In my defense

rushgoober

Ok, it is with some embarrassment that I am actually thoroughly enjoying Caravan & BU2B now. I didn't until very recently.

Two years ago my thoughts on the songs were this:

Caravan - great introduction, great instrumental breakdown, but I found the lyrics uninspiring, especially in the aftermath of the much more universal and inspiring lyrics of Far Cry. The lyrics just weren't connecting with me.

BU2B - Basically I thought it was Faithless part 2 - another annoying, seething, preachy song on those who have faith.

For two years everyone said these are part of a concept album, and wait until you hear them in context before passing judgment. Now that I actually have heard them IN CONTEXT, they do make perfect sense in the concept. Caravan wasn't necessarily meant to be inspiring, but filled with youthful hope. BU2B's Watchmaker is much more of an amorphously definied character than seeming to have the more religious/spiritual connotation it seemed to.

IN MY DEFENSE, Rush probably didn't handle this very well. I highly doubt they intended to have these songs released a full two years prior to the album. Really, I felt like I had absolutely no choice but to take the songs at face value. I knew they were part of a concept, but what was I supposed to do, not take the songs at face value and enjoy the songs in the context of a concept without the concept? It was hard to enjoy them the way they were intended to be if I had no clue what that intention was, so I did the only thing that made sense, I took them literally, and in that regards, I didn't like what I heard.

Anyway, I admit I was wrong, and I'm grateful I was. Like I've said many times, I never want to NOT like or love a Rush song - it is always with sadness when I don't.

And oh yeah, the improved mixes of the songs didn't hurt any. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2012, 09:55 PM)
Ok, it is with some embarrassment that I am actually thoroughly enjoying Caravan & BU2B now. I didn't until very recently.

Caravan - great introduction, great instrumental breakdown, but I found the lyrics uninspiring, especially in the aftermath of the much more universal and inspiring lyrics of Far Cry. The lyrics just weren't connecting with me.

BU2B - Basically I thought it was Faithless part 2 - another annoying, seething, preachy song on those who have faith.

For two years everyone said these are part of a concept album, and wait until you hear them in context before passing judgment. Now that I actually have heard them IN CONTEXT, they do make perfect sense in the concept. Caravan wasn't necessarily meant to be inspiring, but filled with youthful hope. BU2B's Watchmaker is much more of an amorphously definied character than seeming to have the more religious/spiritual connotation it seemed to.

IN MY DEFENSE, Rush probably didn't handle this very well. I highly doubt they intended to have these songs released a full two years prior to the album. Really, I felt like I had absolutely no choice but to take the songs at face value. I knew they were part of a concept, but what was I supposed to do, not take the songs at face value and enjoy the songs in the context of a concept without the concept? It was hard to enjoy them the way they were intended to be if I had no clue what that intention was, so I did the only thing that made sense, I took them literally, and in that regards, I didn't like what I heard.

Anyway, I admit I was wrong, and I'm grateful I was. Like I've said many times, I never want to NOT like or love a Rush song - it is always with sadness when I don't.

You pay too much attention to lyrics. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2012, 11:55 PM)

Have you performed a manic medieval dance while listening to these songs though? unsure.gif Capering about your living room like some twisted prog hippy jester, shaking your marotte and ringing the little bells in your three pointed hat? THIS is the acid test, literally!

joker.gif

cool10.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 16 2012, 10:52 PM)
Ok, it is with some embarrassment that I am actually thoroughly enjoying Caravan & BU2B now.  I didn't until very recently.

Caravan - great introduction, great instrumental breakdown, but I found the lyrics uninspiring, especially in the aftermath of the much more universal and inspiring lyrics of Far Cry.  The lyrics just weren't connecting with me.

For two years everyone said these are part of a concept album, and wait until you hear them in context before passing judgment.  Now that I actually have heard them IN CONTEXT, they do make perfect sense in the concept.  Caravan wasn't necessarily meant to be inspiring, but filled with youthful hope.  BU2B's Watchmaker is much more of an amorphously definied character than seeming to have the more religious/spiritual connotation it seemed to.

