Indian food

Running Rebel

There was never any Indian restaurants around and I don't have much experience with it. Definately the weakest of my culinary areas. I finally ventured into a couple places recently and am loving it.

They seem to have great vegan or vegetarian options and I'd love to cook some of the food. Hell, at this point I've done buffets and barely know the names of the dishes.

Anyone ever cook or have experience in this area? Recomendations?

I love Indian food. It is one of my top favorites. There is a great restaurant here called Cedars that has amazing dishes. So if ever in Seattle... go there!

I really enjoy Bal Arneson's show, 'Spice Goddess' on the Cooking Channel. I find her recipes to be fairly easy and always tasty. I picked up some Garam Masala (a traditional Indian warm spice mixture) in a PCC market. I know you can make your own but I figured I'd buy some first and ended up liking the PCC mixture enough to buy enough for a large jar.

(I love Bal's accent. I could listen to her all day.)

She has a cookbook that I want to pick up. Haven't explored too many websites with Indian dishes yet but will pass them along if I find some good ones.

Would love to hear what recipes other people use!

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 7 2012, 06:03 PM)
I love Indian food. It is one of my top favorites. There is a great restaurant here called Cedars that has amazing dishes. So if ever in Seattle... go there!

I really enjoy Bal Arneson's show, 'Spice Goddess' on the Cooking Channel. I find her recipes to be fairly easy and always tasty. I picked up some Garam Masala (a traditional Indian warm spice mixture) in a PCC market. I know you can make your own but I figured I'd buy some first and ended up liking the PCC mixture enough to buy enough for a large jar.

She has a cookbook that I want to pick up. Haven't explored too many websites with Indian dishes yet but will pass them along if I find some good ones.

Yhanks janie, the problem I find with websites is if I am unfamiliar with the spices or combos it's tough to get a feel for what the dish will taste like. I will def watch that show. I went into a local eyhnic arket that had tons of garam masala and other similar things but was overwhelmed by the choices and realized i was out of my element. The show sounds like a great way to pick up some tips.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Sep 8 2012, 04:11 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 7 2012, 06:03 PM)
I love Indian food. It is one of my top favorites. There is a great restaurant here called Cedars that has amazing dishes. So if ever in Seattle...  go there!

Yhanks janie, the problem I find with websites is if I am unfamiliar with the spices or combos it's tough to get a feel for what the dish will taste like. I will def watch that show. I went into a local eyhnic arket that had tons of garam masala and other similar things but was overwhelmed by the choices and realized i was out of my element. The show sounds like a great way to pick up some tips.

Her show is a great way to feel comfortable about making Indian dishes. Be sure to stock your pantry with onions, garlic and fresh ginger. For spices, you'll want to have garam masala, ground coriander, ground cardamom, ground turmeric, ground cumin and I think that's a good start. I also keep my pantry stocked with canned coconut milk (I got a great tip from watching Bal's show... don't shake the coconut milk. Just open the can and scoop out the solidified coconut milk that always forms on the top of the can - you'll find in canned coconut milk, it separates so the solid milk is on top and the bottom is very watery). You'll get a stronger coconut flavor and a thicker sauce for your dish.

Chicken Jalfrezi and my favourite, Korma.

My husband makes us Chicken Tikka once a week usually. Love that. Could eat it all day. Indian food rocks.

Those are just mains. You also have the different somosas, chicken pakora, Baajis etc. Lots to choose from.

My son actually ate a whole dish of Vindaloo....I think he may have been ill afterwards!! Even the restaurant fellas told him not to order it. But he's stubborn wink.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 22 2012, 08:55 AM)
http://www.squarehe.com/images/0605/tandoori-chicken.jpg

drool1.gif

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1310/1064563564_0f3abd2abc_o.jpg

unsure.gif

We have some wonderful Indian restaurants in the area. Mmmm... saag paneer, korma, naan, aloo, curry chicken, tandoori chicken. Now I'm hungry for Indian food. Saturday road trip to Shrewsbury for lunch buffet! drool1.gif

That's a pretty bad name for a restaurant. It has to be pronounced differently. Surely they don't mean... unsure.gif

I really like Indian foods and curries, saag paneer is my favorite single dish. It is also one of those dishes that you can really make really rich to vegan and can cook fairly quickly or in a crock pot. You can use any kind of greens or a mixture. For the fatty part of the dish you can go full on, make your own paneer (cheese) or use heavy cream or you can use yogurt or tofu. Spice it how you like.

Indian cooking, like any other is kind of a make it your own thing.

Buffets are usually what you will find at lunch time for Indian foods and some can be really good.

If you like Indian food, you might like Ethiopian, actually I prefer it.

Oh yeah, Indian food is very diverse but...

The more southern the Indian food the less I enjoy it. It starts to creep into Thai, which can be good but I really do not like coconut in almost any form. I do not find the taste terrible but when used it really seems to dominate the flavor, even the smallest bit.