Am I the only one who feels somewhat underwhelmed?

CantStopThinkingBig

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 20 2012, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 08:47 PM)
You spend 5 years waiting for an album and you'd hope they would find a way to break away from just these standard issue rock songs they've been doing since T4E.

They seem to have no idea what actually made them great which is really interesting chord progressions, vocal melodies that are very pleasing, original arrangements. Now they just write stuff thats not very different than what many rock bands are doing right now.

So yeah, very underwhelmed. I cant just pretend this is some killer album like Hemispheres or Moving Pictures just because Rush wrote it. This is not the same Rush.

Okay, there's #1.

Next up, WCFIELDS, ReflectedLight, GeminiRising...

Who am I missing here? tongue.gif

I think the album is ok....I don't hate it by any means. confused13.gif

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gees,

People amaze me. Learn to grow with the band you love. This album kicks a**! I expected less. I am completely blown away by the album. The band has pulled another rabbit out of there hat. "The Garden" is hard to listen to at times. It tears me up. Clockwork Angels is out of this world. 1022.gif Maybe it's because I grew up with them. I am so proud of the band. I love you crazy dudes! 1022.gif 2.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 20 2012, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 20 2012, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 20 2012, 08:47 PM)
You spend 5 years waiting for an album and you'd hope they would find a way to break away from just these standard issue rock songs they've been doing since T4E.

They seem to have no idea what actually made them great which is really interesting chord progressions, vocal melodies that are very pleasing, original arrangements. Now they just write stuff thats not very different than what many rock bands are doing right now.

So yeah, very underwhelmed. I cant just pretend this is some killer album like Hemispheres or Moving Pictures just because Rush wrote it. This is not the same Rush.

Okay, there's #1.

Next up, WCFIELDS, ReflectedLight, GeminiRising...

Who am I missing here? tongue.gif

I think the album is ok....I don't hate it by any means. confused13.gif

i like 4-5 songs and the others i'm not into so does that mean i hate the album?

I'm one of the few voices that has constantly stood up for S&A and I still love that album.

With that being said, CA is definitely the best thing they've done in a very long time. The album as a whole is infinitely better than piece mealing the songs.

I don't trap myself into comparing this album to Moving Pictures, PeW, Signals, etc. It's unfair to do that to a band that has spanned 40 years. Do you really think they are the same musically, lyrically, artistically as they were twenty-five or thirty years ago?

Am I the only one who feels somewhat underwhelmed?

I was extremely underwhelmed, even disappointed, with S&A.

This album? Not on your life! It rocks and it's awesome!!

it's true parts of the album are slightly underwhelming yeah but it still feels like a vast improvement on s&a and exhibits some of the band's more mature and developed material

one thing that slightly disappoints me is that nothing of the later stuff quite matches the sheer brilliance of BU2B or caravan, like the title track and the garden are very close and parts of the rest arent too bad either like seven cities and carnies great stuff but BU2B and caravan are different class for me... like in spirit of radio kinda class even

BU2B2 isnt doing anything for me like it was just pasted in last minute to give a concept feel or something slower paced, and the wreckers/wish them well are kind of fillers too close together and similar in mid tempo

maybe some of us just need more time for it all to settle in, heck i didnt rate moving pictures in comparison to Waves when it first released

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 20 2012, 10:49 PM)
Gees,

People amaze me. Learn to grow with the band you love. This album kicks a**! I expected less. I am completely blown away by the album. The band has pulled another rabbit out of there hat. "The Garden" is hard to listen to at times. It tears me up. Clockwork Angels is out of this world. 1022.gif Maybe it's because I grew up with them. I am so proud of the band. I love you crazy dudes! 1022.gif  2.gif  trink39.gif

It does.

There are some folks who are sonically stuck in the 70s and 80s. They can't move on and are truly bothered when others can. And so they try to tear down anything the band does outside of their circle of comfort.

The best thing we can do is try to consider each recording of the band in its own context. If you like it, great. If you don't, that's ok too but hopefully, you won't feel compelled to tear it down in an place where folks are enjoying it.

And finally, don't hate the folks who are remain 30 years behind. Pity is a better sentiment.

Edited by Finding IT

S&A is a great album. I like the new one almost as much. It's a win with me.

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Jun 21 2012, 06:27 AM)
it's true parts of the album are slightly underwhelming yeah but it still feels like a vast improvement on s&a and exhibits some of the band's more mature and developed material

Actually, S&A was very musically mature, IMO. CA is a throwback to the older stuff. yes.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 20 2012, 09:22 PM)
Sucks to be you.

Good Point!

I'm having a blast Rocking out to the album. Case Closed

Singles usually are the hilights with albums. You need more time with this album. Start thinking smaller. You need more time with this album. And, you need more time with this album. Now, if after time you're still not impressed, don't start another thread about it.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 21 2012, 08:00 AM)
Singles usually are the hilights with albums.

no.gif

In the case of Rush, the only times I felt the single was the best song on the album was with Roll the Bones ("Dreamline") and S&A ("Far Cry"). Oddly enough, in both cases those songs represented nearly the ONLY songs I liked from their respective albums; the rest of the songs on those albums were "okay" or downright crappy to me.

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 20 2012, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 20 2012, 08:18 PM)
Don't get me wrong, it's a good album... and it blows away S&A (which isn't hard to do). But I'm just feeling a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I expected too much... maybe it was all the anticipation. I also feel like the 3 singles we got to hear ahead of time are the main highlights of the album, so everything else is just "meh". I don't know... maybe I need to give it more time.

Ive listened to it a few times now and have a couple of the tunes staying with me.

I'm now burdened with the realization that they have cut and pasted the chorus arrangements for the past 10 years.

So many people are leaning towards The Garden and personally I love it. And the reason is its melodic and original.

as for the rest of the album I agree. meh.

I agree. There are plenty of great "moments" throughout the album, but there are only a few songs that I LOVE from start to finish.

There seems to be a lot of "cutting and pasting" and often the transitions from one paste to another are not so great.

Sonically, it sounds like every other album today. One review I read compared it to a Nickelback album (production wise - not musically) and I can see his point.

Part of what made Hemispheres, MP and PW is the production: Neil's crisp snare, Alex's bright and brilliant guitars, Geddy's signature bass lines - all working together and complementing each other without any sense of overpowering the other part.

I can listen to Hemispheres on crappy headphones or computer speakers and still pick out ever little intricate detail. I can't say the same about CA.

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jun 21 2012, 05:29 AM)
There are some folks who are sonically stuck in the 70s and 80s. They can't move on and are truly bothered when others can. And so they try to tear down anything the band does outside of their circle of comfort.

And finally, don't hate the folks who are remain 30 years behind. Pity is a better sentiment.

Really?

This is what you think of people who don't find every new Rush production perfect applebutter and sunshine?

I pity your sentiment.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Jun 21 2012, 09:29 AM)
Don't get me wrong, it's a good album... and it blows away S&A (which isn't hard to do). But I'm just feeling a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I expected too much... maybe it was all the anticipation. I also feel like the 3 singles we got to hear ahead of time are the main highlights of the album, so everything else is just "meh". I don't know... maybe I need to give it more time.

Ive listened to it a few times now and have a couple of the tunes staying with me.

I'm now burdened with the realization that they have cut and pasted the chorus arrangements for the past 10 years.

So many people are leaning towards The Garden and personally I love it. And the reason is its melodic and original.

I agree. There are plenty of great "moments" throughout the album, but there are only a few songs that I LOVE from start to finish.

There seems to be a lot of "cutting and pasting" and often the transitions from one paste to another are not so great.

Sonically, it sounds like every other album today. One review I read compared it to a Nickelback album (production wise - not musically) and I can see his point.

Part of what made Hemispheres, MP and PW is the production: Neil's crisp snare, Alex's bright and brilliant guitars, Geddy's signature bass lines - all working together and complementing each other without any sense of overpowering the other part.

I can listen to Hemispheres on crappy headphones or computer speakers and still pick out ever little intricate detail. I can't say the same about CA.

You're sonically stuck man. Get with the times.

Music today is supposed to sound like fuzzy, buzzing crap.

Time to grow and move on dude.

Edited by Pound of Obscure

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 21 2012, 09:51 AM)

laugh.gif

When you think about it Rush is a reflection of whats being played at the time.. They have changed things up plenty of times.During the 70s alot of groups experimented with sounds ... long arrangements..And trippy mind blowing stuff...Then when the 80s can around New Wave set in And what did Rush do they went with electronic drums and synths and alot more melodies . After that what the 90s became a ball of mess to me you had grunge .. alternative this that and the other thing... So u had Rush kind of feeling things out and trying to find there way in that time period thats why they may have got alittle lost in their approach... Now in this era we seem to have music simplified to some degree not all of it but alot...compressed...uninspired...simple...muddled...with alot of deeper low end on Metal acts anyhow and some hard rockers... So i believe Rush has always been a reflection of whats going on around them at times even thou they are totally different sounding group i mean hey its Rush... But things are definately getting picked up in there music from this era is what im thinking is the problem.

In that case, it's the model of what modern audio production should be.

Production aside, it still has lots of great moments, but there are just as many "meh" moments, too.

bacon.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Jun 21 2012, 10:30 AM)

In that case, it's the model of what modern audio production should be.

Production aside, it still has lots of great moments, but there are just as many "meh" moments, too.

bacon.gif 2.gif

The album's shining moments far, far outweight any "meh" moments for me. It's a very subjective take.

About the sound, while I agree that Rush's older albums and generally albums from that time sounded clearer, warmer, and with better separation (which is ironic, considering that it's supposed to GET BETTER with time), today's sound and that of CA does not bother me and I'm easily able to overlook it. Yes, I acknowledge that it's loud, dense, and at times muddled, but those factors do not take away my enjoyment of the songs, which to me are some of their strongest in decades. I go by what I feel....the emotions....and I feel positive things when I hear this album that I haven't felt in a Rush album since the 1980s.

So, I'm in the camp that agrees that sonic production has gotten worse with time, not better, but I'm easily able to overlook it when the music itself is so strong and powerful to me as I hear it on CA. With VT, I am not able to overlook it because the sonic production is much, much worse than on CA and the music is not as strong.....much more choatic, disorganized, and scattered.