IN MY DEFENSE, Rush probably didn't handle this very well.  I highly doubt they intended to have these songs released a full two years prior to the album.  Really, I felt like I had absolutely no choice but to take the songs at face value.  I knew they were part of a concept, but what was I supposed to do, not take the songs at face value and enjoy the songs in the context of a concept without the concept?  It was hard to enjoy them the way they were intended to be if I had no clue what that intention was, so I did the only thing that made sense, I took them literally, and in that regards, I didn't like what I heard.

Anyway, I admit I was wrong, and I'm grateful I was.  Like I've said many times, I never want to NOT like or love a Rush song - it is always with sadness when I don't. 

Have you performed a manic medieval dance while listening to these songs though? unsure.gif Capering about your living room like some twisted prog hippy jester, shaking your marotte and ringing the little bells in your three pointed hat? THIS is the acid test, literally!

joker.gif

cool10.gif

um... no.gif

unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 16 2012, 11:28 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 16 2012, 11:06 PM)
I just shat bricks.

Did you just say.....that you LIKE BU2B?

HELL HAS FROZEN OVER

THE PLANETS HAVE ALLIGNED

PIGS CAN FLY.

No one saw that coming less than I. no.gif

Gary!

You can't fool me!! I know you too well.

I knew you would fall for "Caravan" and "BU2B."

Even I was an asshole at first and thought the new record was lame after one listening.

Now I am in love with it all.

I am sure you are really digging the new album as a whole.

Shit I bet even Gemini Rising loves "Clockwork Angels."

There is hope for all and to all a goodnight.

All is well and balanced in Rushland.

Well who knows what tomorrow will bring.............................................

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

trink39.gif goodpost.gif

Two years ago: I thought BU2B was good and Caravan was very good, especially the instrumental breakdown (the "Primus jam").

Two minutes into BU2B, on my first listen to the full album, I thought "I'm going to love this album!" Based, at that point, on only hearing a song I already knew (Caravan) and two minutes of another I already knew (BU2B)!

Something about putting them within the full "concept album" context elevated these songs for me. And yes, the new mixes and new intro for BU2B helped.

When the 2 singles first came out way back when, I liked Caravan much better than BU2B.

But with the new album mixes and BU2B's new intro (which I think enhances the song, unlike what others think on this board) makes it an even better song, one more enjoyable than Caravan.

I always liked BU2B better than Caravan, and still do. It's a better constructed song and rocks out better, especially after the break when they repeat the chorus.. those drum fills between the sung lines are edge of the seat frenetic!

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 17 2012, 08:41 AM)
I always liked BU2B better than Caravan, and still do. It's a better constructed song and rocks out better, especially after the break when they repeat the chorus.. those drum fills between the sung lines are edge of the seat frenetic!

yes.gif

yeah i'm not into the music and the lyrics but even though like you mentioned, " BU2B's Watchmaker is much more of an amorphously definied character than seeming to have the more religious/spiritual connotation it seemed to.", i still think it's neil continuing with another faithless even while telling a story. geddy even said that they wanted the songs to be able to stand alone and all you have to do is remember the faithless, bu2b combination on the last tour. not a big deal as i don't care for the music on both.

Way back then, we argued ( OK, we had fever pitched debates) about Caravan & BU2B and Far Cry being Instant classics. I'm glad I finally won that debate. tongue.gif

Anyway, no need to eat your words, I change my mind about songs all the time. Some songs take time for them to grow on me (The Necromancer), others, steadily grow away from me (Neurotica) even though I liked them when they came out. these are the ones that leave me thinking "What the hell was I thinking?". I think its safe to say, the most people here highly value you opinion, I know I do. It also safe to say, that most people her know thay lyrics are a very important element to the music for you, unlike people like me which are more driven by the music and composition. Regardless, the point I'm trying to say and have failed by now, is that it's all very understandable and I'm glad you are enjoying Caravan and BU2B and CA as a whole.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 17 2012, 05:41 AM)

