The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Sucks Ballz!!!

ScottT67

We have all wanted it for a long time! - This album will get them in, in 2013...

But it's kind of Bittersweet!

It's like dating a girl you really like, but never getting around 2nd base - She makes you wait so long, by the time she is FINALLY ready, you have lost interest!

We all know how insanely awesome the holy triumbrant is!

Even after they are in - Especially after they are in, I still extend my middle finger to those who have kept them out, and fart in there general direction.

Summing up the title of this post!

The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Sucks Ballz! smile.gif

The R&RHOF can feel free to tounge my hairy bean bag! Something so awesome as Rush, doesn't require your dubious honor!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 05:39 PM)
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE STARTED THE 1,000TH THREAD ABOUT RUSH AND THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME! YOU HAVE WON AN ALL EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO THE RRHOF, AND WHEN RUSH IS INDUCTED, GEDDY WILL SIGN THE BODY PART OF YOUR CHOICE!

Please be sure to check out all my RUSH pics now archived in their library in The Aquarian Weekly

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 06:39 PM)
CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE STARTED THE 1,000TH THREAD ABOUT RUSH AND THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME! YOU HAVE WON AN ALL EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO THE RRHOF, AND WHEN RUSH IS INDUCTED, GEDDY WILL SIGN THE BODY PART OF YOUR CHOICE!

If no one responds, no one else has to suffer the pain of clicking on the thread, forcing themselves to read an OP they don't even care about.

eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 18 2012, 03:47 PM)
CONGRATULATIONS!  YOU HAVE STARTED THE 1,000TH THREAD ABOUT RUSH AND THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME!  YOU HAVE WON AN ALL EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO THE RRHOF, AND WHEN RUSH IS INDUCTED, GEDDY WILL SIGN THE BODY PART OF YOUR CHOICE!

If no one responds, no one else has to suffer the pain of clicking on the thread, forcing themselves to read an OP they don't even care about.

eyesre4.gif

But you're responding! tongue.gif

To give a serious response to the OP, however, I seriously doubt that Clockwork Angels will have any impact on their RRHOF chances. I mean, of course it SHOULD, but if we get into shoulds, than they SHOULD have gotten in after Beyond The Lighted Stage. They SHOULD have gotten in many, many, years ago.

I'd love them to get inducted, but at this point I've all but given up hope.

Good article - very good points. I think the next induction will be an awkward one. Either the RRHOF will have to clearly overlook an amazing work by an amazing band who has an amazing history and continues to make history - OR - they will move to induct them and then the band must choose to turn them down (the best choice) or show up and give a speech. What does a band say after a decade of obvious snubs? I would bet that would be the hardest speech Neil would ever have to write. "Um, I guess it took awhile to translate the Canadian area codes..."?

They are an order of magnitude or two beyond RRHOF...

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Yep! That sums it up all right. biggrin.gif

This topic is so old, and has nothing to do with CA.

They should be in due to their accomplishments and longevity alone, and I do think they will get in someday as like a sentimental favorite due to pressure from the public, but I get why they arent in.

Rush first of all isnt even that famous. Not even close to many of the bands that are in. It would be difficult for you to find many people in this world that havent heard of Metallica. But a lot of people dont know who Rush is, which is why Geddy refers to them himself as an underground band still.

Then you have to think about the fact that they've never really been innovators. As good of a band as theyve been, they never started any trends or anything like that, and many of the artists in the HOF did.

Rush did prog years after others were already doing it. Same with new wave and alternative. The truth is they've always been followers, just doing what others were around them but in their own way and tried to do it better. But the HOF doesnt look at that.

Metallica really pushed along metal. Nirvana completely changed popular music itself. Madonna is just stupid popular. Beastie Boys pushed the rock/rap movement. Rush never did anything like that.

They're one of the best bands of all time because of their abilities and longevity, but the HOF doesnt just put people in because they were good musicians, otherwise why isnt Dream Theater in? They're far better technical musicians than Rush ever was and have been around a good amount of time themselves.

Rush will get in someday, even after they're gone and I think they should be in just because of how long theyve been around, but I understand why they arent in yet at the same time.

you say followers, but arent all talented musicians who learned from the generations before followers then? Zep, Clapton, Hendrix, Allmans, The Band, The Beatles. Cocker, Joplin, Leon Russell, etc all borrowed from blues, soul, gospel etc and put their DNA in it. I feel RUSH brought Hard Rock elements to the prog that Yes Genesis, ELP, KIng Crimson Tull etc didnt really possess.

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Jun 18 2012, 09:15 PM)
you say followers, but arent all talented musicians who learned from the generations before followers then? Zep, Clapton, Hendrix, Allmans, The Band, The Beatles. Cocker, Joplin, Leon Russell, etc all borrowed from blues, soul, gospel etc and put their DNA in it. I feel RUSH brought Hard Rock elements to the prog that Yes Genesis, ELP, KIng Crimson Tull etc didnt really possess.

