New KISS book costs $3,500

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food for thought. http://dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/2012/06/mon...s-response.html

As for me, I'm done. I've been a fan since the 70s and I've put up with the obvious disregard of the fans from these guys. It's all about money. I know the argument is that every band is for the money but this? I can see what they're doing. How far can we push "the fans". I don't have to support them anymore. I have the majority of the cds (and albums) but won't buy anymore. I won't purchase anything KISS related. I'd like to have taken my kids to see them in concert just for the over the top spectacle of it all but I won't spend another dime on them. I won't listen to the cds anymore. I know I've purchased them and they've stuck it to me on that but it's my own protest so f**k it. The complete lack of touch with the fans, who they say they're in it for, is a f***ing lie and I'm done with it. f**k KISS and f**k their lack of being in touch with their fans.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 19 2012, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 19 2012, 03:08 PM)
This?

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2012/06/KISS-Monster-Book.jpg

MURRICA!

huge waste of trees.

hockey.gif

That's the one. I don't care if it doubles as a bridge across the Grand Canyon, it ain't worth a fraction of that.

Christ! That's a big one..! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 21 2012, 03:06 AM)
This?

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2012/06/KISS-Monster-Book.jpg

MURRICA!

huge waste of trees.

hockey.gif

That's the one. I don't care if it doubles as a bridge across the Grand Canyon, it ain't worth a fraction of that.

http://i.imgur.com/68psQ.jpg

MY...that's a BIG one...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 03:34 AM)
This?

MURRICA!

huge waste of trees.

hockey.gif

MY...that's a BIG one...

http://i.imgur.com/nnL3F.jpg

"That's MY line! but it is a BIG one..."

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 20 2012, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 20 2012, 09:21 PM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 20 2012, 08:19 PM)
Is anyone really surprised by this?

$3,500 for a Book ? Just a little

Surprised by Gene Simmons charging 3500 for a book???

I know it's crazy but It's Gene Simmons...He knows there are some who will shell out that much for a book and he's happy to take their money...Those who don't he's happy to take their cash as well in some other way....Nobody has to buy the book.

No, of course not. I never bought the casket either. biggrin.gif I guess the frustration lies in putting shit out there that 99.5% of your fans can't afford to begin with. Ok, a casket is weird and I get that...but a BOOK is the kind of thing (like an album or video) where most fans would like to own it. It's not some fetish thing or taste-specific item. It's a book.

Rush would never put out a book of any size and dream of charging $3,500....and at least part of that would be because they'd want to make it affordable for more than just a few wealthy fans, excluding the rest. They simply wouldn't.

You know, make the thing a bit smaller (to keep the cost down, but still big enough to live up to the name and be unique) and charge $500 instead. That's still very high, BUT it's the kind of price that's reachable. It's a good gift...or you save up for a short time for it, whatever. Costs the band less to make them and they sell a whole lot more of them because they're not alienating almost every member of their fanbase.

Here's the thing: on Kiss boards they should be FAWNING over it, right? I mean, if not there, then where? But what's the reaction? Astonishment. Insult. Ridicule.

So what's been accomplished by making your own fans, who might otherwise want to buy it, either laugh at you and your ridiculousness or get angry? In what world where all bands have anymore are their fan base is that a good idea?

I think this is more than just a discussion about capitalism. If we limit it to just that, then by all means, godspeed. Either people will buy it or they won't and you'll sell them at a loss. But it's about what it means to fans, peddling shit that is out of the reach of most of them.

What's next....their new album isn't $9.99 at Best Buy but $1,000 and available only to fans through some exclusive club? Or concerts are now in front of 50 people instead of 8,000, but the ticket price is $15,000 a head as a part of some SUPER FAN tour? That only sounds stupid and completely irrational until a band like this tries it.

Anyhow, it's terribly unpopular with the ONLY people on the planet who care...their fans. That's a pretty dumb move to me. But hey, Kiss are good at taking a giant shit on their fans.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 09:47 AM)
This?

MURRICA!

huge waste of trees.

hockey.gif

MY...that's a BIG one...

"My... That's a big one..!" Always loved that line.. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 19 2012, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 19 2012, 03:56 PM)
KISS SUCKS

No they don't

Yeah, seriously...no offence to you guys, but why the hell would you come into a thread about KISS just to make a statement like that?

If you don't like the band, then a thread about them is probably not for you to read?

Is Gene Simmons a greedy bastard? Yes. But does the band suck? Definitely not.

QUOTE (Yooper @ Jun 21 2012, 03:05 AM)
Food for thought. http://dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/2012/06/mon...s-response.html

As for me, I'm done. I've been a fan since the 70s and I've put up with the obvious disregard of the fans from these guys. It's all about money. I know the argument is that every band is for the money but this? I can see what they're doing. How far can we push "the fans". I don't have to support them anymore. I have the majority of the cds (and albums) but won't buy anymore. I won't purchase anything KISS related. I'd like to have taken my kids to see them in concert just for the over the top spectacle of it all but I won't spend another dime on them. I won't listen to the cds anymore. I know I've purchased them and they've stuck it to me on that but it's my own protest so f**k it. The complete lack of touch with the fans, who they say they're in it for, is a f***ing lie and I'm done with it. f**k KISS and f**k their lack of being in touch with their fans.

KISS was always for the money, even when they recorded their 11 or 12 good songs

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 21 2012, 08:22 AM)
KISS SUCKS

No they don't

Yeah, seriously...no offence to you guys, but why the hell would you come into a thread about KISS just to make a statement like that?