One thing I really am loving is that kind of dark, growly sound at the very end of the guitar riff, right before a lot of the vocal lines start. I can't really describe it well, obviously, but it's this almost evil sound that I equate with death metal or something. In other contexts I would hate it, but here it sounds REALLY cool... and dark. I like how intense and angry and urgent the song is, but only because it's balanced by some melody in the singing and playing.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 17 2012, 06:50 AM)
Way back then, we argued ( OK, we had fever pitched debates) about Caravan & BU2B and Far Cry being Instant classics. I'm glad I finally won that debate. tongue.gif

Anyway, no need to eat your words, I change my mind about songs all the time. Some songs take time for them to grow on me (The Necromancer), others, steadily grow away from me (Neurotica) even though I liked them when they came out. these are the ones that leave me thinking "What the hell was I thinking?". I think its safe to say, the most people here highly value you opinion, I know I do. It also safe to say, that most people her know thay lyrics are a very important element to the music for you, unlike people like me which are more driven by the music and composition. Regardless, the point I'm trying to say and have failed by now, is that it's all very understandable and I'm glad you are enjoying Caravan and BU2B and CA as a whole.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Whether or not those two songs are instant classics or not, I find it too early to tell, unlike songs like Clockwork Angels and The Garden, which have instant classic written all over them. Caravan and BU2B seem like great songs, however, and will likely grow on me even more. Far Cry is DEFINITELY a classic for me - that song is amazing, and it never had a concept it needed to fit into to make sense to me.

As I've said before, with other groups the lyrics are not as important, but with Rush, the songs start with the lyrics. This is only because their lyrics are so significant and meaningful that they've set up a really high and mostly consistent standard with them. When their lyrics don't hold up (ex. Dog Years), it immediately drags a song down for me in a way that no instrumental virtuosity (ex. The Necromancer) can fix.

If a Rush song fails lyrically for me, it fails. Thankfully the only place I'm detecting that as a major issue on CA is with BU2B2 - that one is a downer and to me seems completely unnecessary in the concept.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 17 2012, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 17 2012, 06:50 AM)
Way back then, we argued ( OK, we had fever pitched debates) about Caravan & BU2B and Far Cry being Instant classics. I'm glad I finally won that debate.  tongue.gif

Anyway, no need to eat your words, I change my mind about songs all the time. Some songs take time for them to grow on me (The Necromancer), others, steadily grow away from me (Neurotica) even though I liked them when they came out. these are the ones that leave me thinking "What the hell was I thinking?".  I think its safe to say, the most people here highly value you opinion, I know I do. It also safe to say, that most people her know thay lyrics are a very important element to the music for you, unlike people like me which are more driven by the music and composition. Regardless, the point I'm trying to say and have failed by now, is that it's all very understandable and I'm glad you are enjoying Caravan and BU2B and CA as a whole.

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Whether or not those two songs are instant classics or not, I find it too early to tell, unlike songs like Clockwork Angels and The Garden, which have instant classic written all over them. Caravan and BU2B seem like great songs, however, and will likely grow on me even more. Far Cry is DEFINITELY a classic for me - that song is amazing, and it never had a concept it needed to fit into to make sense to me.

As I've said before, with other groups the lyrics are not as important, but with Rush, the songs start with the lyrics. This is only because their lyrics are so significant and meaningful that they've set up a really high and mostly consistent standard with them. When their lyrics don't hold up (ex. Dog Years), it immediately drags a song down for me in a way that no instrumental virtuosity (ex. The Necromancer) can fix.

If a Rush song fails lyrically for me, it fails. Thankfully the only place I'm detecting that as a major issue on CA is with BU2B2 - that one is a downer and to me seems completely unnecessary in the concept.

I think when you figure BU2B2 in with his timline personally, it fits. that was a major blow to him semi late in life