What Went Wrong?

HigherWater

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 25 2012, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 25 2012, 12:18 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 25 2012, 01:13 AM)
QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 25 2012, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 25 2012, 01:08 AM)
QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 25 2012, 12:08 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 24 2012, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jul 24 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 24 2012, 10:36 PM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jul 24 2012, 07:58 PM)
Good God! I've been away from the forum for about a week and it seems like in that time the haters have completely taken over! Why is Rush not aloud to write a song with a verse/chorus/bridge alignment (The Wreckers) or a song with a nice bouncy melody (Wish Them Well)?

CA is a good if not great balanced record that the guys can be very proud of.

I cannot believe that a Forum member would say, "I'd be embarrassed for Rush if they played that song on the radio." What a worthless, obnoxious thing to say. I'm sorry but seriously, as much as I hate Superconductor I would never say I was embarrassed for Rush. What embarrasses me are Rush fans that act like turds every time the guys try to give us something new.

Like the new album, hate the new album-- Whatever. But don't for a second feel embarrassed for Rush-- They are a lot better than you!

It's sub-par album, and to me The Wreckers is one of the worst tracks....doesn't sound like Rush or represent any aspect of Rush that I like..

I wonder: what is "Par"? Does Rush have Birdie and Eagle albums? Is Test for Echo a double bogey?

Subpar - Not measuring up to traditional standards of performance, value, or production, which is basically anything after Presto...

Things did take an ominous turn with Presto.

did they ever...

We were then treated to RTB, CP, and T4E. 062802puke_prv.gif

CP is overrated, it's not even in my top 10.

CP is terrible.....one of their bottom 5 or 6 to me....

CP is at #12 for me, so I don't rate it quite as badly. I do rate it higher than anything that came after it.

Their best album (material wise) since Presto is still VT, IMO.....then probably CA....

Despite the inexcusable production flaws, I do like VT. It has several good songs.

As for CA, I really like about half the songs, the others are just average.

Definitely not one of their top 10 albums, and certainly no masterpiece!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 25 2012, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 25 2012, 01:19 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 25 2012, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 25 2012, 01:12 AM)
Good God! I've been away from the forum for about a week and it seems like in that time the haters have completely taken over! Why is Rush not aloud to write a song with a verse/chorus/bridge alignment (The Wreckers) or a song with a nice bouncy melody (Wish Them Well)?

I cannot believe that a Forum member would say, "I'd be embarrassed for Rush if they played that song on the radio." What a worthless, obnoxious thing to say. I'm sorry but seriously, as much as I hate Superconductor I would never say I was embarrassed for Rush. What embarrasses me are Rush fans that act like turds every time the guys try to give us something new.

Like the new album, hate the new album-- Whatever. But don't for a second feel embarrassed for Rush-- They are a lot better than you!

It's sub-par album, and to me The Wreckers is one of the worst tracks....doesn't sound like Rush or represent any aspect of Rush that I like..

I wonder: what is "Par"? Does Rush have Birdie and Eagle albums? Is Test for Echo a double bogey?

Subpar - Not measuring up to traditional standards of performance, value, or production, which is basically anything after Presto...

did they ever...

Well I think over 80% have CA in their top ten according to a poll on this very forum. Amazing.

Edit: make that 83%.

The album just came out......let's see the results in a year..

Will probably be higher. A lot of times it takes a while for Rush records to grow. Very rarely does a Rush record get worse over time with me. I didn't like SnA very much at first listen and it's still not great but now it is more tolerable to me. I like about half.

I doubt it.....S&A started out with a pretty decent following, and now it seems that most can't stand it. Let's see though.....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 25 2012, 01:25 AM)

did they ever...

Well I think over 80% have CA in their top ten according to a poll on this very forum. Amazing.

Will probably be higher. A lot of times it takes a while for Rush records to grow. Very rarely does a Rush record get worse over time with me. I didn't like SnA very much at first listen and it's still not great but now it is more tolerable to me. I like about half.

I doubt it.....S&A started out with a pretty decent following, and now it seems that most can't stand it. Let's see though.....

Last time I checked the vast majority still love S&A. Only a handful of "Besserwissers" that dont like it.

I like it better now than 5 years after its release.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Jul 25 2012, 12:35 AM)

did they ever...

Last time I checked the vast majority still love S&A. Only a handful of "Besserwissers" that dont like it.

vast majority? where are you seeing that?

