Rush Clocky - mastering/mixing/production

treeduck

Still their best work since the 80's. No it's not the best Rush record sonically but I re-EQ'd it and it sounds pretty darn good IMO. I don't think there are as many layers as some of you think. There is not even a rhythm guitar track under the solos on this record.

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jul 13 2012, 03:06 AM)
And the messed up part of all of this is that Ged and Alex both specifically said that the last couple of albums had too many layers and overdubs and CA was going to get away from that. Way to follow through, guys

Agree 100%

Alex seemed really determined to pare back his sound in those interviews.

I think we have to look at the "professionals" who Rush pay to craft the sound of the album.

They've done a poor job..... Simple as.

Music and sound are analog at source and the human ear hears in analog.

The increasing tendency to push natural waveforms through

digital processing..... Filling the sound spectrum artificially....cutting and pasting etc....is what's creating this mess..... Along with the iPod generation.

Back to magnetic tape and vinyl.....!!!... That's what I say.

Can't wait for the live versions of these songs

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jul 12 2012, 06:14 PM)
I completely agree. The sound quality has suffered in the last three albums.

S&A had a great mix, IMO.

QUOTE (MarKo @ Jul 13 2012, 04:09 AM)
QUOTE (jnoble @ Jul 13 2012, 03:06 AM)
And the messed up part of all of this is that Ged and Alex both specifically said that the last couple of albums had too many layers and overdubs and CA was going to get away from that. Way to follow through, guys

Agree 100%

Alex seemed really determined to pare back his sound in those interviews.

I think we have to look at the "professionals" who Rush pay to craft the sound of the album.

They've done a poor job..... Simple as.

Music and sound are analog at source and the human ear hears in analog.

The increasing tendency to push natural waveforms through

digital processing..... Filling the sound spectrum artificially....cutting and pasting etc....is what's creating this mess..... Along with the iPod generation.

Back to magnetic tape and vinyl.....!!!... That's what I say.

Can't wait for the live versions of these songs

I've said this before. Even though I like the S&A mix, Counterparts was the last release with a great mix. The reason? They kept it simple (thanks to Kevin Shirley of Dream Theater fame). Although not as horrid as VT, CA suffers over-production.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 12 2012, 04:12 PM)
Should Peter Collins return to the RUSH production fold next time? All the albums Peter produced with RUSH have great production quality. And he's still got it, the Flying Colors album sounds excellent!

Come on now you RUSH fools, have at it!

trink38.gif

Are you just trying to stir shit up?

Or are you flirting with the 'audio experts'?

This is RUSH's last album and it's perfect. The 'experts' need to decompress their brains and stop grubbing for attention.

No one cares what their basement audio system software says.

We all have these two things called 'ears' and either the music punches your gut and touched your heart via your ears, or .... it doesn't.

No software needed to calibrate my gut and my heart.

ProTools says thanks for buying our software.

tongue.gif

I hope the band produces every album from here to eternity with Nick--he got the best out of them!!!

What did collins bring to the albums he produced? what quality does he bring out of Rush that makes his productions superior to Nicks?

It is almost universally agreed that CA is the bands best release since the early 80's...why is that? Nick had A LOT to do with it. Just ask the boys.

Anyway...someone tell me about Collins and his upside please

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 13 2012, 10:02 AM)
I hope the band produces every album from here to eternity with Nick--he got the best out of them!!!

What did collins bring to the albums he produced? what quality does he bring out of Rush that makes his productions superior to Nicks?

It is almost universally agreed that CA is the bands best release since the early 80's...why is that? Nick had A LOT to do with it. Just ask the boys.

He brought Caveman to Rush. yes.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 13 2012, 09:26 AM)

OK, but what did Collins do for the band??? Caveman isone thing. what does Collins do that is so special???

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 13 2012, 09:27 AM)

OK, but what did Collins do for the band??? Caveman isone thing. what does Collins do that is so special???

