Opeth - Heritage

jwoods89

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 30 2012, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 29 2012, 09:10 PM)
It is great music lacking the ambient shit he did with Wilson on Storm Corrosion.

wink.gif

So you didn't like SC?

unsure.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Jul 30 2012, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 30 2012, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Jul 30 2012, 09:11 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 30 2012, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 30 2012, 07:38 AM)
damn buncha eddie trunks in here, hating on heaviness

Get over yourself. Some people have different tastes than you.

Oh go listen to Storm Corrosion, why don't you?

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

I bought this on 7Digital...HATED every painful second of it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get my money back from iTunes.

laugh.gif

I think I'm one of about five people who actually liked Storm Corrosion. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 30 2012, 01:37 PM)

laugh.gif

I think I'm one of about five people who actually liked Storm Corrosion. laugh.gif

One of six now.

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Jul 30 2012, 06:09 AM)
QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 30 2012, 01:44 AM)
I have also heard the growling will not be back. Thoughts?

Who did you hear that from? I saw a video of Mikael from right after Heritage was made. He explained why Heritage was done the way it was done. He also said the growls would be back. In fact, the songs he had been writing for the album that would become Heritage had been heavy songs with growls.

When I saw them last year, their part of the show was all clean vocals. But when Bloodbath came out for the encore, he did nothing but death growls, and it was freaking awesome.

Has he since come out and said he is done with growling?

I thought I had saw on the Heritage deluxe edition DVD something about there being no more growls or I might have read that on an Opeth forum.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 30 2012, 06:53 AM)
For me it's not a matter of growls/no growls or heaviness/no heaviness: it's just that the songwriting is weak.
It lacks Opeth's signature originality, their dramatic approach... It seems that it's just concentrated on being a perfect homage to 70s prog, down to the sound and the production. Songs that go one half in one way and the other half in another way... would that the result was moving, or interesting... but it's just sterile excercise to my ears. It doesn't say anything other that: "wish I was in the early 70s in tour with Museo Rosenbach".
Huge disappointment. Damnation is millions of miles better.

I'd have to disagree. I think Heritage is better mainly because of the progression they have made from Ghost Reveries to this album. Think back to Ghost Reveries, strange album IMO, although I love it and it is probably one of my favorite albums they have made, but the progression from it to Watershed to Heritage is pretty amazing if you ask me. I don't know how many people were really 'shocked' with Damnation as they had been incorporating clean passages into their music since their first album, but Heritage is much more than just an album with clean passages and no growling, it's waaay more progressive and interesting IMO and even though it's an homage or sorts it still sounds extremely fresh.

I think it's very good

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jul 30 2012, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jul 30 2012, 01:37 PM)

laugh.gif

One of six now.

I like Storm Corrosion too...

trink38.gif

I have this album and I like it very much. It is the only Opeth album that I have so I have nothing to compare to, I heard so many good things about it I walked on down to the record store and bought it. This was how that went:

True Story -

Young boy clerk: Hello ma'am, can I help you?

Me: Please don't ma'am me, I need the new Opeth album.

Young boy clerk: Really? Are you sure?

Me: Yes, I'm sure. I need the new Opeth album.

Young boy clerk: Really? Is it a gift?

Me: No, it's for me, I hear it's more prog than metal, and it's getting good reviews, I want to check it out.

Young boy clerk: You like prog?

Me: Yes, I like prog, hard rock, classic rock, metal....

Young boy clerk: Oh, I see, like Poison?

At this point I purchased the disk and left the store quickly before I schooled him. But it's a really good album, so it was worth the mind numbing conversation with the clerk. Poor kid, he was only trying to do his job.

QUOTE (MCM @ Jul 30 2012, 07:16 PM)
I have this album and I like it very much. It is the only Opeth album that I have so I have nothing to compare to, I heard so many good things about it I walked on down to the record store and bought it. This was how that went:

True Story -

Me: No, it's for me, I hear it's more prog than metal, and it's getting good reviews, I want to check it out.

At this point I purchased the disk and left the store quickly before I schooled him. But it's a really good album, so it was worth the mind numbing conversation with the clerk. Poor kid, he was only trying to do his job.

Ugh. Some people can be so annoying.

QUOTE (The K Man @ Jul 31 2012, 12:32 AM)
Heritage is a good, solid album; not great, but good. And I don't feel like the lack of heaviness or growls hurt it (I think Damnation is great, and that has zero growls).

This.

