want to learn how to use a computer. They just don't see the point of a lot of new things and gadgets. Hey my father is one of them. Everything from the old ways and their youth is in their minds just much better. They are very protective of their experiences and i think a lot of these older folks are the ones complaining. I dont think it's the young Rush fans doing the bulk of the complaining.

For these types of older folks Rush is Fly by Night, Hemispheres, Exit Stage Left, etc If Rush plays something else is just not as good simply because it's new to them and was not a part of their youth Rush experience. There just not as open to new things because they think that old>new in everything in their lives. That's my opinion based on my experiences dealing with older people in my family and at work.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Sep 17 2012, 02:35 PM)

yes.gif

I personally find it narrow-minded to think that raising a few objections equates to hating.

2.gif

This.

But the real fans here have spoken. You're either narrow-minded, a poor music fan, not a real Rush fan or a combination of the above unless you fall to your knees and loudly proclaim that every show and album is the "BEST ONE EVER!"

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 02:55 PM)

yes.gif

I personally find it narrow-minded to think that raising a few objections equates to hating.

2.gif

This.

But the real fans here have spoken. You're either narrow-minded, a poor music fan, not a real Rush fan or a combination of the above unless you fall to your knees and loudly proclaim that every show and album is the "BEST ONE EVER!"

But it was the best Rush show ever. wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Sep 17 2012, 02:56 PM)

yes.gif

2.gif

This.

Nicely done. trink38.gif

QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 02:57 PM)

yes.gif

2.gif

This.

Nicely done. trink38.gif

It was BY FAR the best Rush show I have seen this year.

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 17 2012, 02:48 PM)
tjtull
From my experience there's a segment of middle aged people (not everybody!) that pretty much thinks their old ways/ideas are superior to the new ways/ideas and dont like to venture out of their comfort zone.

It's obviously not everybody. For example: I see people in their 60's with their ipads all the time here in NYC but there is a segment that doesn't even want to learn how to use a computer. They just don't see the point of a lot of new things and gadgets. Hey my father is one of them. Everything from the old ways and their youth is in their minds just much better. They are very protective of their experiences and i think a lot of these older folks are the ones complaining. I dont think it's the young Rush fans doing the bulk of the complaining.

For these types of older folks Rush is Fly by Night, Hemispheres, Exit Stage Left, etc If Rush plays something else is just not as good simply because it's new to them and was not a part of their youth Rush experience. There just not as open to new things because they think that old>new in everything in their lives. That's my opinion based on my experiences dealing with older people in my family and at work.

Maybe it's true in your experience but I'll tell you that most of my friends actively seek out new experiences, new technology, and new music. Could be that I just hang around with people who are cool cool.gif

You may be confusing the causal RUSH fan from the 70's/80's (the ones who have taken a "break" from RUSH and just recently picked them back up) with the avid fans who have followed them their entire career. I've overheard people at RUSH shows lamenting the lack of "old" stuff...and those people were actually younger than me. So, I know they are out there and they come in all ages. When you have such a huge back catalog, that's going to happen, it's completely unavoidable.

Another thing to consider is that many people just aren't music junkies and can only get into what they are familiar with. Even fewer people are RUSH junkies (although sites like this make you wonder). So...there are a lot of other factors, other than age, that contribute to what someone prefers to hear at a live concert.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Sep 17 2012, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (moedrabowsky @ Sep 17 2012, 02:57 PM)

yes.gif

2.gif

This.

Nicely done. trink38.gif

It was BY FAR the best Rush show I have seen this year.

laugh.gif

I'm positive that this will be the case for me.

when i said that these people were hating on Rush i didnt actually mean "hate". It was uh slang...

From Urban Dictionary...

Hating is the end result of being a hater. Hating is wide spread, very popular and a highly enjoyable past time for many. Contrary to popular belief, Hating is not due to jealousy bur rather the good feeling of putting someone down while simultaneously increasing your own ego.

It might bother some people but there's a few posters here that fit that description. Lots of setlist complainers are people that are haters meaning they are always complaining! We see them complain and complain regardless of the subject. Hell, they even complain and ridicule people for liking the music of their favorite band lol Hows that for being a hater!

Im sure there's people that dislike the setlist and not fit that description but I'm also sure that some people that bash Rush for the setlist and claim to have been robbed etc fit the descriptions of being either old and stubborn or simply a hater.

Obviously if you are 50 years old and going to Coheed and Cambria concerts you shouldnt feel alluded as someone who is old and stubborn. Age can be mental. Neil is freaking 60 years old and he mentions Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory as one of his fav records on Traveling Music! I mean c'mon everybody knows someone like the ones im talking about.There's a lot of older folks out there that it's their way or the highway and they are always complaining about how everything was better before and how the old stuff is so much better than the new stuff. I hear it all the time! Teachers were better, buildings were better, cars were better, people were better, music was better, books were better, the government was better... I mean some of these people are the ones that are complaining.

Everybody s entitled to his/her opinion, the OP said he didnt understand why many people are criticizing Rush and the setlist. Well my opinion is that the age of Rush fans it's a factor as some of them are becoming quite grumpy and stubborn as they age.

Edited by Astroboy2112

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 17 2012, 12:03 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Sep 17 2012, 09:40 AM)
The complaining isn't about CA.  It's about the ignoring of so many of the other albums.

trink39.gif

Bingo.

They played a lot of the 70's in the past 2000's tours.....

The real problem is people are spoiled brats!

When CA was released it was clearly obvious that they were going to play 7+ songs from it....You could just tell....I think CA is a tremendous CD and probably their best material since MP( my opinion) and am happy to see that they are playing a lot of it....

The perfect setlist is never going to happen, get over it people!

Yeah! The fact is if they decide to play Lamneth, The Necromancer, the Cygnus books, etc All the casuals will go WTF at the concerts just as they are going WTF with the synth stuff. I have a bootleg from the Counterparts tour and I can clearly hear a guy going wtf is this? And another guy yelling Hemishpheres!!! and the guy goes WHAT?! and the die hard goes Hemispheres!!!! Hemispheres!!!! lol Edited by Astroboy2112

QUOTE (tjtull @ Sep 17 2012, 03:07 PM)
Maybe it's true in your experience but I'll tell you that most of my friends actively seek out new experiences, new technology, and new music. Could be that I just hang around with people who are cool cool.gif

i have no doubt thats the case.... 1022.gif

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 17 2012, 10:57 PM)
Yeah! The fact is if they decide to play Lamneth, The Necromancer, the Cygnus books, etc All the casuals will go WTF at the concerts just as they are going WTF with the synth stuff. I have a bootleg from the Counterparts tour and I can clearly hear a guy going wtf is this? And another guy yelling Hemishpheres!!! and the guy goes WHAT?! and the die hard goes Hemispheres!!!! Hemispheres!!!! lol

Welcome to the world of rock-fandom. It happens with every single band that has been around for more than a couple of decades. It has a whole lot less to do with the age of the fan than it does the respect the fan has for the band.