He helped creat really crisp and dynamic sounding albums, Rush's best sounding albums IMO. CA is a muddy mess. The drums sound completely dead in it. Rush deserves better than this. Nick is a hack producer who only gets hired by garbage mainstream rock bands.

Why do some of the more creative and revered bands out there not work with stock producers like him? Hmmm I wonder...

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 09:30 AM)

Nick is a hack producer who only gets hired by garbage mainstream rock bands.

Why do some of the more creative and revered bands out there not work with stock producers like him? Hmmm I wonder...

sorry sir, you are in the wee minority on this. everyone else in the world is wrong and your right? Best album since the early 80's is THE consensus.

Anyway...have a nice day dude!

Utterly Flawless

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 13 2012, 09:33 AM)

He helped creat really crisp and dynamic sounding albums, Rush's best sounding albums IMO. CA is a muddy mess. The drums sound completely dead in it. Rush deserves better than this. Nick is a hack producer who only gets hired by garbage mainstream rock bands.

sorry sir, you are in the wee minority on this. everyone else in the world is wrong and your right? Best album since the early 80's is THE consensus.

Utterly Flawless

Um, have you read the threads on this board about the sound of this album? Yeah pretty sure Im not alone. You're too busy with your joke review threads to even realize how many people dont love the mix of this album.

Utterly Flawless

This guy still has not learned what the word opinions mean. If this is the best album this band has put out in 20+ years, WTF does that say about what theyve been doing?

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 09:34 AM)

Utterly Flawless

Um, have you read the threads on this board about the sound of this album? Yeah pretty sure Im not alone. You're too busy with your joke review threads to even realize how many people dont love the mix of this album.

Sure I know how many people aren't happy with the sound. its a preference thing for a minority of people.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jul 13 2012, 06:51 AM)
This is RUSH's last album and it's perfect.

1. This is the bands last album ?

2. One listen to the production tells you right away it's Not perfect

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 13 2012, 09:35 AM)

Utterly Flawless

This guy still has not learned what the word opinions mean. If this is the best album this band has put out in 20+ years, WTF does that say about what theyve been doing?

lets try to forget about the 90's.

Utterly Flawless

I have, and most folks don't have a beef with it. A lot wish it sounded better, sure, but it's not a major issue with most regular posters here.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 13 2012, 09:45 AM)

Utterly Flawless

I have, and most folks don't have a beef with it. A lot wish it sounded better, sure, but it's not a major issue with most regular posters here.

thank you lerxter. it is a minority of people who have a problem with sound. I think the CD sounds awesome in a car, a boom box, or a $3000 stereo!

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 13 2012, 09:47 AM)

Utterly Flawless

thank you lerxter. it is a minority of people who have a problem with sound. I think the CD sounds awesome in a car, a boom box, or a $3000 stereo!

Agreed, and until he releases something superior to anything Rush has recorded, i think he should STFU. 2.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jul 13 2012, 09:49 AM)

Utterly Flawless

Agreed, and until he releases something superior to anything Rush has recorded, i think he should STFU. 2.gif

And for that post sir you deserve a case of whatever you want!!!

goodpost.gif

Utterly Flawless

yea but how many of us are lucky enough to have a $3000 stereo? the stuff from the 70's sounds good whether in a cassette player or $3000 stereo.

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 13 2012, 10:47 AM)

Utterly Flawless

I think you are very lucky to be able to either

A.) ignore the poor mix

B.) not know the difference.

yes.gif

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 13 2012, 10:32 AM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 13 2012, 10:47 AM)

Utterly Flawless

I think you are very lucky to be able to either

A.) ignore the poor mix

B.) not know the difference.

yes.gif

It doesn't stand out to me. Now, admittedly I am no audiophile though I have a deep respect for the quality of sound in music and film. I just don't get it. People in my office who listen to this music with me don't understand the hubbub as well.

Give me an example of where this music falls short in your ears please. In laymans terms if you don't mind.

trink39.gif