Clockwork Angels Redeems Rush Even Further

rushgoober

After a nearly flawless run from 1974-1987, there was the mediocre Presto and not so hot RTB.

Counterparts was a HUGE comeback album.

Then there was the seriously lackluster TFE, followed by VT, which was not only Rush's sole truly awful album, but one that is (IMO) a true embarrassment to their legacy, and not just because of the obvious sonic problems, although that certainly didn't help.

Thankfully, they turned it around AGAIN with another comeback album in S&A.

I was truly afraid the pattern would repeat: 2 sub-par Rush albums, 1 comeback album, then 2 more sub-par Rush albums, 1 comeback album... and yet CA broke the mold, with an album that's probably better than S&A AND Counterparts. It's probably (not quite ready to fully commit yet) their best album since HYF!

So anyway, with S&A, and now especially with CA, it's a HUGE step forward in redeeming Rush after VT, and while that wound will never truly heal, the scar is becoming less and less noticeable.

Have at it!

popcorn.gif

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S&A is a Comback album huh ? That is some funny shit laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 08:11 AM)

No, that would be Vapor Trails that is the funny shit. 653.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 07:11 AM)

Yeah and I feel that way about the lazy song writing on this album, and we go around and around. Some people actually like S&A.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 08:17 AM)

Yeah and I feel that way about the lazy song writing on this album, and we go around and around. Some people actually like S&A.

That would be because it IS a great album, filled with diverse sounding and very melodic songs, and it is mixed extremely well. And it has three instrumentals!

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 05:17 AM)

Yes, and they're called "Rush fans." tongue.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 18 2012, 05:14 AM)
You're such an instigator at times goobs. But I won't play your reindeer games pokey.gif . I'm glad you dig the new album.  trink38.gif

Call out the instigator

Because there's something in the air

We've got to get together sooner or later

Because the revolution's here

And you know it's right

And you know that it's right

We have got to get it together

We have got to get it together now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8zmkzshUvE

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 07:17 AM)

Lazy ? You talk out of your ass way to much

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 18 2012, 07:13 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 08:11 AM)

No, that would be Vapor Trails that is the funny shit. 653.gif

Not close to a great album but not the Folk/syrup shitfest that is S&A biggrin.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 07:30 AM)

A bunch of really dull choruses in damn near every song? Yeah that would be lazy song writing. But keep jacking off to very average Rush and pretend its as good as the best albums, while trashing albums other people like. Noone cares.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 18 2012, 05:11 AM)

Yes, and while it's far from perfect, it's 100 times better than the album that preceded it.

As Willy Wonka would say..."Strike that, reverse it."

Well, you're not going to get too many arguments from me.

As you know, I am a huge fan of S&A and I love CA. Both outstanding albums, and IMO, two that they should be very proud of considering they were both written from their mid-50's and forward. Amazing.

Ironically, I'm listening to VT today. I certainly don't hate it, or even really dislike it (outside of the sound quality), but it does still rank at the bottom for me in terms of albums. Just hasn't aged all that well IMO.

But what do I know? I actually really like TFE as well.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 18 2012, 08:53 AM)
Well, you're not going to get too many arguments from me.

As you know, I am a huge fan of S&A and I love CA. Both outstanding albums, and IMO, two that they should be very proud of considering they were both written from their mid-50's and forward. Amazing.

Ironically, I'm listening to VT today. I certainly don't hate it, or even really dislike it (outside of the sound quality), but it does still rank at the bottom for me in terms of albums. Just hasn't aged all that well IMO.

But what do I know? I actually really like TFE as well.

goodpost.gif

VT is not entirely awful to me. Most songs stand alone pretty well. Listen start to finish is almost impossible for me to enjoy. It is the mix and some of the lacking melodies. VT sounds very forced to me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 09:40 PM)

A bunch of really dull choruses in damn near every song? Yeah that would be lazy song writing. But keep jacking off to very average Rush

So does that mean you jack off to only the best Rush like Moving Pictures, PeW, and Hemispheres? pokey.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 07:22 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 05:17 AM)

Yes, and they're called "Rush fans." tongue.gif

Yeah...some people....wonder who? Rush fans? Oh, them! tongue.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 18 2012, 07:56 AM)

A bunch of really dull choruses in damn near every song? Yeah that would be lazy song writing. But keep jacking off to very average Rush

So does that mean you jack off to only the best Rush like Moving Pictures, PeW, and Hemispheres? pokey.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 07:13 AM)

Yes, and while it's far from perfect, it's 100 times better than the album that preceded it.

no it is not no.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 18 2012, 07:01 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 07:13 AM)

no it is not no.gif

Sure it is.

100 times 0 is still 0.

Jack off? Yes. I still listen to everything else though, but they dont give me that 'rush'. Im not going to say this album is great just because they're old and at the end of their careers.

Sure its better than nothing, but Permanent Waves is great. I cant use that same word for this album, most of which I find really dull because Geddy has no idea how to break away from this crap song writing style he started getting into around T4E I guess.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 10:04 PM)

Jack off? Yes. I still listen to everything else though, but they dont give me that 'rush'. Im not going to say this album is great just because they're old and at the end of their careers.

Sure its better than nothing, but Permanent Waves is great. I cant use that same word for this album, most of which I find really dull because Geddy has no idea how to break away from this crap song writing style he started getting into around T4E I guess.

Well, I'm not going to say it's great just because they're geezers either. I'll say it's great if I think it's great. And, honestly, I'm still thinking if it IS great or just good. At the moment, it's 'good' at the very least. But I'll give it several more listens before I decide to jack off to it or not. If I do, I'll let you know asap. Then, you can tell me how deluded I am for simply liking an album.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 18 2012, 07:40 AM)

A bunch of really dull choruses in damn near every song? Yeah that would be lazy song writing. But keep jacking off to very average Rush and pretend its as good as the best albums, while trashing albums other people like. Noone cares.

Never said it was MP or anything like that. So no, no jerking off for me twit . Let me ask you this prince charming , you always say the mods here suck , the board is a joke, so why do you still come here ? Why ? Then you get all pissy when somebody calls you a Troll . Don't like it ? Go and take the know it all attitude with you, it's played to death bro

yes.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober)
Have at it!

Everything you said is entirely your subjective opinion, of course. In mine, VT wasn't nearly the travesty you make it, and S&A not nearly the welcome "comeback" you say. We can agree CA is awesome, but for me it isn't a second great album in a row, it's a first after the dull S&A. There's my opinion.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 18 2012, 09:20 AM)

yes.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober)
Have at it!

Everything you said is entirely your subjective opinion, of course. In mine, VT wasn't nearly the travesty you make it, and S&A not nearly the welcome "comeback" you say. We can agree CA is awesome, but for me it isn't a second great album in a row, it's a first after the dull S&A. There's my opinion.

Yep, and it's wrong...but hey... biggrin.gif