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jul 24 2012, 06:58 PM)

I can sympathize. I felt this way awhile back, that the haters were taking over the board, that the album was getting nothing but negativity, but then I started this poll:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75734

That gave conclusive verifiable proof that the haters are a VERY small, but just very vocal minority, and it comforted me greatly. Just remember, out of 230 people who voted:

78% rate the album from 8-10

90% rate it from 7-10

93% rate it from 6-10

Only 7% rate it from 0-5. Let them stew in their misery while you and I and almost everyone else here enjoys the best Rush album in a very long time. This album is phenomenal and it keeps giving and giving each time throughout almost all of its 66 minutes. It's really their loss.

trink39.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 25 2012, 01:08 AM)

>Implying that HYF wasn't almost complete shit. Second Nature and High Water are on the lowest end of Rush songs. The lyrics of Prime Mover are so pseudo-intellectual and overcompensating that they are cliches and parodies of Peart's pathos. Tai Shan almost makes me ashamed to be a Rush fan.

If anything, Presto was a consistent save from the terrible synth-laden mess that Rush was becoming.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jul 25 2012, 01:51 AM)

>Implying that HYF wasn't almost complete shit. Second Nature and High Water are on the lowest end of Rush songs. The lyrics of Prime Mover are so pseudo-intellectual and overcompensating that they are cliches and parodies of Peart's pathos. Tai Shan almost makes me ashamed to be a Rush fan.

If anything, Presto was a consistent save from the terrible synth-laden mess that Rush was becoming.

Presto is a great record. Love the synth records but I agree that HYF took it too far. HYF is still towards the bottom of my Rush album rankings.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 25 2012, 01:55 AM)

Presto is a great record. Love the synth records but I agree that HYF took it too far. HYF is still towards the bottom of my Rush album rankings.

We have similar tastes, then. My biggest complaint is how thin and wimpy the guitar sounds most of the time. It just leaves me disappointed. The synths leave and Lifeson is still content with not taking the foreground and occupying the space that they left

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jul 25 2012, 01:58 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jul 25 2012, 01:55 AM)

We have similar tastes, then. My biggest complaint is how thin and wimpy the guitar sounds most of the time. It just leaves me disappointed. The synths leave and Lifeson is still content with not taking the foreground and occupying the space that they left

That was Alex from the mid to late 80's. He was into that thin, processed guitar sound. Boy did he do a 180. laugh.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 25 2012, 01:37 AM)
QUOTE (Snowman @ Jul 25 2012, 12:35 AM)

did they ever...

vast majority? where are you seeing that?

According to a poll made here: S&A Poll 67% rated S&A as 7 points or better. If that aint the vast majority then I'll smoke my socks. cool10.gif

It's easy to distinguish between true criticism and silly hatred designed for responses on message boards.

To say you would be embarresessed by a Rush song like the Wreckers is to say that you are so connected and emotionally activated by it that it deserves a deep, personal response.

This is utter bullshit designed for attention grabbing, which always works on message boards LOL - shit - I'm commenting on the idiocy.

What I don't understand is why people bother to hate. I don't think I will EVER understand that. Why do people get so attached to things they feel negative about that they will devote so much time and energy to wallowing in that negativity and trying the best they can to pass it on to other people? Life is too f***ing short.

Different strokes for different folks, but I'm glad that I'm the kind of person who would prefer to spend most of her time thinking about things she loves that make her happy rather than things she hates that activate her choler.

Edited by GeddysMullet

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 24 2012, 09:05 PM)
i don't take back what i said. i don't give a shit and think it's a horrible piece. they could do so much better or maybe they were running dry with ideas, and like i said i think it's neil lyrics that geddy has trouble with and he doesn't make it any easier gor ged. good day sir!

This is what went wrong!!!!. Idiots like this posting negative shit, every chance he gets. You don't like the album, yeah WE GET THAT,Please keep your hatred to yourself. 2.gif

What i don't get is why people get up in arms when someone DARE Criticize CA....it's unbelievable. Just cause we don't share your rah-rah attitude. Granted the album's not horrible.....but it's far from a masterpiece. Now is that the definitive opinion...no. But it's an opinion, we all have one....get over it

Mick

QUOTE (bluefox4000 @ Jul 25 2012, 09:25 AM)
What i don't get is why people get up in arms when someone DARE Criticize CA....it's unbelievable. Just cause we don't share your rah-rah attitude. Granted the album's not horrible.....but it's far from a masterpiece. Now is that the definitive opinion...no. But it's an opinion, we all have one....get over it

Mick

I don't care what it is that people criticise. As you say, they are entitled to their opinions. What I don't get is why some people invest so much time and energy into it, and why people are so aggressive about their negative feelings. I can understand over-the-top enthusiasm celebrating music one loves, but what I can't understand is dwelling on music that one doesn't care for. My feeling is that there are so many fewer things in the world worth celebrating than there are worth feeling negative about that I simply don't understand why anyone would cast music in general as something about which to nurture negative feelings.

