Rush not nice guys?!

skullchrist

Not sure what to think. My interest in Rush overall is waning regardless of what the Runaways think of the band.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (skullchrist @ Aug 22 2012, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 22 2012, 09:10 AM)
Not sure what to think. My interest in Rush overall is waning regardless of what the Runaways think of the band.

Why?

Well, I think Neil's negativity for one (let's not argue again about that, my mind is unchanged), but I think even without that I just seem to be losing interest.

I am excited about the concert in NH in two weeks, but I have a feeling that after that show, the afterglow will simply not last. I haven't even played Clockwork Angels very often much less anything else in quite awhile.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 22 2012, 09:30 AM)

Why?

Well, I think Neil's negativity for one (let's not argue again about that, my mind is unchanged), but I think even without that I just seem to be losing interest.

I am excited about the concert in NH in two weeks, but I have a feeling that after that show, the afterglow will simply not last. I haven't even played Clockwork Angels very often much less anything else in quite awhile.

Hmm...well it's okay to take a break. I go through cycles where I listen to them for a while and then switch to something else for a while.

One can have too much of anything, even a good thing.

Edited by skullchrist

I do go through phases where I might revisit some band and really listen to a lot of their music. Right now, I've been listening to a lot of Tina Turner. I saw her in concert back in 1997 and she put on a hell of a show. I read her autobiography "I, Tina" which talks mostly about the abuse she suffered while living with ex husband Ike. It was made into a film called "What's Love Got to do with it" with Angela Bassett playing her and Laurence Fishburne playing Ike.

Anyway, I like the positive energy that Tina has around her. While she is still a Christian, she started practicing Buddhism and the combination of both belief systems give her a positive outlook on things and a way to look at things differently.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 22 2012, 09:53 AM)
I do go through phases where I might revisit some band and really listen to a lot of their music. Right now, I've been listening to a lot of Tina Turner. I saw her in concert back in 1997 and she put on a hell of a show. I read her autobiography "I, Tina" which talks mostly about the abuse she suffered while living with ex husband Ike. It was made into a film called "What's Love Got to do with it" with Angela Bassett playing her and Laurence Fishburne playing Ike.

Anyway, I like the positive energy that Tina has around her. While she is still a Christian, she started practicing Buddhism and the combination of both belief systems give her a positive outlook on things and a way to look at things differently.

Wow! Tina Turner huh? Never thought I would hear her name on TRF.

I've recently been getting into collecting extended 12" singles from 80's Pop and New Wave bands and I found her 'Better Be Good to Me' 12" single which is like seven minutes long! It's always cool to hear the extended mix and sometimes they'll have an unreleased track on the B-side as well.

I can understand what you mean about Neil but honestly I perceive his philosophical approach as cautionary rather than deliberate negativity. But then again I listen to some pretty extreme music so his lyrical content is relatively tame to me (as you can see I have a very diverse taste in music, lol). wacko.gif

Edited by skullchrist

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 22 2012, 10:10 AM)

Your interest in Rush has been waning for years, and yet you're still here! laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 22 2012, 02:33 PM)

Your interest in Rush has been waning for years, and yet you're still here! laugh.gif

There's a lot of comeraderie among Rush fans, many of whom I've met at RushCon.

There's one guy that posts at CP and goes to every RushCon but no longer likes Rush.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 22 2012, 09:30 AM)

Why?

Neil is the source of my disenchantment with Rush. The negativity, elitist sentiment, hypocrisy, contradictions, double standards, dragging the band down through a dark vein...just to name a couple!

Edited by GeminiRising79

a friend of mine who was a program director at Tucson station KLPS told me he once approached Geddy at a baseball game and introduced himself and Geddy's response was "you're in my space". He was so defeated after that sad.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 22 2012, 04:07 PM)
a friend of mine who was a program director at Tucson station KLPS told me he once approached Geddy at a baseball game and introduced himself and Geddy's response was "you're in my space". He was so defeated after that sad.gif

Damn!!! That's harsh!

But as we've been saying they're human just like us and have good days and bad days...and they also deserve their own space too.

Local radio interviewed Robin Zander of Cheap Trick a couple of years ago and he took a big shit on Rush too. Said they were assholes who wouldn;t give them a soundcheck and turned off their equipment before they finished playing.

