Songs that were stolen from Rush

physics23

Ever notice how the intro to Guns n' Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine" sounds strangely like the intro to Rush's "Xanadu"?

And that the riff in Coldplay's "Clocks" is oddly reminiscent of the synthesizer riff in "Countdown"?

I wonder if there are more.

QUOTE (Manko @ Jun 16 2005, 01:49 PM)
The guitar in Natural Science and the guitar in Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins. Not sure which came first though.

Natural Science 1979

Echo Beach 1980

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jun 16 2005, 07:54 AM)
QUOTE (Manko @ Jun 16 2005, 01:49 PM)
The guitar in Natural Science and the guitar in Echo Beach by Martha and the Muffins. Not sure which came first though.

Natural Science 1979

Echo Beach 1980

CURSES! ph34r.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 16 2005, 03:36 PM)
When i'd play Xanadu in school, people always used to ask me why i was playing Sweet child o' mine even though i hated guns n roses.

Silly people need to be introduced to some rush stuff.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 16 2005, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Jun 16 2005, 03:36 PM)
When i'd play Xanadu in school, people always used to ask me why i was playing Sweet child o' mine even though i hated guns n roses.

Silly people need to be introduced to some rush stuff.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

yes.gif goodpost.gif

has anybody else noticed that when you play xanadu on guitar along with the song, it sounds out of key? i noticed that and checked, the guitar was in tune (i think), and it still sounded weird...can somebody else try it and see what it sounds like?

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Jun 16 2005, 11:44 PM)
has anybody else noticed that when you play xanadu on guitar along with the song, it sounds out of key? i noticed that and checked, the guitar was in tune (i think), and it still sounded weird...can somebody else try it and see what it sounds like?

Yes! I think they're tuned slightly sharp for some reason on the studio recording. Or maybe the recording got slightly sped up somehow.

Speaking of Xanadu... I've always thought the 7/8 descending chord part sounds reminiscent of the instrumental section (2nd half) of Cinema Show by Genesis (which came out long before Farewell to Kings).

And the chords at the beginning of BB&B reminds me of the chord progression in Heartbreaker (I think that's the song; can't remember for sure at the moment) by Zeppelin.

While I'm on my Genesis soapbox, I also want to put in a plug for their song Supper's Ready. It's a 20 minute prog masterpiece, except for a stupid segment in the middle which they could've left out (parts of Willow Farm to those in-the-know).

But what does this have to do with Rush? I think the ending of The Necromancer sounds like a less-effective version of the ending in Supper's Ready. They both have a slow, triumphant kind of sound, but the end of Supper's Ready might very well hold the title for "best ending" of any song I've ever heard. It gives me goosebumps and chills like nothing else can. Has anyone else noticed this similarity in endings? (that is, if anyone in here besides me has even heard Supper's Ready tongue.gif )

Theres a couple I can think of that sound very similar to being a RUSH riff or rip off! The problem for me I can't remember the exact song just the group. A METALLICA song in the beginning sounds alot like end "Of the Battle" and the start of" Epilogue" segment of live Bytor from ATWAS. Another one by AUDIOSLAVE sounds like they were listening to VT. Theres some guitar work that sounds similar to One Little Victory. JUST CAN'T THINK OF THE DAMN SONGS!!!

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 17 2005, 11:50 AM)
Theres a couple I can think of that  sound very similar to being a RUSH riff or rip off! The problem for me I can't remember the exact song just the group.    A  METALLICA song in the beginning sounds alot like end "Of the Battle" and the start of" Epilogue" segment of live Bytor from  ATWAS.  Another one by AUDIOSLAVE sounds like they were listening to VT. Theres some guitar work that sounds  similar to One Little Victory.  JUST CAN'T THINK OF THE DAMN SONGS!!!

I've done this several times. I'll be listening to whatever, and something will strike me as sounding an awful lot like a certain Rush song... but I can never remember what it was I was listening to. I'll have to write it down next time so's I can remember.

Yes Dakota2112 - I have heard Supper's Ready.

I went to a Genesis concert in 1977 on the basis of a review in Sounds magazine which reported that they had the best light show of any group in the world.

I had never heard any Genesis songs (to my knowledge) before that and thought "what the hell - if it's a crap concert, I can always leave".

I was converted after that. For my birthday later that year, my wife bought me the double live album "Seconds Out".