The people who get upset and take it personally that some people hate the things they love -- I don't get that either. I don't understand the mentality that takes music, which brings joy, and turns it into something that brings dissension and bad feelings among people. Fans ripping on people for hating something that they love is just as senseless and as big a waste of time and energy as is haters ripping on people for loving something they that they hate. To me, music is about joy and feeling good, so again I don't understand why anyone would do anything but more-or-less ignore music that doesn't bring them joy.

I'm not saying that people should feel the way that I do, only that I don't understand that mentality.

Mick

+1

2.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 25 2012, 08:55 AM)
What i don't get is why people get up in arms when someone DARE Criticize CA....it's unbelievable.  Just cause we don't share your rah-rah attitude.  Granted the album's not horrible.....but it's far from a masterpiece.  Now is that the definitive opinion...no.  But it's an opinion, we all have one....get over it

Mick

I don't care what it is that people criticise. As you say, they are entitled to their opinions. What I don't get is why some people invest so much time and energy into it, and why people are so aggressive about their negative feelings. I can understand over-the-top enthusiasm celebrating music one loves, but what I can't understand is dwelling on music that one doesn't care for. My feeling is that there are so many fewer things in the world worth celebrating than there are worth feeling negative about that I simply don't understand why anyone would cast music in general as something about which to nurture negative feelings.

The people who get upset and take it personally that some people hate the things they love -- I don't get that either. I don't understand the mentality that takes music, which brings joy, and turns it into something that brings dissension and bad feelings among people. Fans ripping on people for hating something that they love is just as senseless and as big a waste of time and energy as is haters ripping on people for loving something they that they hate. To me, music is about joy and feeling good, so again I don't understand why anyone would do anything but more-or-less ignore music that doesn't bring them joy.

I'm not saying that people should feel the way that I do, only that I don't understand that mentality.

I agree there. I have no problem with people expressing joy over any album... that's beautiful.....it's the putting down of opposing views that gets to me.

Mick

Thanks to EVERYONE for their replies to this thread. While I strongly disagree with those that believe there is value in overreaching criticism on this message board, I respect their right to vent.

I still have to wonder, "WHY?" Why do people who have hated EVERYTHING Rush has done for the last 20 years stay on this message board. Clearly y'all have moved on--Good for you! Perhaps someone should start a "ClassicRush.com" message board. Then they can happily live in the past without killing the buzz of those of us who still enjoy what Rush has to offer.

Are you all waiting for a return to MP form? Because it's not going to happen.

John has just a little suggestion for any person, anyone, at all that dislikes anything having to do with Rush, or has complaints about songs by Rush:

Here's John:

http://i2.listal.com/image/1236720/600full-johnny-cash.jpg

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jul 25 2012, 11:33 AM)
John has just a little suggestion for any person, anyone, at all that dislikes anything having to do with Rush, or has complaints about songs by Rush:

Here's John:

Nice one!!!

goodpost.gif

Here's John:

love that one. we have that poster hanging up at work. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 25 2012, 12:16 PM)

Here's John:

love that one. we have that poster hanging up at work. biggrin.gif

Good. Everytime you post on TRF while at work, look at Johnny. laugh.gif

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Jul 25 2012, 11:24 AM)
Thanks to EVERYONE for their replies to this thread. While I strongly disagree with those that believe there is value in overreaching criticism on this message board, I respect their right to vent.
I still have to wonder, "WHY?" Why do people who have hated EVERYTHING Rush has done for the last 20 years stay on this message board. Clearly y'all have moved on--Good for you! Perhaps someone should start a "ClassicRush.com" message board. Then they can happily live in the past without killing the buzz of those of us who still enjoy what Rush has to offer.
Are you all waiting for a return to MP form? Because it's not going to happen.

As someone who has said less than kind things about Rush in this thread I offer the following:

There are some of us, like myself, who are disappointed with the direction the band took in the 90's. I don't think it's controversial to say that the albums released in the 90's are the low point in the Rush discography. There are a few good songs on each of those albums, but for the most part I don't like them. Some of us just state our criticism in a less than diplomatic manner, and a few people on this board take that criticism far too personally.

As for CA, it's a very good album. I really like about half the songs, the rest are average, at best. It's a solid rock album. No more. No less.

There are some people here who seem to drop snarky comments on every other thread for the sole purpose of eliciting a response. I don't see the point, and I couldn't care less.

I don't think anyone here truly hates everything Rush has done in the past 20 years. If that's the case, they probably shouldn't be here.

bekloppt.gif