QUOTE (skullchrist @ Aug 22 2012, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Aug 22 2012, 04:07 PM)

Damn!!! That's harsh!

But as we've been saying they're human just like us and have good days and bad days...and they also deserve their own space too.

He was trying to be a modern day warrior.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 21 2012, 01:03 PM)
Supposedly, they saw the band play live and laughed at them, supposedly because of the simplicity of the songs (or because the songs sucked).

This would make sense. Some reactions just can't be helped. We are talking about the Runaways and Kim Foul-ley after all.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 22 2012, 01:33 PM)

And going to the shows and buying the albums...I don't buy it. no.gif

QUOTE (skullchrist @ Aug 22 2012, 10:09 AM)

I've recently been getting into collecting extended 12" singles from 80's Pop and New Wave bands and I found her 'Better Be Good to Me' 12" single which is like seven minutes long! It's always cool to hear the extended mix and sometimes they'll have an unreleased track on the B-side as well.

I can understand what you mean about Neil but honestly I perceive his philosophical approach as cautionary rather than deliberate negativity. But then again I listen to some pretty extreme music so his lyrical content is relatively tame to me (as you can see I have a very diverse taste in music, lol). wacko.gif

Have you ever heard the long version of Soft cell's 'tainted love'?

It's kinda cool and they go into a version of 'where did our love go' by the Supremes. Check it out!

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 22 2012, 09:17 PM)
Local radio interviewed Robin Zander of Cheap Trick a couple of years ago and he took a big shit on Rush too. Said they were assholes who wouldn;t give them a soundcheck and turned off their equipment before they finished playing.

That's why they now have "An evening with Rush". No other bands want to open for those jerks! laugh.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Aug 23 2012, 05:31 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 22 2012, 09:17 PM)
Local radio interviewed Robin Zander of Cheap Trick a couple of years ago and he took a big shit on Rush too.  Said they were assholes who wouldn;t give them a soundcheck and turned off their equipment before they finished playing.

That's why they now have "An evening with Rush". No other bands want to open for those jerks! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Ah yes! It FINALLY makes sense!

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Aug 23 2012, 04:17 AM)
QUOTE (skullchrist @ Aug 22 2012, 10:09 AM)

Have you ever heard the long version of Soft cell's 'tainted love'?

It's kinda cool and they go into a version of 'where did our love go' by the Supremes. Check it out!

Is this the one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOFT-CELL-TAINTED-...f#ht_3487wt_699

If so I don't have that one yet. But I did just find an extended version of Pet Shop Boys 'West End Girls' and that's pretty cool as well!

Fowler admits in the interview that he never witnessed any events, he just heard stories about Rush treating the Runaways bad.

The story I've heard is that Rush would stand backstage while the Runaways played and laugh and throw balled up paper at them, causing Currie to slip and almost fall once.

Joan Jett said she got back at them by pissing on their guitars.

I don't believe any story that says they would not give their touring act a chance to sound check or turned off their equipment. This is what Aerosmith did to them, and Ged said in an interview that they would never treat someone this way as they knew what it felt like. He said supporting acts always had what they needed in their tour riders.

I think it was in Contents Under Pressure that Ged said that Aerosmith admitted that they had treated Rush bad and Steven Tyler said something to the affect that they would apologize to Rush if they ever ran into them, and Geddy thought that was a cool thing to do.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 23 2012, 09:27 AM)

Fowler admits in the interview that he never witnessed any events, he just heard stories about Rush treating the Runaways bad.

The story I've heard is that Rush would stand backstage while the Runaways played and laugh and throw balled up paper at them, causing Currie to slip and almost fall once.
Joan Jett said she got back at them by pissing on their guitars.

I don't believe any story that says they would not give their touring act a chance to sound check or turned off their equipment. This is what Aerosmith did to them, and Ged said in an interview that they would never treat someone this way as they knew what it felt like. He said supporting acts always had what they needed in their tour riders.

I think it was in Contents Under Pressure that Ged said that Aerosmith admitted that they had treated Rush bad and Steven Tyler said something to the affect that they would apologize to Rush if they ever ran into them, and Geddy thought that was a cool thing to do.

Yup, their tour manager said he ran into Tyler on a flight, and he apologized, stating that he recalls treating people poorly back then with their drugged out state.