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 30 2012, 08:01 PM)
For me it's not a matter of growls/no growls or heaviness/no heaviness: it's just that the songwriting is weak.
It lacks Opeth's signature originality, their dramatic approach... It seems that it's just concentrated on being a perfect homage to 70s prog, down to the sound and the production. Songs that go one half in one way and the other half in another way... would that the result was moving, or interesting... but it's just sterile excercise to my ears. It doesn't say anything other that: "wish I was in the early 70s in tour with Museo Rosenbach".

I'd have to disagree. I think Heritage is better mainly because of the progression they have made from Ghost Reveries to this album. Think back to Ghost Reveries, strange album IMO, although I love it and it is probably one of my favorite albums they have made, but the progression from it to Watershed to Heritage is pretty amazing if you ask me. I don't know how many people were really 'shocked' with Damnation as they had been incorporating clean passages into their music since their first album, but Heritage is much more than just an album with clean passages and no growling, it's waaay more progressive and interesting IMO and even though it's an homage or sorts it still sounds extremely fresh.

Then we'll agree to disagree, and I see nothing wrong with that. trink39.gif

In terms of progression, the greatest leap IMHO was made between Still Life and Blackwater Park, that's when Opeth really became able to say what they wanted to say.

Ghost Reveries is, IMHO, all about widening their sound with the keyboards, it's a good album at that. Watershed sounds more "business as usual" to my ears. They don't surprise you anymore. You can tell where the songs are going, and that's killer for a band like Opeth.

As for Heritage, alas, it's still disappointment for me. Wanted to love it, didn't. Not enough bones around that meat. And I don't mean heaviness/growling. I mean songwriting.

QUOTE (MCM @ Jul 30 2012, 10:16 PM)

True Story -

Get Watershed. It is a mix between clean vocals and growls, with several songs having no growls at all.

And if you get it from iTunes, get the expanded addition with three extra songs. They cover Bridge of Sighs and do it exceptionally well.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 31 2012, 03:59 AM)
QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 30 2012, 08:01 PM)

Then we'll agree to disagree, and I see nothing wrong with that. trink39.gif

In terms of progression, the greatest leap IMHO was made between Still Life and Blackwater Park, that's when Opeth really became able to say what they wanted to say.

Ghost Reveries is, IMHO, all about widening their sound with the keyboards, it's a good album at that. Watershed sounds more "business as usual" to my ears. They don't surprise you anymore. You can tell where the songs are going, and that's killer for a band like Opeth.

As for Heritage, alas, it's still disappointment for me. Wanted to love it, didn't. Not enough bones around that meat. And I don't mean heaviness/growling. I mean songwriting.

Interesting.

I got into Opeth a little over a year ago, and Watershed was the first album of theirs I listened to. I didn't have the knowledge of their other albums to compare it to, so it all sounded fresh to me. I can certainly see where someone who had Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries to listen to for years would think Watershed just felt like "more of the same." So I guess I'm lucky in that respect.

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 31 2012, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 30 2012, 09:05 AM)

sorry eddie

laugh.gif

His butt does tend to hurt a little when people talk about Opeth being a great Death Metal band.

QUOTE (Sheldon Cooper @ Jul 31 2012, 02:20 PM)
QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 31 2012, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 30 2012, 09:05 AM)

sorry eddie

laugh.gif

His butt does tend to hurt a little when people talk about Opeth being a great Death Metal band.

Trunk or Gompers ? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jul 31 2012, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (jc4gd @ Jul 31 2012, 10:45 PM)
Opeth is still good, but there best stuff was with drummer Martin Lopez..........

no.gif I thought Watershed was amazing!

I like Watershed quite a bit, but it's lacking something for me, maybe it's the production, it's kind of muddy, though I like everything Opeth have ever done... lol.

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Jul 31 2012, 10:52 PM)
Opeth is still good, but there best stuff was with drummer Martin Lopez..........

I like Watershed quite a bit, but it's lacking something for me, maybe it's the production, it's kind of muddy, though I like everything Opeth have ever done... lol.

Yeah, I pretty much like all their stuff too, but something about Watershed that I keep going back to it. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jul 31 2012, 08:55 PM)

Yeah, I pretty much like all their stuff too, but something about Watershed that I keep going back to it. trink39.gif

It' good..........but Axenrot doesn't have the range and versatility of Lopez era.........

QUOTE (jc4gd @ Jul 31 2012, 11:05 PM)

It' good..........but Axenrot doesn't have the range and versatility of Lopez era.........

Maybe not, but he does a good job filling his shoes.

QUOTE (jc4gd @ Jul 31 2012, 09:05 PM)

I disagree, although I think Lopez' drumming is amazing, I'd ask you to listen to Heritage and check out Axe's work again, he has quite a bit of versatility.