Reactions To Clockwork Angels

Tick

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 1 2012, 10:28 PM)
Have a few posts been removed from this thread? confused13.gif

It doesn't seem to make sense...

unsure.gif

Nothing makes sense. Everything is immaterial.

I had a dunkin Donuts coffee this morning. It was pretty good. I also discovered that Def Leppard did a version of ELO's 10538 Overture and it is really good.

Besides this, Rush rocks. I like CA and will reserve final judgments until later. I do hope it grows on me more. It would be awesome for this to be a top 5 Rush release.

Edited by Gompers

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jul 1 2012, 05:29 PM)
Much of it has to do with emotional attachments made to things when we were young. If someone bothered to do polls about favorites by age group, the favorites would probably cluster around what they heard when they were a teenager. When giving lists of top 5 albums, it's common for people to make the comment that their top 5 "will never change".

I'm an oddball because I had Exit Stage Left, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves back in the day. That was about all I knew of Rush until 3 or 4 years ago. I had no idea they were even still a band. It wasn't until the last few years that I listened to the full catalog. I don't have as many sacred cows as most people do. New Rush is far more compelling to me than almost all of those old records, which are pretty new to me. Of course my sacred cows are MP and PeW, but they are pretty much universally liked by all camps of fans.

That is an interesting perspective. I also find New Rush (VT onwards) to be remarkable compelling.

CA is the most exciting release of the New Rush period. Songs that combine relevant insight intertwined with story lines was one trait of the original Rush period I was missing the most in New Rush.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 2 2012, 08:25 AM)
I had a dunkin Donuts coffee this morning. It was pretty good. I also discovered that Def Leppard did a version of ELO's 10538 Overture and it is really good.

Besides this, Rush rocks. I like CA and will reserve final judgments until later. I do hope it grows on me more. It would be awesome for this to be a top 5 Rush release.

IT WILL BE GOMP!!! 1022.gif

Give it time!!! trink39.gif

To show you something.....I have a cousin who thinks Rush ended after Hemispheres. So not everyone goes gaga over PW, MP, and the like. I think my cousin is nuts, of course. cool10.gif I think MP Would have had plenty of detractors if this site existed back then, like any other album.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

They lost some fans after Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and a major exodus after Signals and Grace Under Pressure. All before the internet era.

But they gained so many new ones as well.

One thing I always love to do when I meet other Rush fans at pre and post show gatherings is ask which album sucked you in. It can start a whirlwind of conversation.

I get such a nice variety. I remember one fan telling me Hold Your Fire and I was like "very cool" Love when I hear things like that.

I remember working at Camelot Music in 1987 and pushing Hold Your Fire on so many people. I always gave it a spin on my shift and I would always get the curious question of..."who is this?" And then I would walk them right over to the Rush section and send them on their way with Pictures, Waves, Signals, Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure and Hold Your Fire.

If they would only buy a couple I would send them out with Moving Pictures and Hold Your Fire. 7/10 they came back and bought more Rush.

It was amazing how many people had no idea it was Rush when Hold Your Fire was out...then I would tell them and they would be "the band that does Tom Sawyer?"

Hell yes! That is beauty of Rush everyone. They never sit still. They keep progressing and doing different things.

CA is another shining example. They made a full on start to finish concept record.

And they f***ing pulled it off.....big time!

Edited by Todem

Oh sure. I remember back in the day when Signals came out. A lot of my fellow Rush friends were freaking out because of their "new" sound.

Too be honest, I don't think I was even on board at the time. Going from AFTK and Hemispheres to Signals and GUP was a huge leap.

It took me awhile to really appreciate it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jul 1 2012, 05:29 PM)
Much of it has to do with emotional attachments made to things when we were young. If someone bothered to do polls about favorites by age group, the favorites would probably cluster around what they heard when they were a teenager. When giving lists of top 5 albums, it's common for people to make the comment that their top 5 "will never change".

