SPOILER - the CA string ensemble

sitboaf

There were 8 musicians total, standing behind Neil on a riser.

They came out for the start of the second set, and left just before the last, pre-encore song.

There were 2 cellists (in the center) and 6 violins/violas - 3 on either side.

The cellists sat, of course, but the others stood and rocked out pretty hard. They looked pretty excited.

They all wore black pants and black shirts with a round symbol on them, though I can't recall what exactly it was.

Their sound wasn't terribly prominent, except on some of the newer songs.

Those who feared that Rush was going to shoehorn strings into classic songs can rest easy. They were certainly less audible than Geddy's keys usually are.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:56 PM)
They definitely did not overpower, rather complimented the songs. And they only played on parts, not the whole way through.

I believe the symbol on the shirts was something rushy.

A bit off topic but how did Geddy's voice hold up tonight?

Much thanks smile.gif

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Sep 8 2012, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 7 2012, 10:56 PM)
They definitely did not overpower, rather complimented the songs.  And they only played on parts, not the whole way through.

I believe the symbol on the shirts was something rushy.

A bit off topic but how did Geddy's voice hold up tonight?

Much thanks smile.gif

Geddy's voice sounded AMAZING.

He only shied away from maybe (MAYBE!) 3 or 4 high notes during the whole concert.

He belted high and hard all night long. Grade of "A", easily.

That's the most bulls*** setlist I've ever seen. 4 songs from PoW (ONE OF THERE WORST ALBUMS EVER) and not even the best one (Marathon)? 2 songs from Signals and Moving Pictures: REALLY??? They are complete dumbasses and will never ever be the greatest band ever...

My dad now doesn't even want to go anyone because the setlist is a giant pile of s***

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Sep 8 2012, 12:14 AM)
That's the most bulls*** setlist I've ever seen.  4 songs from PoW (ONE OF THERE WORST ALBUMS EVER) and not even the best one (Marathon)?  2 songs from Signals and Moving Pictures: REALLY???  They are complete dumbasses and will never ever be the greatest band ever...

My dad now doesn't even want to go anyone because the setlist is a giant pile of s***

angry.gif  angry.gif  angry.gif

Please tell me that this is sarcasm.

Its one thing to not like the setlist (a perfectly valid complaint) but to say they're dumbasses and not "the greatest band ever" for not playing what you want them to play is ridiculous. facepalm.gif

QUOTE (sitboaf @ Sep 7 2012, 09:51 PM)

Those who feared that Rush was going to shoehorn strings into classic songs can rest easy.

That was my biggest fear going into tonight. I think I read somewhere on TRF that TSoR was going to have strings, and I was reeeeeeally skeptical. But I'm very relieved by the reports of tonight!

QUOTE (Territorial_Game @ Sep 8 2012, 12:42 AM)
QUOTE (sitboaf @ Sep 7 2012, 09:51 PM)

Those who feared that Rush was going to shoehorn strings into classic songs can rest easy.

That was my biggest fear going into tonight. I think I read somewhere on TRF that TSoR was going to have strings, and I was reeeeeeally skeptical. But I'm very relieved by the reports of tonight!

Yeah, tho it was noisy in there.

When the CD/DVD comes out, I'm sure the strings will be plenty audible, but by no means overwhelming or even very prominent except in a few CA spots.

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Sep 7 2012, 11:14 PM)
That's the most bulls*** setlist I've ever seen. 4 songs from PoW (ONE OF THERE WORST ALBUMS EVER) and not even the best one (Marathon)? 2 songs from Signals and Moving Pictures: REALLY??? They are complete dumbasses and will never ever be the greatest band ever...

rofl3.gif

The strings were barely audible. They played WITH the guys' electric instruments, and the guys drowned them out. The string musicians played no "solos" or anything like that.

The symbols on their shirts were the alchemy symbols from the album artwork, and not every player wore the same symbol. I also noticed some of the players were young and tattooed.

facepalm.gif

Come on, seriously?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 8 2012, 03:00 PM)
The strings were barely audible. They played WITH the guys' electric instruments, and the guys drowned them out. The string musicians played no "solos" or anything like that.

The symbols on their shirts were the alchemy symbols from the album artwork, and not every player wore the same symbol. I also noticed some of the players were young and tattooed.

Exactly.

Are you in the band Tool?

Cause that's what you sound like...

2.gif

Are you going to post this in every single thread? Because still, nobody cares

the string ensemble just doesnt matter really

an idea that didnt work out even

id let em go now if possible

theres gotta be something more worthwhile they could be doing

and besides, they look kinda silly headbanging in background

LOL @ this thread.

The strings were tasty last night.

I was able to hear them just fine in the mix... they were not too loud but definitely audible.

I loved the joy on their faces to be honest and their body language was awesome. Plus their placement was perfect.

Haters gonna hate...

Really really glad that the strings were not over powering, or distracting. I wonder who they are, and if any of them were crazy Rush fans or if they had never heard any Rush, and what they think of playing in a Rush concert?

Do you think having to account for other players affected the chemistry between the boys any?