CA vs VT Sound Quality

Gedneil Alpeart

VT vs. CA- which album has better sonic production?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. VT vs. CA- which album has better sonic production?

• CA by a lot
    • CA by a fair amount
    • CA only by a little
    • VT and CA have the same sonic production problems
    • VT only by a little
    • VT by a fair amount
    • VT by a lot

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 21 2012, 01:15 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jul 20 2012, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 20 2012, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 20 2012, 06:21 PM)
CA by a fair amount.

Obviously VT is just a disaster. CA has problems but not on that scale, but it's not up there with the quality of albums like Power Windows. Not even close to that.

So to me it's maybe halfway between PoW and VT as far as sound quality goes.

Dude...we missed you!!!!

Place your right hand on your left shoulder. Now,

Place your left hand on your right shoulder.

Squeeze tightly!!!!

that's from all of us here at the forum!!!

2.gif

not me rofl3.gif

You don't feel the hug eh?

cool10.gif

hug2.gif hug2.gif I'll give him a hug..! hug2.gif hug2.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 20 2012, 08:08 PM)
how is it that rush themselves don't get to give the approval after this thing is engineered and before they release the damn thing? unsure.gif

To be honest I think they just got tunnel vision. You spend a long time working on something and you just convince yourself it sounds good.

If they had fresh ears come in and tell them about what they heard, maybe they would start hearing it as well.

Either that or Nick is at fault and the band put too much trust in him and took a backseat as far as the quality goes thinking he would just nail it for them.

CA by a fair amount.

Obviously VT is just a disaster. CA has problems but not on that scale, but it's not up there with the quality of albums like Power Windows. Not even close to that.

Dude...we missed you!!!!

Squeeze tightly!!!!

2.gif

Lol. I havent been listening to the album so I didnt exactly have a lot to talk about on this CA dedicated board.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jul 21 2012, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 21 2012, 01:15 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jul 20 2012, 07:05 PM)
CA by a fair amount.

Dude...we missed you!!!!

Squeeze tightly!!!!

2.gif

not me rofl3.gif

You don't feel the hug eh?

cool10.gif

hug2.gif hug2.gif I'll give him a hug..! hug2.gif hug2.gif

Wow!!! See dude...people care about you here. Babycat is one of the most respected people on the forum AND a member of the vaunted "Seven Cities o Gold" dance crew from the upcoming tour.

Lucky you!!! Oh I had a question. Is it true that you were the protagonist of the Subdivisions video or is that just some internet hoax?

2.gif

trink39.gif

CA by a mile. I can actually discern instruments on that album. It's not a bottom end BLUR. I can't hear one DISTINCTIVE, separated bass line on VT. Not one. It's muddy and buried. Hell, that difference alone is makes it appreciably better.

Then again there are probably folks who think CA sounds worse than an album like St. Anger, sonically, too. I say put down the crack pipe.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2012, 07:08 AM)
CA by a mile. I can actually discern instruments on that album. It's not a bottom end BLUR. I can't hear one DISTINCTIVE, separated bass line on VT. Not one. It's muddy and buried. Hell, that difference alone is makes it appreciably better.

Then again there are probably folks who think CA sounds worse than an album like St. Anger, sonically, too. I say put down the crack pipe.

St. Anger is horrific, but it was actually done on purpose. VT ended up that way because the band tried to produce it by themselves, and the role of a producer is quality control. Without another set of ears there to say, "No more vocal layering Geddy", then he'll just do what he wants.

I really try to avoid trashing St. Anger too much because they really WANTED that album to sound that way.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jul 20 2012, 09:57 PM)
Everything they've ever done sounds better than VT. Just tried to listen to it again yesterday and I just can't get through it anymore. Gives me a headache.

I agree.

If you had to eat a large bowl of ostrich crap, would you prefer candy sprinkles on top or whip cream?

That's the difference in sound quality between the two.

CA is a much better album, so it sounds better to people. They are much more willing to overlook the atrocious sound quality. Admit it guys and gals, if any other band put out a cd with this kind of sound quality, you'd call it out. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 21 2012, 09:16 PM)
If you had to eat a large bowl of ostrich crap, would you prefer candy sprinkles on top or whip cream?

CA is a much better album, so it sounds better to people. They are much more willing to overlook the atrocious sound quality. Admit it guys and gals, if any other band put out a cd with this kind of sound quality, you'd call it out. trink39.gif

This album sounds like no other from this band...there is nothing wrong with the sound. Thanks Nick--you helped the band forge one of their best ever.

common001.gif

yes.gif

CA is a much better album, so it sounds better to people. They are much more willing to overlook the atrocious sound quality. Admit it guys and gals, if any other band put out a cd with this kind of sound quality, you'd call it out.  trink39.gif

Not true. My liking for CA does not confound my judgement that it has a superior sonic production. Please. At least Im not that impressionable. When I listened to VT and CA side by side, no doubt, CA has better clarity, better separation, much more stripped down, and just a better audio experience. You can think differently if you want, but most of us, as the poll shows, do not think CA as a sonic disaster that was VT.

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 21 2012, 09:41 PM)

CA is a much better album, so it sounds better to people. They are much more willing to overlook the atrocious sound quality. Admit it guys and gals, if any other band put out a cd with this kind of sound quality, you'd call it out.  trink39.gif

Not true. My liking for CA does not confound my judgement that it has a superior sonic production. Please. At least Im not that impressionable. When I listened to VT and CA side by side, no doubt, CA has better clarity, better separation, much more stripped down, and just a better audio experience. You can think differently if you want, but most of us, as the poll shows, do no think CA as a sonic disaster that was VT.

Amen brotha man...lemme hold a dollar!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 21 2012, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 21 2012, 07:08 AM)
CA by a mile.  I can actually discern instruments on that album.  It's not a bottom end BLUR.  I can't hear one DISTINCTIVE, separated bass line on VT.  Not one.  It's muddy and buried.  Hell, that difference alone is makes it appreciably better.

Then again there are probably folks who think CA sounds worse than an album like St. Anger, sonically, too.  I say put down the crack pipe.

St. Anger is horrific, but it was actually done on purpose. VT ended up that way because the band tried to produce it by themselves, and the role of a producer is quality control. Without another set of ears there to say, "No more vocal layering Geddy", then he'll just do what he wants.

I really try to avoid trashing St. Anger too much because they really WANTED that album to sound that way.

Did they want it to suck too, because it does that as well...?

I've been so frustrated with CA that I was wondering if it could possibly be worse than VT, but after comparing them, VT is definitely the problem child.

CA still has it's issues though.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 22 2012, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Jul 22 2012, 07:10 PM)
How can you complain about the production... who gives a flying f**k about production.

Most people.

I don't get why the production value has to take a hit on the musical quality. It's not even bad. The complaining is quite annoying, actually.