I'm an oddball because I had Exit Stage Left, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves back in the day. That was about all I knew of Rush until 3 or 4 years ago. I had no idea they were even still a band. It wasn't until the last few years that I listened to the full catalog. I don't have as many sacred cows as most people do. New Rush is far more compelling to me than almost all of those old records, which are pretty new to me. Of course my sacred cows are MP and PeW, but they are pretty much universally liked by all camps of fans.

goodpost.gif

And, for me, its hard to judge Rush album to album over their career. They don't follow a progression where they try to improve on the sound they established in the previous album, sometimes going far afield of that sound/style on purpose.

You can't really compare a lot of the early stuff with the later stuff because the band changed. Age, interests, work ethic. In my mind, they still excel at writing and arranging, the lyrics are poweful as ever, but Rush is a known factor and I don't think they're going to suprise us anymore. In fact, I think the real question should be what do you as the listener expect from Rush that you haven't already heard?

Certainly an interesting point made by the OP mentioning 'the messageboard era'; back in the day, there'd be a few letters sent to music papers (Sounds in my case) + serious discussion over a pint in the pub... now, everyone has what ends up as being perceived as their own global opinion & they can discuss/argue/debate/rant to their heart's content for all the world to see.

Personally, I wasn't keen on Moving Pictures at first, hated Signals & thought Exit Stage Left was a pile of poo... they grew on me hugely and I have to say are now probably my favorite (certainly most played) Rush albums; Snakes & Arrows was another one which took a while to sink in & only really hit the spot after I'd see the chaps playing it live.

So to CA - although not my favorite Rush album by any means, it had a better 1st impression then S&A (although I have to say, I'm still not 100% convinced by the production) & every time I play it I hear more & like it more... at this rate, by the time I see them at the London O2 next year, I'll probably wet myself every time they play a track from CA.

Mind you, at my age, that'll probably happen anyway.

I distincltly remember being pretty pissed about MP when I got home and listended to it when it first came out. I was 15 when it came out and had already been listening to them for a while. I caught on to Rush right at AFTK. I thought 2112 was the benchmark for Rush. The progression between 2112 and Hemisphers was perfect for me. In my mind, MP was a sellout and PerW was the pre- sell out, although I loved PerW at the time. I was pretty hardcore 15 yr old kid back then.

I thought Signals and GUP had too much keys and not enough bass. I loved Power Windows and most of what Rush has done since. Not a big fan of RTB. I did not get thru TFE when it came out. I regarded it as garbage.

In retrospect, attitudes change and tastes change. The olnly cd I ever just clearly hated and refused to listen to was TFE. That as why I am not bashing or hailing the new cd as a return to 2112 or putting it in the leauge. Time will tell. I think it is a very solid piece of work.

As far as the boards go. Its' hard to say how they would go over back then becuase our culture has changed so much over time. I don't know how popular these boards would have been back in the 70's or 80's. We were still opinionated about stuff, but I think we talked about it or dealt with it all a little different. I don't know.

I now like most of Signals , GUP, MP. I am now really learning to appreciate TFE, although it has taken a while.

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 1 2012, 12:57 PM)
I was thinking about this, and I want to see if most agree with me.
It would seem a majority of people on the board love the album, with of coarse a few detractors.
My question is this.
Do you think any album Rush has ever made if released during the messageboard era would be universally loved and received with no fans not being enamored?
I think even the most beloved albums like MP, P Waves, and Hemispheres would have some fans moaning and complaining. That's just how it is.

So if your one of the haters or simply a detractor of CA, you are the minority by miles.

which of coarse means you have no taste in music and should probably listen to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, and leave the good music to those who can better appreciate it. atickhum.gif bacon.gif

We all have a different mental syntax that we mentally go through before we come to acceptance. Some go towards things and some away. Some relate to sameness, some see difference. It is isn't a right or wrong thing, just the way we are or are wired. So yes, there will always be those that are critical of any band, any music or anything.

Even those that don't see the brilliance of GaGa's Bad Romance or the wonderful voice of Katy Perry singing "Boom, boom, boom" on Firework. smile.gif

You can't just assume that people who hate CA have a bad taste in music. Maybe they just like the classic Rush and hate the new "metal" Rush. In my opinion, I don't hate CA, but I think it's very questionable. I think there's only 3 above average songs on it and the rest are average to below average. The only one of their songs I've really really liked after Signals was Presto. 2.gif Edited by DBJetsman