New KISS book costs $3,500

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only guy I even heard of who wasn't in Rock-n-Roll for the money was Curt Cobain who killed himself because he didn't want to be a rock star. Rush are in it for the money too folks. Don't kid yourselves. They know that they, even in this day and age, can make an album then sell it to hundreds of thousands of us who willingly overpay for their music. Remember when albums cost $8, or $5 or less even? Do you really think they would have made CA if they thought none of us would buy it?

Gene $immon$ turned a great band into a licensed franchise which is why Ace wanted out in the first place. He also has an open invitation to return at any time, which Peter does not. I would pay $3500 to own Ace Frehley! KISS hasn't been KISS since the original 4 played together period. Gene knows how to capitalize on fans who are willing to overpay. Why should scalpers make money that really belongs to his band? Who here as paid more than face value for a Rush ticket? If so then someone other than Rush is getting that surplus. In Gene's defense he is sticking it to scalpers and cutting out the middle man. If a fan will pay $1500 for a front row seat then KISS should be making that money and not some guy on Stub Hub.

That said I have not purchased any non-music related KISS merch in decades with the exception of Ace's and Gene's biographies. Not sure if I will get KISSology 4 when it comes out, unless it has the classic lineup.

I love KISS. They are in my top 3 with the Beatles and Rush. I was a KISS fan when it was unpopular to be a KISS fan. I didn't care for the non makeup years but would go see them to hear their old tunes. It was almost sad to see them in a half filled (or less) arena. A friend of mine took me to a Sonic Boom show and the place was packed, but it wasn't really KISS. Sure they had the makeup and the show but it was more like an official tribute show than anything else.

Perhaps Gene's new found respect for his wife and family will seep through to where he realizes that KISS without Pete and Ace isn't really KISS. Of course he won't, because that will impact his income, but one can hope.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Jun 23 2012, 02:46 AM)
So what happened to Peter and Ace? Did Gene kick them out?

Peter by 1979 was more and more unable to perform up to a professional standard due to his alcohol and drug abuse, to the point where his parts on Dynasty were performed by Anton Fig even though Criss appears on the cover and gets the credit. His only contribution to the album is lead vocals on one song.

By the end of the year he was out of the band by mutual consent. Officially though and as far as the public and fans were concerned he was still a member of KISS up. He appeared on the cover of the next album Unmasked and was credited with playing drums, but once again all drums were performed by Anton Fig.

When the tour began in the summer of 1980, finally the secret was out and new drummer Eric Carr was unveiled with his new "fox" make-up and costume.

Ace meanwhile carried on while Peter was being ushered out and when he'd left but he felt more and more out of the loop as far as decision making in the band was concerned. Peter's one quarter partnership had been bought out by the others but Carr was not made a full partner in KISS, he was merely the band drummer, so the KISS partnership was now a three way split. This left Ace constantly being outvoted by Gene and Paul on major decisions.

And one of the areas of dispute was the direction of the band musically. Frehley didn't like the idea of doing a concept album which Gene and Paul wanted to do next. During the recording of Music From the Elder in 1981 Ace barely contributed to it, providing just two songs, one instrumental, one of which was written prior. Ace recorded his parts in his home studio sent his tapes via mail and didn't even sit in the studio with Gene and Paul.

When the album came out it flopped and flopped so badly they didn't even tour behind it. They did shoot a video and appeared live on a couple of TV shows but that was it.

In 1982 KISS recorded four songs for a new compilation album Killers, Ace didn't play on these songs Bob Kulick performed the lead guitars. He did appear on the cover like Criss had done during his final KISS days, but had nothing to do with the new tracks. By the time Creatures of the Night was released Ace was out of the band, he hadn't played on the album, various session players had filled in, including future member Vincent "Vinnie Vincent" Cusano but once again he did appear on the cover and he also appeared in a promo video for, I think, I love it Loud, but of course he hadn't played on the track itself.

Once again once the album hit the racks the public assumed all was as before, but when the tour started towards the end of 1982 Vinnie Vincent was sensationally revealed as the new KISS lead guitarist, sporting his brand new Egyptian Ankh Warrior make-up and costume and playing a pink Randy Rhoads shark's fin guitar.

Ace may have been out of the band but he would receive full 1 quarter royalties from the Creatures album and the next two albums Lick it Up and Animalize despite not having anything to with any of them.

In 1996 Peter and Ace returned for the reunion tour, Psycho Circus album in 1998, and subsequent tours into the 21st century, but their contributions to the album were limited compared to the old days and they were no longer partners in KISS but only paid employees with a contracted deal. Eventually their relationship with Gene and Paul soured and they once again left the band, for good this time.

I think that just about covers it. cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 23 2012, 05:37 AM)

Peter by 1979 was more and more unable to perform up to a professional standard due to his alcohol and drug abuse, to the point where his parts on Dynasty were performed by Anton Fig even though Criss appears on the cover and gets the credit. His only contribution to the album is lead vocals on one song.

By the end of the year he was out of the band by mutual consent. Officially though and as far as the public and fans were concerned he was still a member of KISS up. He appeared on the cover of the next album Unmasked and was credited with playing drums, but once again all drums were performed by Anton Fig.

When the tour began in the summer of 1980, finally the secret was out and new drummer Eric Carr was unveiled with his new "fox" make-up and costume.

Ace meanwhile carried on while Peter was being ushered out and when he'd left but he felt more and more out of the loop as far as decision making in the band was concerned. Peter's one quarter partnership had been bought out by the others but Carr was not made a full partner in KISS, he was merely the band drummer, so the KISS partnership was now a three way split. This left Ace constantly being outvoted by Gene and Paul on major decisions.

And one of the areas of dispute was the direction of the band musically. Frehley didn't like the idea of doing a concept album which Gene and Paul wanted to do next. During the recording of Music From the Elder in 1981 Ace barely contributed to it, providing just two songs, one instrumental, one of which was written prior. Ace recorded his parts in his home studio sent his tapes via mail and didn't even sit in the studio with Gene and Paul.

When the album came out it flopped and flopped so badly they didn't even tour behind it. They did shoot a video and appeared live on a couple of TV shows but that was it.

In 1982 KISS recorded four songs for a new compilation album Killers, Ace didn't play on these songs Bob Kulick performed the lead guitars. He did appear on the cover like Criss had done during his final KISS days, but had nothing to do with the new tracks. By the time Creatures of the Night was released Ace was out of the band, he hadn't played on the album, various session players had filled in, including future member Vincent "Vinnie Vincent" Cusano but once again he did appear on the cover and he also appeared in a promo video for, I think, I love it Loud, but of course he hadn't played on the track itself.

Once again once the album hit the racks the public assumed all was as before, but when the tour started towards the end of 1982 Vinnie Vincent was sensationally revealed as the new KISS lead guitarist, sporting his brand new Egyptian Ankh Warrior make-up and costume and playing a pink Randy Rhoads shark's fin guitar.

Ace may have been out of the band but he would receive full 1 quarter royalties from the Creatures album and the next two albums Lick it Up and Animalize despite not having anything to with any of them.

In 1996 Peter and Ace returned for the reunion tour, Psycho Circus album in 1998, and subsequent tours into the 21st century, but their contributions to the album were limited compared to the old days and they were no longer partners in KISS but only paid employees with a contracted deal. Eventually their relationship with Gene and Paul soured and they once again left the band, for good this time.

Thanks....So I guess the relationship with Ace is good enough that if he wanted back in (as a paid employee) Paul and Gene are good with that, but Peter burned the bridge so badly he's out for good?

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 22 2012, 10:15 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jun 22 2012, 10:30 PM)
It just amazes me why some people want Peter back in the band. I never liked him from the start, though he was decent in the early days 74-77 but after that  new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif .

Why isn't Peter welcome back in the band?

He's a pretty terrible drummer. I love the guy and in his prime I thought he was quite good, but I wouldn't wish him back in Kiss or any band today. He's happily retired and making some records that excite him...and I'm perfectly fine with that.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 23 2012, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 23 2012, 05:37 AM)

Thanks....So I guess the relationship with Ace is good enough that if he wanted back in (as a paid employee) Paul and Gene are good with that, but Peter burned the bridge so badly he's out for good?

Yup... Definately covers it. Thanks, Duck..! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jun 22 2012, 10:30 PM)
It just amazes me why some people want Peter back in the band. I never liked him from the start, though he was decent in the early days 74-77 but after that new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif .

No kidding...and personally, same goes for Ace in my opinion.

Both Tommy and Eric are fantastic players...and honestly, who gives a flying s**t whether or not they use the classic makeup?!

The fact is, both these guys are reliable, and they are both fantastic players.

Sonic Boom was one hell of an album...and I'm expecting 'Monster' to be in the same vein. People need to move on. KISS is doing just fine these days.

Gene probably figures over the last 35 years, kiss has to have some wealthy fans who grew up, made fortunes, and still love kiss. The 3,500 price tag would make the fans who could afford it feel special, part of an elite group. The sad part is, you know damn well there are working stiffs who will charge the book on their credit cards and be in debt fir ten years paying for that pile of trees they call a book. Pfft.

I guess the 300 million in gene's savings account isn't enough to retire on.

In other news, ace frehley is doing a free concert this summer in my home town. If anyone wants to join me, you can crash at my pad. July 27, 1/4 mile from cobo hall (kiss alive) on the riverfront. Didn't mean to hijack thread, guys...