If you don't like the band, then a thread about them is probably not for you to read?

you're right. after classics like asylum and psycho circus, how can I dislike this band?

I liked KISS when I was 8 years old.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 21 2012, 11:23 AM)
KISS SUCKS

No they don't

you're right. after classics like asylum and psycho circus, how can I dislike this band?

moon.gif

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 21 2012, 10:23 AM)
KISS SUCKS

No they don't

That was only last year though wasn't it?

unsure.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jun 21 2012, 08:31 AM)
For $4300 that mother f*cker better turn into a kick ass go-kart with gold rims that shoots missiles. That price is insane and a huge slap in the face to fans. Holy shit. rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 21 2012, 08:19 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 09:47 AM)
This?

MURRICA!

huge waste of trees.

hockey.gif

MY...that's a BIG one...

"My... That's a big one..!" Always loved that line.. z7shysterical.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltzphsHxDD1qcx087.gif

KISS SUCKS

No they don't

Classic dismissive "I like more sophisticated stuff than you" comment that you OFTEN get from prog fans.

It's about as fair as "I listened to Rush when I was 13 and played Dungeons & Dragons, eating Funyons and drinking Dr. Pepper with my friends....and then I discovered girls!!"

That's how dumb the "I liked Kiss...when I was in grade school" comment reads. Congrats.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 21 2012, 01:46 PM)
KISS SUCKS

No they don't

Classic dismissive "I like more sophisticated stuff than you" comment that you OFTEN get from prog fans.

It's about as fair as "I listened to Rush when I was 13 and played Dungeons & Dragons, eating Funyons and drinking Dr. Pepper with my friends....and then I discovered girls!!"

That's how dumb the "I liked Kiss...when I was in grade school" comment reads. Congrats.

I wasn't saying I was better than anyone. I still like old KISS (the 10-12 good songs they made), I'm just saying they weren't a favorite of mine for very long.

Please don't take anything I say as an insult though. I mean, I understand albums like The Elder and Asylum are very important to people, and I'd never wanna hurt anyone's feelings.

Well you hear a lot of that kind of thing. I love you guys, but sometimes prog fans are about the most judgmental folks around, berating some rock as being music for simpletons, etc...and Kiss often fronts that list. I get a little frustrated with that, as much as I enjoy prog as well (obviously). biggrin.gif

Time and a place and a mood for most things, methinks.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 21 2012, 03:04 PM)
Well you hear a lot of that kind of thing. I love you guys, but sometimes prog fans are about the most judgmental folks around, berating some rock as being music for simpletons, etc...and Kiss often fronts that list. I get a little frustrated with that, as much as I enjoy prog as well (obviously). biggrin.gif

Time and a place and a mood for most things, methinks.

trink39.gif

I mostly like simplistic music though. My username comes from a band that exclusively sings about Satan. I just can't dig KISS very much anymore, aside from Alive and Alive II.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 21 2012, 08:11 AM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 20 2012, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 20 2012, 09:21 PM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 20 2012, 08:19 PM)
Is anyone really surprised by this?

$3,500 for a Book ? Just a little

Surprised by Gene Simmons charging 3500 for a book???

I know it's crazy but It's Gene Simmons...He knows there are some who will shell out that much for a book and he's happy to take their money...Those who don't he's happy to take their cash as well in some other way....Nobody has to buy the book.

No, of course not. I never bought the casket either. biggrin.gif I guess the frustration lies in putting shit out there that 99.5% of your fans can't afford to begin with. Ok, a casket is weird and I get that...but a BOOK is the kind of thing (like an album or video) where most fans would like to own it. It's not some fetish thing or taste-specific item. It's a book.

Rush would never put out a book of any size and dream of charging $3,500....and at least part of that would be because they'd want to make it affordable for more than just a few wealthy fans, excluding the rest. They simply wouldn't.

You know, make the thing a bit smaller (to keep the cost down, but still big enough to live up to the name and be unique) and charge $500 instead. That's still very high, BUT it's the kind of price that's reachable. It's a good gift...or you save up for a short time for it, whatever. Costs the band less to make them and they sell a whole lot more of them because they're not alienating almost every member of their fanbase.

Here's the thing: on Kiss boards they should be FAWNING over it, right? I mean, if not there, then where? But what's the reaction? Astonishment. Insult. Ridicule.

So what's been accomplished by making your own fans, who might otherwise want to buy it, either laugh at you and your ridiculousness or get angry? In what world where all bands have anymore are their fan base is that a good idea?

I think this is more than just a discussion about capitalism. If we limit it to just that, then by all means, godspeed. Either people will buy it or they won't and you'll sell them at a loss. But it's about what it means to fans, peddling shit that is out of the reach of most of them.

What's next....their new album isn't $9.99 at Best Buy but $1,000 and available only to fans through some exclusive club? Or concerts are now in front of 50 people instead of 8,000, but the ticket price is $15,000 a head as a part of some SUPER FAN tour? That only sounds stupid and completely irrational until a band like this tries it.

Anyhow, it's terribly unpopular with the ONLY people on the planet who care...their fans. That's a pretty dumb move to me. But hey, Kiss are good at taking a giant shit on their fans.

I agree...It's a shit move to the fans....Glad I'm not a diehard Kiss fan.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 11:14 AM)
KISS SUCKS

No they don't

unsure.gif

rofl3.gif spot on

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2012, 01:14 PM)
KISS SUCKS

No they don't

unsure.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif