How Should One Approach Spoilers?

pfrushfan0122

This is my first post on this forum, and I wanted to make it a meaningful one and just find some advice from die hard fans. Let me give you some back-story before I ask my final question. I recently jumped into the immense experience/catalog that is Rush; and by recent I mean within the past year or so. I'm in my late teens, and really am starting to find what types of music are the most appealing. I find that I like the hard/classic/prog rock. Anyway, I have delved into the back catalog of the band a little bit by listening to some of the seminal albums (Fly By Night, 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures). And I absolutely love the new album along with S&A. Now I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Philadelphia show on Oct. 12th. This will only be my second concert ever. I know they start the tour on Sept. 7th. Since I don't know much more then the mainstream seminal songs from Rush, should I look into the setlist after the opening night, and then research the songs from there? Or should I wait for all the surprises of the unknown? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and sorry if this isn't fully related to the subject of this thread. I'm new around here smile.gif

In a certain sense, Rush fans avoid spoilers for the same reason most people avoid spoilers for anything else: it ruins the suprise. If they pull out a rare, unexpected piece, it's all the better that you don't expect it.

If I was in your shoes, I would research the songs. I remember my first 2.gif show and not knowing some of the songs they played. I found myself kind of struggling to hear the song and figure out which one it was as it was playing so I wasn't able to take in the whole experience as I would have liked.

There are going to be some people who will tell you wait for the surprise, but we're talking about your fist time ever hearing the song, if it's at a show you'll probably be just sort of standing around like....d'uuuuh.

Not to mention the amazing feeling you get seeing your favorite songs being performed right in front of you. If you know them you can air drum, guitar and bass along with them.

But if you simply do not want to know what the set list is going to be, first, stay away from here 'cuz someone's gonna let the cat outta the bag somewhere, and second, starting now buy and memorize every 2.gif album you can so when your favorites come on you'll know them and if they pull out a surprise classic you can say....well in your case possibly never or "Wow!!!! I love this song....I haven't heard it in days...never thought they'd play this one"!!!

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

Since you're new to Rush I would look up the set ahead of time learn the songs they're playing that you aren't to familiar with. Rush does play deep cuts and songs that they haven't played ever or in many years. Each new tour always brings some surprises for the fans in the setlist. They will be playing a lot off the new album to.

It's best to get to know what they're playing so you can enjoy the concert more. There's nothing worse than being at a show and not having a clue what song the band is doing. Even someone like me who's been a dedicated fan for almost 20 years can still be surprised by some of the songs Rush decides to play. So as a new fan get to know as much of the set as possible, the concert will be that much better for you if you do that.

A little tip, Rush doesn't play that many songs from the 70s now since Geddy can't sing that high anymore. So don't expect too much from that decade. But a good portion of the material they recorded from 1980 all the way up to today is fair game to appear in their setlist.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Difficult question. There's having their catalog be "new" to you, and there's having their setlist be "new" (or "a surprise") to you. Ideally, I like to be very familiar with the artist's catalog and yet surprised by what they play from it. You've still got some time before the Rush show you're seeing, so my advice is to keep exploring the back catalog while avoiding the setlist spoilers. Come concert time, they'll probably play a few songs you still don't know... but that's not so bad.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 21 2012, 08:30 AM)
There's nothing worse than being at a show and not having a clue what song the band is doing.

I agree with this, and it's a reason I'm not a big concert-goer. I pretty much want to be familiar with an artist's entire catalog before going to their live show. Paying big bucks to sit around while they play a bunch of songs I don't know... that's not for me.

Then there's the case of the artist's "new" album. Two examples come to mind: I've seen Indigo Girls and I've seen Springsteen. I'm pretty familiar with both these artist's catalogs, yet at both shows the artist insisted on playing many (or ALL!) of the songs from their latest album, which I hadn't heard yet. Subsequently, that Indigo Girls concert was perhaps the worst concert experience I've ever had.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Since you're new to Rush I would look up the set ahead of time learn the songs they're playing that you aren't to familiar with. Rush does play deep cuts and songs that they haven't played ever or in many years. Each new tour always brings some surprises for the fans in the setlist. They will be playing a lot off the new album to.

It's best to get to know what they're playing so you can enjoy the concert more. There's nothing worse than being at a show and not having a clue what song the band is doing. Even someone like me who's been a dedicated fan for almost 20 years can still be surprised by some of the songs Rush decides to play. So as a new fan get to know as much of the set as possible, the concert will be that much better for you if you do that.

A little tip, Rush doesn't play that many songs from the 70s now since Geddy can't sing that high anymore. So don't expect too much from that decade. But a good portion of the material they recorded from 1980 all the way up to today is fair game to appear in their setlist.

Listen to this guy--a really good perspective!!! enjoy what will be magic. stay away from knowledge of what they will play. it'll make it that much better smile.gif

goodpost.gif

You can't get a pleasant surprise from a song you don't know well. I would create a set list of the songs on your ipod and listen before show. You will get more out of the show that way.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 21 2012, 11:20 AM)
You can't get a pleasant surprise from a song you don't know well. I would create a set list of the songs on your ipod and listen before show. You will get more out of the show that way.

I'm not sure I agree with this. At my first Rush show, I knew only ten of the songs and liked only five of those, and had the pleasant surprise of falling in love with a band whose range and variety I'd had no idea of.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 21 2012, 08:51 AM)
There's nothing worse than being at a show and not having a clue what song the band is doing.

I agree with this, and it's a reason I'm not a big concert-goer. I pretty much want to be familiar with an artist's entire catalog before going to their live show. Paying big bucks to sit around while they play a bunch of songs I don't know... that's not for me.

Then there's the case of the artist's "new" album. Two examples come to mind: I've seen Indigo Girls and I've seen Springsteen. I'm pretty familiar with both these artist's catalogs, yet at both shows the artist insisted on playing many (or ALL!) of the songs from their latest album, which I hadn't heard yet. Subsequently, that Indigo Girls concert was perhaps the worst concert experience I've ever had.

I made the mistake in my early concert going years of going to see a few bands that I didn't know that much from. In those cases I owned a few albums from the band and knew the popular songs but that was it. You feel like a moron just standing there doing nothing because you've never heard the song they're playing before in your life.

With the price of concert tickets now I only go see a band if i'm at least familiar with about three quarters of their material. If they play a song or two I don't know too well then it's not a big deal to me because I will know most of their stuff. Rush, Iron Maiden and a few others are the only bands where I would know every song they played without any trouble. I don't mind if a band plays a lot or all of their new album if it's quality material and stands up well against the older stuff. Most importantly, if the band does do that they need to give the fans time to digest the new marteial and get to know it before they go on tour. Rush is doing that with Clockwork Angels, hopefully people will react to the new stuff more since they've had three or four months to listen to it before the tour starts.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I'm just going to look at the setlist and research the band a little more. That is what I did with the time machine tour. I bought the Blu-Ray and after watching it all the way through , I started researching more of their less common albums (Hold Your Fire, Presto, Counterparts). I think it would be better to get an idea of what songs are playing so I don't feel so much like an outsider. I know most of the staples that they play during their concerts [subdivisions, YYZ, Freewill(if they choose to play it again), CTTH], but I have no idea what to expect in terms of them playing the obscure. I'm really hoping for 2112 album to be played in its entirety (wishful thinking, but I think it goes along well with the concept of CA), but I think at this point if they were to play an album in its entirety it would be Signals. 30th anniversary of it, not too much strain on Geddy's vocals (Never listened to more then subdivisions, but just assuming that). But who knows, my luck, I'll look at the setlist and know every single song and be disappointed.

QUOTE (pfrushfan0122 @ Aug 21 2012, 11:03 AM)
Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I'm just going to look at the setlist and research the band a little more. That is what I did with the time machine tour. I bought the Blu-Ray and after watching it all the way through , I started researching more of their less common albums (Hold Your Fire, Presto, Counterparts). I think it would be better to get an idea of what songs are playing so I don't feel so much like an outsider. I know most of the staples that they play during their concerts [subdivisions, YYZ, Freewill(if they choose to play it again), CTTH], but I have no idea what to expect in terms of them playing the obscure. I'm really hoping for 2112 album to be played in its entirety (wishful thinking, but I think it goes along well with the concept of CA), but I think at this point if they were to play an album in its entirety it would be Signals. 30th anniversary of it, not too much strain on Geddy's vocals (Never listened to more then subdivisions, but just assuming that). But who knows, my luck, I'll look at the setlist and know every single song and be disappointed.

I don't know if you have an iPOD but another poster brought up about making a playlist of Rush's set on it once we know what they're playing. I do this as well with bands that i'm going to see live who don't change their sets like Rush. It will really help you to know the set if you are able to do that. As for what obscure tunes Rush will play? Even the most diehard fan doesn't know what those will be from tour to tour. So you're certainly not alone there.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 21 2012, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (pfrushfan0122 @ Aug 21 2012, 11:03 AM)

I don't know if you have an iPOD but another poster brought up about making a playlist of Rush's set on it once we know what they're playing. I do this as well with bands that i'm going to see live who don't change their sets like Rush. It will really help you to know the set if you are able to do that. As for what obscure tunes Rush will play? Even the most diehard fan doesn't know what those will be from tour to tour. So you're certainly not alone there.

