Some insight on the NEW Kiss album, Monster

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still absorbing it.

More dynamic and takes more risks than Sonic Boom. You get the feeling that this lineup is establishing its own identity. Thayer doesn't nick Ace's solos this time, but does his own thing and surprisingly, it doesn't suck. If you've ever listened to Black And Blue, you might know what I'm talking about.

Tonally it's great. Gene's bass is in snarl mode. A couple tunes start with a rumbling bass line. One song starts acapella (!), with the guys humorously warming up before delivering some nice harmonies...and then the song launches into the riff. Cool and different for them. They're certainly doing a few more interesting things here. Singer's drumming is in good form. Not back to his cut-loose Revenge/Carnival Of Souls chops, but certainly less "safe" than on the last record. One song, Last Chance, has a good steady power beat to it that drives the song.

Songwriting wise Paul's stuff is improved over Sonic Boom, while I think I like Gene's cuts just a smidgen below the last effort...or at least parallel to it. The fact that Paul's an improvement here, though, is the important part. Both Tommy's and Eric's tunes are better than the last album, especially Singer's, which I consider one of the album's highlights and an all around good, fun, rock and roll number. Seems to be a more driving/heavier album.

If there's a knock, the lyrics remain pedestrian at times. In some cases (Take Me Down Below) down right embarrassing. However on other songs it's improved. Gene does a good "evil" personna in The Devil Is Me and I like the lyrics there as well.

I think it's a grower. I woke up literally humming one of the tunes.

I would say a solid B effort after what I thought was going to be a C or C-minus based on the clips. But the songs are better in fuller form and with a few listens. It's pretty cohesive.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 4 2012, 04:53 PM)
Still absorbing it.

More dynamic and takes more risks than Sonic Boom. You get the feeling that this lineup is establishing its own identity. Thayer doesn't nick Ace's solos this time, but does his own thing and surprisingly, it doesn't suck. If you've ever listened to Black And Blue, you might know what I'm talking about.

Tonally it's great. Gene's bass is in snarl mode. A couple tunes start with a rumbling bass line. One song starts acapella (!), with the guys humorously warming up before delivering some nice harmonies...and then the song launches into the riff. Cool and different for them. They're certainly doing a few more interesting things here. Singer's drumming is in good form. Not back to his cut-loose Revenge/Carnival Of Souls chops, but certainly less "safe" than on the last record. One song, Last Chance, has a good steady power beat to it that drives the song.

Songwriting wise Paul's stuff is improved over Sonic Boom, while I think I like Gene's cuts just a smidgen below the last effort...or at least parallel to it. The fact that Paul's an improvement here, though, is the important part. Both Tommy's and Eric's tunes are better than the last album, especially Singer's, which I consider one of the album's highlights and an all around good, fun, rock and roll number. Seems to be a more driving/heavier album.

If there's a knock, the lyrics remain pedestrian at times. In some cases (Take Me Down Below) down right embarrassing. However on other songs it's improved. Gene does a good "evil" personna in The Devil Is Me and I like the lyrics there as well.

I would say a solid B effort after what I thought was going to be a C or C-minus based on the clips. But the songs are better in fuller form and with a few listens. It's pretty cohesive.

I really wish I felt the same about it. Other than "Long Way Down", I keep finding myself saying WTF! Overall I'm disappointed in Monster.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 4 2012, 05:53 PM)
Still absorbing it.

Listening now.

Ok, all I got to say is I can't stop listening to Monster. More thoughts to come but one thing for now: I'll never rely on 90 second clips to judge an album's quality ever again... Edited by greg2112

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 11 2012, 07:36 AM)
Ok, all I got to say is I can't stop listening to Monster. More thoughts to come but one thing for now: I'll never rely on 90 second clips to judge an album's quality ever again...

Is this your way of saying it's safe for me to buy a copy?

unsure.gif

Long-time KISS fan who doesn't like Sonic Boom (or at least the Gene half). On first listen or two, didn't like Monster. Each song started to sound like a Frankenstein of 2 or more older KISS songs.

I told a friend of mine who's a huge long-time fan as well what I thought of it and he asked if we were listening to the same album. He said he loved it and thought it was one of their best. So, I'm listening to it some more.

I do wish I still had a dedicated stereo at home to listen to this on. Nowadays, everything is iPod, car stereo or computer speakers. Nothing really big-sounding. Maybe I'll play it through the home theater setup of my blu-ray player for a broader spectrum of sound.

One thing I will stand behind is that "Take Me Down Below" has to be one of the worst songs lyrically that they've ever created. Absolutely horrible!

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Oct 12 2012, 08:46 AM)

One thing I will stand behind is that "Take Me Down Below" has to be one of the worst songs lyrically that they've ever created. Absolutely horrible!

Yup. Cringeworthy indeed.

The bonus track I like a lot (Right Here Right Now). It should definitely be on the album (iTunes d/l only), which for Kiss is rare for shelved material. It'd probably be my second favorite Paul cut on the album.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 2 2012, 06:47 AM)
QUOTE (shail @ Aug 1 2012, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 31 2012, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (shail @ Jul 31 2012, 11:44 AM)
Kiss? It's kiddie good two shoes music. happy happy joy joy shit. boys running around with lolly pops in their mouths.

You should not speak in public.

did you run out of lolly pops? well go find your mommy and ask for another one. sounds like you've had one to many.

Not only does this Not make any sense, it's not funny at all . Seriously

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Oct 15 2012, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 2 2012, 06:47 AM)
QUOTE (shail @ Aug 1 2012, 12:44 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 31 2012, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (shail @ Jul 31 2012, 11:44 AM)
Kiss? It's kiddie good two shoes music. happy happy joy joy shit. boys running around with lolly pops in their mouths.

You should not speak in public.

did you run out of lolly pops? well go find your mommy and ask for another one. sounds like you've had one to many.

Not only does this Not make any sense, it's not funny at all . Seriously

z7shysterical.gif

I never saw this reply. And sadly I can never now un-see it.