Before all you RUSH fans complain about praising Genesis on a RUSH site, the above album contains some Xanadu / Jacob's Ladder type songs (prog rock, I suppose) and is worth a listen but the real treat is for Neil Peart / drumming fans (like myself) is hearing two drummers (Chester Thompson / Phil Collins) play on "Dance on a Volcano / Los Endos". It was awesome in concert.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jun 16 2005, 07:21 AM)
Ever notice how the intro to Guns n' Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine" sounds strangely like the intro to Rush's "Xanadu"?
And that the riff in Coldplay's "Clocks" is oddly reminiscent of the synthesizer riff in "Countdown"?
I wonder if there are more.

The drumming in the chorus part of spider webs by No doubt is pretty similar to the second passage in Natural science. close to the same tempo as well hmmm.... It hit me the first time i heard it and reminds me still to this day. can ya hear it?

Here's a big one that I can't BELIEVE hasn't been mentioned yet:

About 4 minutes or so into "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" off Metallica's Master of Puppets album the guitar riff is LITERALLY identical to the main riff of Tom Sawyer.

QUOTE (Margana @ Jun 17 2005, 12:53 PM)
I went to a Genesis concert in 1977 on the basis of a review in Sounds magazine which reported that they had the best light show of any group in the world.
I had never heard any Genesis songs (to my knowledge) before that and thought "what the hell - if it's a crap concert, I can always leave".
I was converted after that. For my birthday later that year, my wife bought me the double live album "Seconds Out".
Before all you RUSH fans complain about praising Genesis on a RUSH site, the above album contains some Xanadu / Jacob's Ladder type songs (prog rock, I suppose) and is worth a listen but the real treat is for Neil Peart / drumming fans (like myself) is hearing two drummers (Chester Thompson / Phil Collins) play on "Dance on a Volcano / Los Endos". It was awesome in concert.

Excellent, a fellow Genesis fan trink39.gif biggrin.gif

I can't remember the exact timeline... was Peter Gabriel still with the band in 1977 when you saw them? I'm thinking Phil had taken over vocals by that point. Either way, you should consider yourself lucky to have seen Genesis in their prime years! I envy you. fists crying.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jun 17 2005, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (Margana @ Jun 17 2005, 12:53 PM)

Excellent, a fellow Genesis fan trink39.gif biggrin.gif

I can't remember the exact timeline... was Peter Gabriel still with the band in 1977 when you saw them? I'm thinking Phil had taken over vocals by that point. Either way, you should consider yourself lucky to have seen Genesis in their prime years! I envy you. fists crying.gif

Yes, Peter Gabriel had just left and the tour was to promote the Wind and Wuthering album.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jun 17 2005, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 17 2005, 11:50 AM)
Theres a couple I can think of that  sound very similar to being a RUSH riff or rip off! The problem for me I can't remember the exact song just the group.    A  METALLICA song in the beginning sounds alot like end "Of the Battle" and the start of" Epilogue" segment of live Bytor from  ATWAS.  Another one by AUDIOSLAVE sounds like they were listening to VT. Theres some guitar work that sounds  similar to One Little Victory.  JUST CAN'T THINK OF THE DAMN SONGS!!!

I've done this several times. I'll be listening to whatever, and something will strike me as sounding an awful lot like a certain Rush song... but I can never remember what it was I was listening to. I'll have to write it down next time so's I can remember.

I don't know if this is right but the METALLICA song that sounds similar at the beginning like the middle of live Bytor from ATWAS is Astronomy? For some reason that title comes to mind. Not a METALLICA fan so not sure but I am sure heard this on radio several times and does sound like 2.gif SICK OF HEARING METALLICA ON RADIO!!!

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jun 17 2005, 09:11 AM)
Has anyone else noticed this similarity in endings? (that is, if anyone in here besides me has even heard Supper's Ready tongue.gif )

Had and have. Love old Genesis.

Funny, my two favorite bands are Marillion and Rush, and one could draw a parallel that Marillion is to Genesis as Rush is to Led Zeppelin. Started out as a cover band, quickly diverged, but always had that 'copycat' stigma with certain music press types.

Curiouser and curiouser...

One that may seem a bit obscure to a few of you as i don't know how popular Ritchie Blackmores band after he left Deep Purple, Rainbow are over the water.

But on their live albu, "On Stage" the opening number Kill the King has the same intro as Bastille Day.

Olivia newton John stole Xanadu from Rush. She changed the words and music a little bit but yea, its the same song.

QUOTE (Indica @ Jun 18 2005, 08:00 AM)
Olivia newton John stole Xanadu from Rush. She changed the words and music a little bit but yea, its the same song.

ohmy.gif GOOD GRIEF!! As long as you don't say they ripped off RUSH for the horrible movie this soundtrack title came from I'll be able to sleep at night!!! laugh.gif (FYI) The movie is actually a updated rip-off of the old Rita Hayworth film "Down to Earth"