See, you're mentioned people far more famous than Rush. It is called the Hall of FAME for a reason. Its not for people who are great musicians. You either need to be ridiculously famous, which Rush really isnt, or be some sort of pioneer, which they never were.

Of course Hendrix just build on what he grew up loving, but he was a major innovator on guitar. How many people dont know who Clapton is? Most people on Earth do, outside of third world countries of course. You can walk down a street in Japan and ask them who Eric Clapton is, many will have at least heard of him. I know, I heard him on the radio when I was there for work. But many of them wont know who Rush is.

People just think because they love Rush and theyve been around a long time that they should just be in, but thats really now what they vote on.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 09:21 PM)

See, you're mentioned people far more famous than Rush. It is called the Hall of FAME for a reason. Its not for people who are great musicians. You either need to be ridiculously famous, which Rush really isnt, or be some sort of pioneer, which they never were.

Of course Hendrix just build on what he grew up loving, but he was a major innovator on guitar. How many people dont know who Clapton is? Most people on Earth do, outside of third world countries of course. You can walk down a street in Japan and ask them who Eric Clapton is, many will have at least heard of him. I know, I heard him on the radio when I was there for work. But many of them wont know who Rush is.

People just think because they love Rush and theyve been around a long time that they should just be in, but thats really now what they vote on.

still disagree, especially when you take their whole career into account. There are lots of people youve never heard of in the Hall I would think. And by your logic Kiss should be in already. More people in the world know Kiss than Tony Dowd, REM, The Clash, and The Beastie Boys probably combined. And Genesis is in, why isnt YES or RUSH then? RUSH has lasted longer that Genesis did in any line up. Its not just because some of us "just love" them at all, its a matter of principle, bias and pandering to industry marketing directives if anything.

Edited by ucsteve667

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 09:21 PM)

how did blondie innovate things? and don't say FIRST HIP-HOP HIT either, that's not really rock 'n roll innovation. as much as i dig blondie.

and in reference to nirvana being innovators...come on, as much as i dig nirvana, they just took what husker du/melvins/dinosaur jr/wipers/flipper/the replacements did and made it more accessible for the masses

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 08:09 PM)
This topic is so old, and has nothing to do with CA.

They should be in due to their accomplishments and longevity alone, and I do think they will get in someday as like a sentimental favorite due to pressure from the public, but I get why they arent in.

Rush first of all isnt even that famous. Not even close to many of the bands that are in. It would be difficult for you to find many people in this world that havent heard of Metallica. But a lot of people dont know who Rush is, which is why Geddy refers to them himself as an underground band still.

Then you have to think about the fact that they've never really been innovators. As good of a band as theyve been, they never started any trends or anything like that, and many of the artists in the HOF did.

Rush did prog years after others were already doing it. Same with new wave and alternative. The truth is they've always been followers, just doing what others were around them but in their own way and tried to do it better. But the HOF doesnt look at that.

Metallica really pushed along metal. Nirvana completely changed popular music itself. Madonna is just stupid popular. Beastie Boys pushed the rock/rap movement. Rush never did anything like that.

They're one of the best bands of all time because of their abilities and longevity, but the HOF doesnt just put people in because they were good musicians, otherwise why isnt Dream Theater in? They're far better technical musicians than Rush ever was and have been around a good amount of time themselves.

Rush will get in someday, even after they're gone and I think they should be in just because of how long theyve been around, but I understand why they arent in yet at the same time.

You should read "The Politics of Glory" by Bill James. It's about baseball, but it applies here.

Ron Santo (unfortunately posthumously) was elected this year, and Rush is long overdue by any criteria used. They clear the bar by so far that it has compromised the credibility of the institution by their continued exclusion.

Not that at this point I give a flying f*** about them getting in.

Rock n Roll is a funny industry. I have a feeling if they all broke up or someone died of a drug overdose or they were in a plane crash after Moving Pictures they'd probably be in the hall. It also seems catching lightning in a bottle with one album or one song but never coming close to that and being out of the industry 5 years later (or dead) is rewarded more than consistently turning out good album after good album decade after decade. That's not sexy enough.

Any number of criteria (objective and subjective) should have them in already as has been mentioned thousands of times.

Overall album sales, number of gold albums, the fact that they can sell out big arenas in their fourth decade as a group, (every time out, not as a "comeback tour"), their status as the "World's biggest cult band" (I would bet there are numerous "small" cult bands already in the hall), praise and cited influence from fellow musicians. I could go on, but it gets tiring.

I get that they've never really been what one would call innovators, but really how many true innovators are there? We can probably count the number on one hand.