Yeah I have my iphone, so I'll load that up with the tracks once I find out what the setlist is. Any suggestions on a source that would just release the setlist and not anything else that had to do with the stage or show and/or combination washing/vending/sausage making machines that sit behind Geddy? I would definitely like to keep the atmosphere and visuals all a surprise. I know that my first concert, Roger Waters The Wall, I had only gotten a chance to see the 2012 leg, and thinking I wasn't going to be able to see it,so I watched the whole performance on you tube of one of the 2011 shows. Not such a smart idea. oops.gif

Edited by pfrushfan0122

Approach spoilers from behind. It's pretty dangerous to approach them head on, the car might be moving.

yes.gif

Anyway, get Clockwork Angels learn it inside and out, then come here opening night. I'm sure someone will be posting the setlist. Its fun watching the songs come in, and you can listen to them in order, then make a playlist and learn that as well! You'll be good to go when your night arrives!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 21 2012, 10:03 PM)
Approach spoilers from behind. It's pretty dangerous to approach them head on, the car might be moving.

yes.gif

Anyway, get Clockwork Angels learn it inside and out, then come here opening night. I'm sure someone will be posting the setlist. Its fun watching the songs come in, and you can listen to them in order, then make a playlist and learn that as well! You'll be good to go when your night arrives!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Wise Advice!!! I learned the hard way once with spoilers, and I've been cautious ever since. That's why I wanted to get others' opinions first.

I absolutely LOVE CA!!! I would say that I've listened to it around 100 -150 times since I got it back in June. About 25 times in the first week!! I know that one front to back. I would be happy just to go see that performed live, and all of the other jems are bonuses!

QUOTE (pfrushfan0122 @ Aug 21 2012, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 21 2012, 10:03 PM)

yes.gif

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Wise Advice!!! I learned the hard way once with spoilers, and I've been cautious ever since. That's why I wanted to get others' opinions first.

I absolutely LOVE CA!!! I would say that I've listened to it around 100 -150 times since I got it back in June. About 25 times in the first week!! I know that one front to back. I would be happy just to go see that performed live, and all of the other jems are bonuses!

Well if you already know all of CA and the staples you're in for a great show dude!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Now here is another question. I didn't want to start another subject and embarrass myself even more. How long is an average rush show (including intermission)? I know from the TMT Blu-Ray, that was about 2 1/2 hours (Not including intermission), but I was wondering if this is shorter or if its normal? Edited by pfrushfan0122

QUOTE (pfrushfan0122 @ Aug 21 2012, 10:35 PM)
Now here is another question. I didn't want to start another subject and embarrass myself even more. How long is an average rush show (including intermission)? I know from the TMT Blu-Ray, that was about 2 1/2 hours (Not including intermission), but I was wondering if this is shorter or if its normal?

Figure about 3 hours from the time they hit the stage. When it's all said and done the show is really around 2 hours 45 minutes including a 15 minute break....They play for an hour and 15, take a 15 minute break and play for another hour and 15...give or take a few minutes.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 22 2012, 05:55 AM)
Now here is another question. I didn't want to start another subject and embarrass myself even more. How long is an average rush show (including intermission)? I know from the TMT Blu-Ray, that was about 2 1/2 hours (Not including intermission), but I was wondering if this is shorter or if its normal?

Figure about 3 hours from the time they hit the stage. When it's all said and done the show is really around 2 hours 45 minutes including a 15 minute break....They play for an hour and 15, take a 15 minute break and play for another hour and 15...give or take a few minutes.

The last couple tours the first set has been about an hour and the second one is around 90 mins.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 22 2012, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 22 2012, 05:55 AM)

The last couple tours the first set has been about an hour and the second one is around 90 mins.

Yeah...This is about right.

To try and prepare myself for the setlist, I found a couple of the retrospective compilations (II and III) so I could get used to the later albums from the late 1980's on. Hopefully this will help a little so the setlist isn't completely foreign. Do you guys think this would be my best bet?

QUOTE (pfrushfan0122 @ Aug 22 2012, 07:59 PM)
To try and prepare myself for the setlist, I found a couple of the retrospective compilations (II and III) so I could get used to the later albums from the late 1980's on. Hopefully this will help a little so the setlist isn't completely foreign. Do you guys think this would be my best bet?

Your best bet is to just wait a few weeks until the tour starts and then get to know the songs you're not familiar with after you see the set. The Retrospectives are good compilations but Rush has become very unpredictable as to what they'll play. There's a hadnful of hits that are garunteed to be played (Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Subdivisions, The Spirit Of Radio) a few other that more than likely will appear (Red Barchetta, YYZ, Overture/Temples Of Syrinx and Freewill) but as far as deep cuts go, nobody really can predict what they've got in mind.

As I've become older, the whole element of surprise or worrying about reading "spoiler" content is careless and juvenile. I do respect, however, one wanting to be surprised.

Having seen Rush live numerous times, I know what to expect and am hardly ever surprised with the songs they choose each tour (sorry, but haven't been blown away by a set list since the T4E tour). Even though they throw out a few, unsuspecting gems, I would rather know before hand what to expect. For one, I'll forget the "spoiler" set list, also there is so much external distraction that comes along with seeing a live concert.

So after seeing the setlist, I don't really know how to take it all in.... I really am not familiar with any of the 80's rush content, so I still don't know what to expect. I'm really disappointed that Limelight and 2112 (Oveture/syrinx) didn't make it in, but hopefully I'll see them during R40 where they play it (If that happens...). Its a completely different obscure setlist then what I was expecting.... Then again, I really didn't know what TO expect..