Reactions To Clockwork Angels

Tick

I was thinking about this, and I want to see if most agree with me.

It would seem a majority of people on the board love the album, with of coarse a few detractors.

My question is this.

Do you think any album Rush has ever made if released during the messageboard era would be universally loved and received with no fans not being enamored?

I think even the most beloved albums like MP, P Waves, and Hemispheres would have some fans moaning and complaining. That's just how it is.

So if your one of the haters or simply a detractor of CA, you are the minority by miles.

which of coarse means you have no taste in music and should probably listen to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, and leave the good music to those who can better appreciate it. atickhum.gif bacon.gif

Edited by Tick

QUOTE (Tick @ Jul 1 2012, 12:57 PM)
It would seem a majority of people on the board love the album, with of coarse a few detractors.
My question is this.
Do you think any album Rush has ever made if released during the messageboard era would be universally loved and received with no fans not being enamored?
I think even the most beloved albums like MP, P Waves, and Hemispheres would have some fans moaning and complaining. That's just how it is.

So if your one of the haters or simply a detractor of CA, you are the minority by miles.

which of coarse means you have no taste in music and should probably listen to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, and leave the good music to those who can better appreciate it. atickhum.gif bacon.gif

Rush fans will find something to bitch and moan about even long after Rush are dead. It has been, it is, and always will be.

I can't imagine too many Rush fans would complain about Moving Pictures, although I guess some would complain that it "wasn't progressive enough" following what came prior to it.

I have a great Sounds magazine from 1982 that is completely dedicated to Rush. Of all the crazy things, the guy who reviewed all their albums (up until that point) didn't think highly of Moving Pictures, saying it was too slick sounding. He loved Signals.

Anyway, I guess there are Rush fans who would give Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures a hard time if there was internet back them, but they'd definitely be in a small minority... and they'd obviously be nutty as a fruitcake as those albums are f*cking awesome.

My question is this.

We live in a culture of complaint and entitlements. I'm so happy to be alive and enjoying new music. The sibling who exposed me the band is no longer with here with us. It makes me sad that we can't share this wonderful new music together. I'm glad that I still have the chance to see Rush...enjoy them while Ye can!!!!

As albums make their initial debut there are always complaints because perhaps it did not meet the initial expectations of the listener. But as time goes on it grows on you and you learn to appreciate it more.

I wouldn't put CA in the ranks of the above albums mentioned, but it is one of their better albums, and for their 20th studio album, it is a gem.

every Rush album goes in a slightly different direction than the previous one so I'm sure there has always been these people that find something to dislike..

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 1 2012, 12:23 PM)
I can't imagine too many Rush fans would complain about Moving Pictures, although I guess some would complain that it "wasn't progressive enough" following what came prior to it.

I have a great Sounds magazine from 1982 that is completely dedicated to Rush.  Of all the crazy things, the guy who reviewed all their albums (up until that point) didn't think highly of Moving Pictures, saying it was too slick sounding.  He loved Signals.

Anyway, I guess there are Rush fans who would give Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures a hard time if there was internet back them, but they'd definitely be in a small minority... and they'd obviously be nutty as a fruitcake as those albums are f*cking awesome.

I think there was probably lots of people who didn't like Moving Pictures when it came out simply because it was so popular. people always do this with bands for some reason... claiming the band "sold out"

...but today I'm sure these people are bragging that they were around when Moving Pictures was released! lol

Edited by MMCXII

My question is this.

I don't think that universally loved or hated album exists. Even MP would've had its vocal detractors back in the day had the net existed then.

I think the problem is that we're so quick to comment and have the ability (forum) to do so that we just don't give things proper chances and listens BEFORE we open our mouths.

We also used to have to wait and save up for new releases, etc. It was exciting...it was what kids worked chores and odd jobs for. We weren't so quick to abandon an album or label it a disappointment. We made it worth our while to give it a fair shake.

Now we just want to be the first person online to say "it sucks" or "it's great".

The problem with Moving Pictures was that it was too Canadian. In the states, we would have called it Motion Pictures - otherwise it was a passable album.

Absolutely no doubt about it. There would be the usual negative complaints about all those albums.

"Moving Pictures has too many keyboards-Rush is losing it"

"No epic 20 minute songs on Permanent Waves-Rush is losing it"

"Geddy's voice sounds terrible on Hemispheres. -Rush is losing it"

All one has to do is see the reactions and number of pages and replies to the topics that are negative in nature to see that negativity sells.

I mean we all know who Gemini Rising is don't we?

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 1 2012, 03:54 PM)
Absolutely no doubt about it. There would be the usual negative complaints about all those albums.

All one has to do is see the reactions and number of pages and replies to the topics that are negative in nature to see that negativity sells.

We do? unsure.gif

I have my suspicions of course.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 1 2012, 03:01 PM)
My question is this.

which of coarse means you have no taste in music and should probably listen to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, and leave the good music to those who can better appreciate it. atickhum.gif  bacon.gif

I don't think that universally loved or hated album exists. Even MP would've had its vocal detractors back in the day had the net existed then.

I think the problem is that we're so quick to comment and have the ability (forum) to do so that we just don't give things proper chances and listens BEFORE we open our mouths.

We also used to have to wait and save up for new releases, etc. It was exciting...it was what kids worked chores and odd jobs for. We weren't so quick to abandon an album or label it a disappointment. We made it worth our while to give it a fair shake.

Now we just want to be the first person online to say "it sucks" or "it's great".

You are a wise man. So true.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 1 2012, 03:54 PM)

A bored admin's alt account? One of my friends who doesn't like Rush and wants to f**k with me on here? Jann Wenner?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 1 2012, 04:01 PM)
My question is this.

which of coarse means you have no taste in music and should probably listen to Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, and leave the good music to those who can better appreciate it. atickhum.gif  bacon.gif

Well said.

Much of it has to do with emotional attachments made to things when we were young. If someone bothered to do polls about favorites by age group, the favorites would probably cluster around what they heard when they were a teenager. When giving lists of top 5 albums, it's common for people to make the comment that their top 5 "will never change".

I'm an oddball because I had Exit Stage Left, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves back in the day. That was about all I knew of Rush until 3 or 4 years ago. I had no idea they were even still a band. It wasn't until the last few years that I listened to the full catalog. I don't have as many sacred cows as most people do. New Rush is far more compelling to me than almost all of those old records, which are pretty new to me. Of course my sacred cows are MP and PeW, but they are pretty much universally liked by all camps of fans.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jul 1 2012, 05:48 PM)
I'm just trying to look out for the guy!

You know that's not why he messaged you. It's because you cussed (on a family-friendly board) and attacked him personally multiple times.

Edited by An Enemy Without

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 1 2012, 06:06 PM)
I don't have anything constructive to say in this thread.

bekloppt.gif

Why ruin your perfect record? bekloppt.gif