The Garden = The Garden of Eden?

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2012, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 10 2012, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2012, 09:29 AM)
Please do not turn this into a religious debate

*Looks at topic title

*Looks at very first line

*Laughs

*Looks at poster

*Looks at member title

*Laughs

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif applaudit.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 10 2012, 01:14 PM)
Good greif.

No Rushgoober, the Garden is not about the Garden of Eden.

I never said it was about it. I said "There's no way he could have not at least thought of "The Garden of Eden" when calling a song "The Garden." I also said "I'm not saying he's making any kind of religious statement here."

A couple of days ago I had the thought (like a bolt from the blue) of The Garden... The Garden of Eden! Then when I started thinking about it and writing about it I could see correlations that went along with the story. Even if Neil never thought about it once (which I doubt), I still can see it metaphorically as I delineated out in my first post.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2012, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 10 2012, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2012, 09:29 AM)
Please do not turn this into a religious debate

*Looks at topic title

*Looks at very first line

*Laughs

*Looks at poster

*Looks at member title

*Laughs

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2012, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 10 2012, 01:14 PM)
Good greif.

No Rushgoober, the Garden is not about the Garden of Eden.

I never said it was about it. I said "There's no way he could have not at least thought of "The Garden of Eden" when calling a song "The Garden." I also said "I'm not saying he's making any kind of religious statement here."

A couple of days ago I had the thought (like a bolt from the blue) of The Garden... The Garden of Eden! Then when I started thinking about it and writing about it I could see correlations that went along with the story. Even if Neil never thought about it once (which I doubt), I still can see it metaphorically as I delineated out in my first post.

Rushgoober, all due respect cause you seem like a nice fellow, but not every one of your "bolts from the blue" merit their own thread.

Edited by HowItIs

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2012, 09:34 PM)
I guess it's not the first time I had a theory I thought was well-thought out and thought provoking only to have it completely shut down without almost any openness to it having any validity at all. Oh, well...

I was open... and it had already crossed my brain, too... but I quickly dismissed it from my thoughts as foolish, as the comparison doesn't fit.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jul 10 2012, 11:12 AM)
The Garden is a pretty tight reference to the "Garden" in Candide. I've been a fan of Voltaire since I read him as an undergrad nearly 30 years ago (yeah, I'm old).

In Candide, the Garden is a metaphor for life. Candide's teacher and mentor, Pangloss, refers to the the Garden often. He reminds Candide again and again, "this is the best of all possible worlds" and advises him to cultivate his garden, i.e., his life.

The Garden in Candide does likely have a sardonic reference to the Garden of Eden. Candide is subtitled "Optimism" and the blindly optimistic themes that were present in French society of that time were ridiculed through the text by Voltaire.

I really need to pull it off the shelf and read it again. Great stuff!

I agree - and I'm not too far behind you at 25 years. My Voltaire is rusty too and I should dust off my copy and re-read it (like I did with the Song of Roland - not that Voltaire wrote that work - years ago after finishing Elric/Stormbringer saga). Very timely.

I think it is one of the parts of the album you can take at face value. The song is very direct. In the fullness of time, its the only return that you expect. Love. Respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned.

Nice posts, HowItIs and FindingIt

goodpost.gif

Edited by CygnusGal

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 10 2012, 10:03 AM)
The Garden of Eden also introduced corruption.

Not exactly. The garden of Eden introduced the possibility of corruption.

It's akin to saying self-confidence causes arrogance. It opens up the possibility, yes, but does not directly cause it.

I guess it's not the first time I had a theory I thought was well-thought out and thought provoking only to have it completely shut down without almost any openness to it having any validity at all. Oh, well...

Hey, sorry there Goob, I didn't mean to be a jerk about it.

Messagboards at work often lead to triggerfinger.

Im stoked you love the album so much, I know how much you were anticipating it. There is definately much to disect!

Peace.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 10 2012, 10:55 PM)
I guess it's not the first time I had a theory I thought was well-thought out and thought provoking only to have it completely shut down without almost any openness to it having any validity at all.  Oh, well...

Hey, sorry there Goob, I didn't mean to be a jerk about it.

Messagboards at work often lead to triggerfinger.

Im stoked you love the album so much, I know how much you were anticipating it. There is definately much to disect!

Peace.

trink39.gif

Oh, Goob I didn't mean to brush you off. And it IS mentioned in Candide. It's an interesting thread and has engendered some good discussion trink39.gif

wub.gif you!

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 11 2012, 02:28 AM)
Oh, Goob I didn't mean to brush you off. And it IS mentioned in Candide. It's an interesting thread and has engendered some good discussion trink39.gif

wub.gif you!

I know - I came back to this and felt like total dick sad.gif

Goob is one of the nicest people here, and certainly the most enthusiastic!

Like I said - I love how stoked you are about this album Goob - your enthusiasm is infectious so keep the threads coming - they are always fun.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2012, 10:34 PM)
I guess it's not the first time I had a theory I thought was well-thought out and thought provoking only to have it completely shut down without almost any openness to it having any validity at all.  Oh, well...

I think it was a very thought provoking post. Whether I agree or not isn't relevant. It has prompted input from a broad spectrum of folks to give input some on each side. And we are all talking about 2.gif!

Please keep up the good work and don't get discouraged because some folks don't agree with you. You're making people think and should be commended.

smile.gif

Hmmm, perhaps I was hasty. I don't think there can be bad posts in a forum or else the whole thing will collapse. Keep 'em coming.

My first reaction was to NOT disassociate the religious aspect of the question and I still have a hard time with that but maybe here's a connection:

The Garden of Eden was supposed to provide a tranquil place where Man could live out his days in peace, in harmony with nature, "tending" the things he found there. Things went as well as Man's behavior allowed...(or, not, as we're all aware).

The Garden (to me) is the place where you tend the fruits of your earlier life's labor (children, friends, a home)....a man's (please excuse the gender unneutrality) behavior/attitude/labor/effort will determine how well the garden gets tended ("so hard to earn, so easily burned).

Whew: that's the best I can do... smile.gif

I believe the Garden represents the beginning of a family. "To nurture and protect" to me ....thats what i take it as. Perhaps it is a reflection of what Neil went through and where he stands now with a newborn in his life. Just a thought. Maybe i`m way off...... maybe im right on target. It is a beautiful song with great lyrics .