Exclusive new Interview

campbellr

Want to get an expert view on the differences in sound between 'Snakes & Arrows' and 'Clockwork Angels' and what it's like to work with the guys during the final audio mastering of the albums. Brian Gardner is their audio mastering engineer of choice and he writes about his work with Rush in the new July edition of Audio Times at www.audio-times.com Edited by campbellr

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 2 2012, 09:56 AM)
I'm confident that more than a few people on this board could do a significantly better job than the last three productions.

yes.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 2 2012, 09:06 AM)
I'm confident that more than a few people on this board could do a significantly better job than the last three productions.

yes.gif

yes.gif

It's unreal how many production issues they've had with their recent albums/live DVD's....

The overall sound on Clockwork Angels is very clean compared to the dense sound of Snakes & Arrows.

wtf.gif

I have no clue what the questioner is talking about here. CA is way bassy and very muddy at times. It also suffers from spots of unintelligible vocals. I think this guy has the albums backwards.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 2 2012, 12:13 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

It's unreal how many production issues they've had with their recent albums/live DVD's....

It's unreal that they have final say on these things and they sign off on it

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 2 2012, 12:25 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

It's unreal that they have final say on these things and they sign off on it

A reliable indicator of the level of quality control for everything they do.

Folks,

Lets not forget that the mix also has a ton of weight here as well.

What's an ME to do when the producer and recording engineer hand him an already Hot mix?

They have been know to compress to the tracks individually before final mastering.

I wouldn't blame the ME totally.

yes.gif

yes.gif

everything seems to work right with terry brown in the picture. tongue.gif

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yeah, these ass clowns have absolutely no freakin' clue...Geddy, Neil, Alex, Nick, and this Gardner guy who's been mastering records professionally for almost fifty years...idiots. Really...what a bunch of morons. Listening to CA is like listening to wet elephant farts.

I was so pissed that CA didn't live up to my exacting standards...so vexed that CA couldn't cut the mustard when I ran it through a series of audio tests that would probably make Geddy, Neil, & Alex piss themselves with feelings of inadequacy...that I boxed up my copy of CA, along with every piece of Rush music I own, and sent it to the Anthem offices with an enclosed note telling them to go screw themselves...that they're dead to me now. I told them I was going to find a band whose audio quality would consistently live up to my concept of perfection.

I no longer care about trivial things like music and lyrics. I must have the Nth degree of technical perfection in all things I see and hear. In fact, I think I can only achieve this by forming my own band. And the level of absolute technical perfection I will achieve will be so stupendous that only dolphins will be able to actually hear the music.

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jul 2 2012, 05:50 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

Yeah, these ass clowns have absolutely no freakin' clue...Geddy, Neil, Alex, Nick, and this Gardner guy who's been mastering records professionally for almost fifty years...idiots. Really...what a bunch of morons. Listening to CA is like listening to wet elephant farts.

I was so pissed that CA didn't live up to my exacting standards...so vexed that CA couldn't cut the mustard when I ran it through a series of audio tests that would probably make Geddy, Neil, & Alex piss themselves with feelings of inadequacy...that I boxed up my copy of CA, along with every piece of Rush music I own, and sent it to the Anthem offices with an enclosed note telling them to go screw themselves...that they're dead to me now. I told them I was going to find a band whose audio quality would consistently live up to my concept of perfection.

I no longer care about trivial things like music and lyrics. I must have the Nth degree of technical perfection in all things I see and hear. In fact, I think I can only achieve this by forming my own band. And the level of absolute technical perfection I will achieve will be so stupendous that only dolphins will be able to actually hear the music.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 09:12 AM)
Should have went with this guy. Pretty much a legend and the best in the business. Really knows how to create clean, powerful sounding masters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Jensen

You mean like he did with Death Magnetic? laugh.gif

Ted Jensen can only be as good as what he's given to work with. Sometimes it's not even up to the mastering engineer. They can receive brickwalled mixes, and do receive them on a regular basis.

Same goes for any engineer who masters an album.

In a recent post on a forum run by professional Mix Engineers one of the most noted ones said that mixers should leave tons of headroom on their mixes and not worry about making a mix louder and to leave that to a mastering engineer.

Another thing to take into consideration is the process when recording and mixing from analog tape versus digital recording and mixing. If one mixes from an analog perspective they are going to make choices based upon that experience which is counter to working in the digital environment. I have found this out over years of producing audio. On analog tape one goal is to saturate tape with sound, partly to overcome inherent tape noise as well as combating a limited dynamic range (but also we have accustomed to this sound and find it pleasant) where digitally the noise floor is considerably lower so the dynamic range is considerably wider. Also since there is no tape to saturate the goal is completely opposite digitally so a good engineer must leave adequate headroom (the range from the loudest point of the material to "digital zero" which is the loudest possible point of a digital audio file). There is nothing gained by maxing out the volume of a digital audio file as one would with analog tape. Basically the working paradigms are opposing. If one tries to apply an analog technique to a digital recording you will distort and not in a good way. This is what may be going on recently with Rush albums.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

I have been listening to the vinyl of ca tonight, it has a much fuller, warmer sound, anr the loudness is toned down. Honestly this sounds fantastic. Highly recommended. 2.gif Edited by canadianice

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 2 2012, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jul 2 2012, 05:50 PM)

yes.gif

yes.gif

biggrin.gif

I sense a subtle undertone of sarcasm in the post. tongue.gif

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jul 2 2012, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jul 2 2012, 07:04 PM)
I think Rush should outsource their engineering, production, art work, song writing, lyrics, vocals, and set list creation to fan chat boards.

rofl3.gif applaudit.gif

Win! rofl3.gif

QUOTE (shail @ Jul 3 2012, 08:31 AM)
pointless interview. he said nothing. politically correct answers. just bull shit crap coming out of his mind. softball answers and questions. album has no dynamics.

Most of the interview you can see Geddy thinking to himself: "Come on, stupid. Think of something funny to say. Damn it."

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 3 2012, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (shail @ Jul 3 2012, 08:31 AM)
pointless interview. he said nothing. politically correct answers. just bull shit crap coming out of his mind. softball answers and questions. album has no dynamics.

Most of the interview you can see Geddy thinking to himself: "Come on, stupid. Think of something funny to say. Damn it."

Wow, you two should get a room and enjoy each other. hug2.gif