Thank GOD I was wrong!

rushgoober

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 26 2012, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jul 26 2012, 01:10 PM)
Rushgoober, once again let me just say how relieved and happy I am they you live this album so much!

trink39.gif  common001.gif  cheer.gif  icon_alienjig.gif

Careful, Tony R will smack you down for congratulating a forum member like this. eyesre4.gif

Yeah, how dare you feel good that someone shares your enthusiasm and excitement. We're not human, you know......we're just stupid. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jul 26 2012, 07:10 PM)
Rushgoober, once again let me just say how relieved and happy I am they you live this album so much!

trink39.gif common001.gif cheer.gif icon_alienjig.gif

Relieved?

Get a f***ing grip!

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 26 2012, 11:40 AM)
Rushgoober, where does CA rank among the albums for you at this point?

For me it's not quite in the top ten, as that would mean beating all the Terry Brown albums plus GUP and PoW. But it's VERY close for me, which is pretty remarkable. 653.gif

It's still too early for me to answer that definitively. There are albums I know are better, and albums I know are not as good, but there are a few in the middle that I'm not quite sure yet how CA stacks up against.

It's probably between 8th and 10th, and more likely 9th or 10th, but I'm not sure yet. Even still, that is remarkable considering how many amazing albums Rush has made.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 26 2012, 10:17 AM)
Ya gotta love a guy that quotes himself  laugh.gif

I know, I know. Sometimes I'm way too enamored of my own opinions and thoughts. tongue.gif

"The Mirror never lies!"

wink.gif

Ok maybe this is stupid but OMG it just occured to me what Neil was emulating with his first series of shots on the bell of the ride during the begining of Caravan. It's a trolly going by, or in CA's case A Steamliner. Damn this man is brilliant.

More Rainbows! MOrE RaInbOWs!

wub.gif

trink39.gif common001.gif cheer.gif icon_alienjig.gif

why is it so important for one to like it? i guess it'll make it a better listening experience for some knowing that others love it. unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2012, 12:04 PM)
Awhile back I started a somewhat infamous thread that I was dreading the release of CA.  At the time I said:

I know "dread" is a strong word to use, but I'm just not looking forward to what I fear will be yet another late career, sub-standard release. Some will say I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I feel if anything I'm trying to prevent myself from being disappointed by keeping my expectations, based on my experience with the album so far, in check. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than have unrealistic expectations crushed.

At the time I really didn't care for Caravan & BU2B, and while I liked Headlong Flight, I wasn't loving it either. Somehow, magically, Headlong Flight really grew on me, and the first two tracks suddenly were brilliant when put into context. I truly didn't think context could save those songs, but they did.

Other than that, this is just an incredibly strong album. I listen to it in amazement each time, waiting for the other shoe to drop and for me to suddenly see it as mediocre, but it simply doesn't happen! If anything, it just keeps giving and giving and getting better and better with one great song after another!

There was a thread shortly before CA was released where people got to predict what numerical ranking the album would get. I gave it a 5, and then after I thought about it, thought 4 was more realistic. Now that it's out, I give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. No, 8.5 is not a 10, but for them to make an album THAT good at this stage in their career I consider a miracle!

I was hoping against hope for 2 or 3 great songs, and I was skeptical I'd get that. In reality, there are at least 8 or 9! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

I said in a recent thread:

I was the first person to say that I really hoped I was wrong about the upcoming album, that I would love it, that I never wanted to not like or love a Rush album. I just didn't think it was possible.

I also maintained when people tried to pigeonhole me as being too prejudiced against new Rush to like it, or to admit to liking it if I did, that I would give it more than a fair shot and listen objectively. I did. I'm not going to deny myself great Rush if I hear it because of being unwilling to let go of preconceived notions or maintaining some kind of image. F*ck that! 1287.gif

Sometimes it's awesome to be wrong. Clockwork Angels rocks! yes.gif 1287.gif 2.gif 1022.gif biggrin.gif

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana30.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana30.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana30.gif http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober2/banana3.gif

Its always nice when our worst fears don't come true, isn't it, and you realize the joy that of being relieved of all of that worry for naught.

cheer.gif Clockwork Angels has exceeded my expectations on every level. If I could only listen with "clean" ears (without 30+ years of heart.gif )

Oh, I wish that I could live it all again.

trink39.gif and goodpost.gif goober smile.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 26 2012, 02:55 PM)

why is it so important for one to like it? i guess it'll make it a better listening experience for some knowing that others love it. unsure.gif

Maybe folks know his history of hating VT so much. confused13.gif

Why does it bother you and Tony R so much to see people sharing their enthusiasm for CA? unsure.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 26 2012, 08:50 PM)
Ok maybe this is stupid but OMG it just occured to me what Neil was emulating with his first series of shots on the bell of the ride during the begining of Caravan. It's a trolly going by, or in CA's case A Steamliner. Damn this man is brilliant.

More Rainbows! MOrE RaInbOWs!

wub.gif

Yeah, the start of the journey... confused13.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 26 2012, 02:55 PM)

Energy is contagious

Enthusiasm spreads

Tides respond to lunar gravitation

Everything turns in synchronous relation

Laughter is infectious

Excitement goes to my head

Winds are stirred by planets in rotation

Sparks ignite and spread new information

Respond, vibrate, feed back, resonate

Sun dogs fire on the horizon

Meteor rain stars across the night

This moment may be brief

But it can be so bright

Hope is epidemic

Optimism spreads

Bitterness breeds irritation

Ignorance breeds imitation

Sun dogs fire on the horizon

Meteor rain stars across the night

This moment may be brief

But it can be so bright

Reflected in another source of light

When the moment dies

The spark still flies

Reflected in another pair of eyes

Dreams are sometimes catching

Desire goes to my head

Love responds to your invitation

Love responds to imagination

Respond, vibrate, feed back, resonate

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 26 2012, 12:55 PM)

what about just the pure pleasure of sharing something you love with someone else? confused13.gif