Rush Clocky - mastering/mixing/production

treeduck

Should Peter Collins return to the RUSH production fold next time? All the albums Peter produced with RUSH have great production quality. And he's still got it, the Flying Colors album sounds excellent!

Come on now you RUSH fools, have at it!

trink38.gif

I think it is possible to get this without going backwards. The band just needs to decide it's what they want. I would love to hear their comments on the sound of the last three albums.

Definitely....

Much as I like the "Nick effect" which has given them a lot of motivation

and a fans perspective, something has to give.

In Nick's interview in the Fan Pack mag he says he was mixing CA in the morning and another bands album in the afternoon.

Sounds like maybe he was not 100% focused.

Time to revert to an old school analog desk and and an old school producer....to get that old school sound....

Then again I don't think they will want to swim against the stream at this

delicate stage of their career.

It all so frustrating !! comp26.gif

QUOTE (MarKo @ Jul 12 2012, 06:26 PM)
Definitely....

In Nick's interview in the Fan Pack mag he says he was mixing CA in the morning and another bands album in the afternoon.

Time to revert to an old school analog desk and and an old school producer....to get that old school sound....

It all so frustrating !! comp26.gif

Maybe they should keep Nick for "production" and have Peter in as the "engineer" and get Bob Ludwig to master it...

key:

"production" = drum conducting and general motivational speeches, Rush fan worship

"engineer" = Producer/mixer

Bob Ludwig = not a bricklayer

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 12 2012, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 05:08 PM)
wipe the slate clean including nick and his orchestra stick. 1287.gif

that made me laugh.gif

i hope you weren't thinking something dirty. unsure.gif

Butthead: Uh huh huh huh huh.....he said "wipe" and "stick" uh huh huh huh huh

Beavis: Yeah....heh heh heh cool.....heh heh heh.....

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 12 2012, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (MarKo @ Jul 12 2012, 06:26 PM)
Definitely....

It all so frustrating !!    comp26.gif

Maybe they should keep Nick for "production" and have Peter in as the "engineer" and get Bob Ludwig to master it...

key:

"production" = drum conducting and general motivational speeches, Rush fan worship

"engineer" = Producer/mixer

Bob Ludwig = not a bricklayer

Peter's not an engineer right? That was Jimbo Barton that I think is more responsible for stuff like Power Windows. I do agree that Nick tries to wear too many hats though. He should stick to arrangement ideas and let somebody else deal with sonic responsibilities.(not Chycki)

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 12 2012, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 12 2012, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 05:08 PM)
wipe the slate clean including nick and his orchestra stick. 1287.gif

that made me laugh.gif

i hope you weren't thinking something dirty. unsure.gif

Butthead: Uh huh huh huh huh.....he said "wipe" and "stick" uh huh huh huh huh

Beavis: Yeah....heh heh heh cool.....heh heh heh.....

ahhhhhhhhhh ahuhhhhhhhh

Has it ever occurred to anyone that it might not be the fault of the producer or engineer for whatever you feel is wrong with this record?

Could it be the band? Nah, no way. What could possibly be wrong with layering 30 guitar tracks per song, with bass, drums, synths, effects and vocals? That's gotta sound great, all those guitar tracks competing for space with all the other single tracked instruments...right? No, not right.

The "producer" obviously has a major input on the direction, sound and structure of the songs, but he doesn't have the final say. Ultimately the band determines how much content each song gets, i.e; number of tracks.

The "engineer" only records and (sometimes) mixes what the band plays. If Alex wants 30 guitar tracks, the engineer records them, period. They may not use all those tracks, but that's up to the producer, then the band.

I guess what I'm saying is, this record is thick with tracks. There is a shit load of sound competing for space. When you have all those layers, things get noisy. I feel this record has so much guitar on it, it covers up everything. This is not necessarily the fault of the producer or engineer. If the band wants all those layers, they get it.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 12 2012, 04:12 PM)
Should Peter Collins return to the RUSH production fold next time? All the albums Peter produced with RUSH have great production quality. And he's still got it, the Flying Colors album sounds excellent!

Come on now you RUSH fools, have at it!

trink38.gif

I wouldn't be against this at all. Nick reminds me more of just a safe standard issue rock album producer. I get why bands like Foo Fighters like him, but Rush? I think they deserve someone who knows how to get a better sound. The drums in particular on CA sound like shit. The snare and bass drums are both dead. All of his albums just have such a generic sound to them, and most of them really lack in the dynamics department.

Peter Collins on the other hand is just all about dynamics. That's why albums like Power Windows just sound so amazingly crisp. the best Neil's drums ever sounded. Definitely would like for them to give him another shot if they were to do another album, possibly going back to him for the last one. Would seem fitting to me.

And the messed up part of all of this is that Ged and Alex both specifically said that the last couple of albums had too many layers and overdubs and CA was going to get away from that. Way to follow through, guys

QUOTE (Mystic Rythm @ Jul 12 2012, 09:58 PM)
Too many songs in the last 3 albums where I find myself straining to hear Geddy. He seems to be buried in the music to much. trink39.gif

so basically you're saying you want a more stripped down sound? i think that's what alex said they were aiming for with this album. unsure.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (Mystic Rythm @ Jul 12 2012, 09:58 PM)
Too many songs in the last 3 albums where I find myself straining to hear Geddy.  He seems to be buried in the music to much.  trink39.gif

so basically you're saying you want a more stripped down sound? i think that's what alex said they were aiming for with this album. unsure.gif

Yeah I think thats what the previous poster was saying, Alex said they wanted to strip this down more, but didnt.

Or maybe they did and there is in fact less tracks like he said, except they boosted those tracks and now it just sounds muddy.

I think the drums sounding dead must just be how they were recorded. And the layered guitars and everything peaked out with Geddys vocals fighting to break through could just be from the mixing phase, which we know Geddy really hates and Alex isnt normally involved in.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jul 12 2012, 10:06 PM)
And the messed up part of all of this is that Ged and Alex both specifically said that the last couple of albums had too many layers and overdubs and CA was going to get away from that. Way to follow through, guys

There is definately more space and less layering of guitar and vocals on Clockwork Angels then the previous two albums.

I know there are many fans who wish Rush would revert to the past, which I understand to a degree - but at this point it's probably moot.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 10:17 PM)
i would like to hear them strip down their sound to something similar to the first album. just for the hell of it. biggrin.gif

They did - it was called Feedback

and we all know how well that went over wink.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 12 2012, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 10:17 PM)
i would like to hear them strip down their sound to something similar to the first album.  just for the hell of it.  biggrin.gif

They did - it was called Feedback

and we all know how well that went over wink.gif

yea but they weren't playing music they created.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jul 12 2012, 09:06 PM)

This. WAY too much shit going on.....layers after layers. 3rd album in a row like this.