Headlong Flight

the masked drummer

I really like this track they have been playing on the radio. Anyone notice the main riff along with the drumbeat and fills are almost identical to Bastille Day's main riff? In fact, the splash cymbal fills, some are exactly what Neil played on atwas. Is this on purpose? Anyone disagree?

Typo

Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 15 2012, 10:12 AM)
I really like this track they have been playing on the radio. Anyone notice the main riff along with the drumbeat and fills are almost identical to Bastille Day's main riff? In fact, the splash cymbal fills, some are exactly what Neil played on atwas. Is this on purpose? Anyone disagree?

Typo

I believe it was intentionally. I thought I heard Ged mention there is a nod to Bastille Day.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 15 2012, 10:16 AM)
I really like this track they have been playing on the radio.  Anyone notice the main riff along with the drumbeat and fills are almost identical to Bastille Day's main riff?  In fact, the splash cymbal fills, some are exactly what Neil played on atwas.  Is this on purpose? Anyone disagree?

Typo

I believe it was intentionally. I thought I heard Ged mention there is a nod to Bastille Day.

Yep...I've seen a few interviews now where Ged seems to acknowledge this fact.

I like Bastille Day. I like Headlong Flight.

It's a win-win in my book. 1022.gif

There are a few other topics mentioning this as well, and yes, it's a nod to Bastille Day. I also noticed that the title track on CA has bits and pieces of 2112 riffs. Have you noticed that as well?

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 15 2012, 09:12 AM)

Typo

Yeah, when the single of "Headlong Flight" was released - actually, when first the CLIP of "Headlong Flight" was released - there were a lot of people comparing it to "Bastille Day."

It's really just that opening part, which mirrors part of the opening to "Bastille Day."

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 15 2012, 09:16 AM)
I really like this track they have been playing on the radio.  Anyone notice the main riff along with the drumbeat and fills are almost identical to Bastille Day's main riff?  In fact, the splash cymbal fills, some are exactly what Neil played on atwas.  Is this on purpose? Anyone disagree?

Typo

It's so obvious. Yes. That's pretty cool, actually. I have not bought the single. I am waiting for a cd release. Dang, ain't the u.s. release coming very soon? I like their sound and am super happy to hear their fresh stuff on rock stations!

When HF was released a few months ago on the web, I knew I liked it, but honestly didn't listen closely enough to pick up the structure (just gave it one or two listens).

The other night when I was playing the CD for the 1st time, when HF started I stopped with wide eyes and thought "Whoa, when did Bastille Day get on the album?!" and then when I realized it was HF was surprised I hadn't noticed it before.

All of this in a good way, of course. 1022.gif

Edited by zappafrank

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 15 2012, 12:39 PM)
facepalm.gif Obviously, I'm SLIPPING at my old age!!
Headin' to Best Buy on my way home! yahoo!!

laugh.gif

I was hoping you were joking!

Either way...yes, get on that. Go get it...and report back with your thoughts on the album.

It rocks...believe us all.

yes.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 15 2012, 10:21 AM)
There are a few other topics mentioning this as well, and yes, it's a nod to Bastille Day. I also noticed that the title track on CA has bits and pieces of 2112 riffs. Have you noticed that as well?

Totally heard them! In particular, The Grand Finale, which can also be heard on Double Agent.

There is also a nod to Hemispheres from Neil in the lyrics. He says "fire" in both songs.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 15 2012, 09:12 AM)

Typo

Yes, one of them said in an interview it was a happy accident. They heard it, knew there was a hint of Bastille and decided to run with it as way to make a connection to an earlier time.

I don't think you can rip yourself off.

If you created it and you own it, you can make as many variations as you please.

How many bedrooms did Van Gogh paint? He had to get it just right.