rayrushray

QUOTE (rayrushray @ Sep 14 2012, 06:57 AM)
For all the 10,000.00 fans on TRF that are elated with the bands set list decisions, there will be hundreds of thousand of fans not on TRF that are disappointed.

Make no mistake hard core fans, the casual fans sitting next to you that you deem unworthy, are the ones that allow Rush to still play in arenas rather than theaters.

5,500 to 6,000 fans in Pittsburgh may soon become the norm on this tour rather than the exception.

Like my opinion or not, the financial realities will soon set in.

Not in Tampa! There are only a handful of tickets left...

Casual fans aren't true 2.gif fans! moon.gif

Plus I would think Rush has far less casuals than a lot of other bands. Our reputation to the general public is a hardcore, rabid fanbase. And a minimum of 5 to 6 thousand a night wouldn't be too shabby after 40 years.

Hmmmmm, I know... I'll check in on CP! That'll brighten up my otherwise miserable day! What, with all the great tour info and snippets from this town or that...

WTF!!!!!!!!!! This is our band! They are 60 years old and they are still out there DOING IT. I understand that some of you might be a little bummed that they didn't roll out Necromancer and Fancy Dancer for this tour but seriously, lighten up.

I will only say that I like the way Maiden sets up their tours. They let the public know ahead of time what's coming. (Somewhere Back in Time, Final Frontier, Seventh Son Reprise) I suppose for those of you who don't like the 80's material it would have been nice to know what was coming. Sorry bout that.

I had purchased tickets in a few cities for relatives and friends for their birthdays months back and for the most part are casual Rush fans who know the hits and a few deep cuts. I went to Amazon.com and purchased copies of Power Windows since it is $4.99 on cd, Clockwork Angels when it was $5.99, and Roll The Bones which was $4.99 so they had an idea of what they were going to see. All of them thanked me a great deal as they hadn't owned Power Windows since the 80s.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Sep 14 2012, 10:03 PM)
Casual fans aren't true 2.gif fans! moon.gif

Plus I would think Rush has far less casuals than a lot of other bands. Our reputation to the general public is a hardcore, rabid fanbase. And a minimum of 5 to 6 thousand a night wouldn't be too shabby after 40 years.

If only they were playing at 5 to 6 thousand seat capacity arenas instead of eleven to fourteen thousand seat capacity arenas.. sad.gif

All of this negative stuff early on in the tour, Set list bitchin, poor sound mix and less then full attendance one huge bummer.. Really is a surprise with CA being one of there best albums in years thought this tour would carry the trend from Time Machine crowd wise. It does look that the Q show in Cleveland will be around 7,000 just like Vapor Trails in 2002. Man that's depressing, but going have a great time besides can't wait!!! smile.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

In this tour you have 18 songs in a row, including the CA songs, which many

people have not heard before, that is longer than a regular concert, like iron

maiden, or metallica , no hits to get the crowd going, they are playing at best

9 b sides, CA is a great rock album , but there playing synth era music with it

the first set is a very poor setlist, they have to put some hits in there , people

pay for this so called 3 hour show, after the last tour, they got some new fans

this is really disappointing, not a good way to promote a new album. I saw

iron maiden and neil young do shows like this, I check the setlist now.

trink38.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (DDOZZY @ Sep 15 2012, 03:49 AM)
In this tour you have 18 songs in a row, including the CA songs, which many

people have not heard before, that is longer than a regular concert, like iron

maiden, or metallica , no hits to get the crowd going, they are playing at best

9 b sides, CA is a great rock album , but there playing synth era music with it

the first set is a very poor setlist, they have to put some hits in there , people

pay for this so called 3 hour show, after the last tour, they got some new fans

this is really disappointing, not a good way to promote a new album. I saw

iron maiden and neil young do shows like this, I check the setlist now.

trink38.gif trink39.gif

Playing most of a new album is not a good way to promote a new album? OK........ confused13.gif

No , playing 8 or 9 songs which many people have not heard before, like in the

first set, before playing the new songs, is not a good way to promote a new

album, trink38.gif 1022.gif popcorn.gif

QUOTE (DDOZZY @ Sep 15 2012, 09:08 AM)

We're going back to the instant gratification thing again, aren't we? Surely Rush are more than that. To many they've released probably the best hard rock album of the year, and they seem to be very proud of it too, so why wouldn't they play most of it?

There are too many bands out there phoning in "best of" setlists night after night, I for one am thrilled Rush isn't one of them.

To think Yes played all of Topographic Oceans when it was released. And audiences bitched then too.

This whole thing of "I've paid my money godammit and I want to hear Freeebird, NOW!!" drives me doolally. Whatever happened to going to gigs and being surprised, or letting the artists bring you on a journey to unknown places?

When Yes played Dublin in 2003, Jon announced they were about to play In The Presence Of, a highlight from Magnification and some prick roared up from the crowd, "Play some CLASSIC Yes Jon!!", you could see Anderson wince.

We all wait years for new music from our favourite band(s), and then when they bring it out on the road we bitch. What the f**k are we on?

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 15 2012, 05:18 AM)

We all wait years for new music from our favourite band(s), and then when they bring it out on the road we bitch. What the f**k are we on?

Entitlement. It is a disease that is infecting the world.

QUOTE (DDOZZY @ Sep 15 2012, 04:08 AM)

While I like the set, I do agree with the point you're making. The set opens with two big hits everyone will know and then they go into the deep cuts which is fine. But since they're doing so many new songs to start the second set and so many deep cuts in the first, they should end the first set with a hit. I like Far Cry, it works very well live but the first set should end with Limelight.

As for the second set, nine new songs all in a row is too much. They're doing almost an hour of music a lot of people won't be familiar with or haven't listened to enough yet to really get a feel for. I would drop Halo Effet and WTW and play Seven Cities every night. That would be enough material to promote the album properly. I would also break up the new stuff with a hit in the middle so you don't lose too many people.

I would do the second set like this:

Caravan

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Carnies

Dreamline (rotate every other show with New World Man)

Seven Cities Of Gold

The Wreckers

Headlong Fliight

The Garden

Freewill (rotate every other show with Red Barchetta)

Manhattan Project (I would be OK with them dropping RSA and keeping this every show instead)

The rest of the set can then be the same as it is now. I know that a lot of people are gonna say, "screw the casual fans and the people only going to hear the hits" and normally I would agree with you. But you've gotta remember that the bulk of the people going are those kind of fans. When you're playing a three hour show the band needs to play songs that get the whole crowd going. This is a long show and playing a lot of music people don't know will result in a bored audience and that can give the show a bad vibe. I'm not saying Rush needs to play all the hits they have, but they sure can add just a few more in and have a set that will please everyone no matter what kind of fan you are smile.gif

The more I hear about people complaining they need "hits" in the list the more I'm looking forward to the Q Cleveland concert! 1022.gif There's some great tunes from the 80's GUP on up would love to hear live again especially deep cuts rarely played. I know there's plenty of standards I'm bored to death with.. schla03.gif ... But will enjoy never the less... tongue.gif