Sound Issues? Try this...

launchpad67a

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tst4echo @ Jun 14 2012, 01:19 PM)
Thank you for your insight and post.  trink38.gif

Can someone please tell me, with the storied problems with post-production in the past, how something like this is put out, by so-called "professionals"?

I DON'T GET IT! ????

You're welcome.

There's really nothing wrong with the sound on the cd. It's not a matter of "how could this happen". It's more of a taste preference. To my ears they just missed the high-end a little in the mastering process, and maybe didn't cut enough sub lows. But it's all Fine! Sounds fine like it is.

It's a loud rock record. This is how they sound.

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ Jun 14 2012, 03:05 PM)
Cheers for the info. sound is clearer.. vocals + drums pop out and its not so muddy. The settings on the heavier songs sounds great..c.a. in particular sounds really amazing. Would you keep the same settings for the whole album...lighter songs the garden etc? Thanks.

No, I don't think those settings would be best for the entire record. Although they would work, each song should have it's own settings.

Also, I feel the first 2 songs don't need any adjustment.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 14 2012, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (BigBob @ Jun 14 2012, 10:12 AM)
Still can't hear "the pedlar II" wacko.gif

maybe it's a problem with your equipment. what do you lack?

tongue.gif

Only Goob. tongue.gif

Not sure if my link works, but I think this can show how heavy the bass is. First try at re-EQ'ing.

Link to Carnies

You will hear it repeated against the original. Re-EQ first, then normal, then re-EQ , then normal.

Here's what I think of the self-proclaimed "expert" audiophiles who think they know better than RUSH and their studio team.

http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif

@Launchpad, I've tried your EQ setup and it sounded fantastic through Mixcraft, which is what I used to modify the parameters; however, once I had it mixed down and played it through WMP I noticed that I still get that "brick wall" effect from the original compression and I lost most of the clarity. Do you think that's the playback program (WMP) or is it just the nature of the beast?

QUOTE (ShowgunSam @ Jun 14 2012, 07:26 PM)
@Launchpad, I've tried your EQ setup and it sounded fantastic through Mixcraft, which is what I used to modify the parameters; however, once I had it mixed down and played it through WMP I noticed that I still get that "brick wall" effect from the original compression and I lost most of the clarity. Do you think that's the playback program (WMP) or is it just the nature of the beast?

There is something wrong in your mixdown chain. Make sure you have reduced the master outputs to whatever I said in the first post. Make sure you "render" the new file through the entire master bus. I rendered a 320kbps mp3 file and it plays perfectly in WMP.

Check all your save-as settings and make sure its just a clean path to disc.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Jun 14 2012, 08:57 PM)
I may try it.

I've found that the album sounds better or worse depending on the location.... in my den with headphones is good. In my car, it sounds awful.

my car speakers are not fans of those taurus pedals.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 14 2012, 09:55 AM)
While I'm very happy with the overall sound and mix of CA, it's isn't without a few minor issues. First, let me say that the "mix" is there, meaning everything is audible and the levels are mostly fine. After deciding the mix was there, I realized some of the instruments weren't coming through as well as they should be. Hmmm, what could cause this? Being an audio and mastering engineer I was able to determine fairly quickly the cause. It's an slight EQ issue, especially in the top end, and the amount of low end on the recording was getting in the way of the clarity.
So I dumped a song into my mastering program just to see what was going on. Sure enough, the recording lacked some highs (just some specifically), and the low end (sub lows only) were a bit much, causing the highs to get lost. So it just lacked a bit of clarity in the top end, which is a direct result of the low end, and is easily fixed.

If you have audio editing software, Try This: (I used "The Anarchist" for my tests - .wav file)
Multiband EQ:
-5.0dB cut from 50Hz - 20Hz
-2.5dB @ 140Hz (Q=50)
+2.1dB @ 4400Hz (Q=50)
+2.2dB @ 6450Hz (Q=50)
+1.9dB @ 13350Hz - 20000Hz
Multiband Compressor:
-1.7dB cut from 46Hz - 20Hz
-0.7dB cut from 500Hz - 707Hz
Master Output:
-0.40dB Left and Right

With these settings the (sub) low end gets tamed down and the high end is pushed slightly, only at specific frequencies. Subtle changes, but fairly effective. Plus, the average overall volume (RMS) is reduced from -8.5dB to -10dB, making it not quite so loud.
This seems to give the mix a bit more clarity, to my ears. Try it out, or listen below.

Don't have audio editing software? Listen to the result: The Anarchist - Remaster (320kbps Mp3 file)

*since everyone here has the album, I don't have a problem posting this file. Don't abuse it.

You more than anyone here should know you shouldn't have to remaster a freshly mastered recording! You should just put it on and it should sound good. We know that compression impacts frequency.

I would be interested in the dynamic range as well.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 14 2012, 09:17 PM)
Here's what I think of the self-proclaimed "expert" audiophiles who think they know better than RUSH and their studio team.

Here's what i think of the above poster that keeps stating the exact same "you don't know better than Rush" line on EVERY thread lately:

*fart noise

To the OP: I appreciate your tweaking of the song, it sounded tighter and had less unnecessary bass drowning out certain sections of the song, but it seems like it was just as effective for me to play with the EQ settings on any of my sound systems. Still, good effort bekloppt.gif

Edited by That One Guy

Holy jeebus, this sounds great. As someone that had a lot of issues with the bass (especially the Taurus pedals) on my set up, this sounds a lot nicer with my subwoofer. Original release was just way too harsh in the bass (drove my ears nuts).

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 14 2012, 06:17 PM)

Yeah okay buddy. Because Rush are gods who not capable of making mistakes - ever.

laugh.gif

And don't come back with that crap excuse "they are professionals who have been doing this for 30+ years" - so what. Plenty of long time bands have given into the poor industry practices of the last 15 years.

I respect your opinion that you have no issue with the sound of this album. Why can't you respect that others have an opinion this album has some sound issues? hug2.gif

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

Its funny, when I ripped the tracks fer my podcast, I boosted the highs a smidge too...

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 14 2012, 08:52 PM)
Not sure if my link works, but I think this can show how heavy the bass is. First try at re-EQ'ing.

Link to Carnies

You will hear it repeated against the original. Re-EQ first, then normal, then re-EQ , then normal.

Hopefully this link works better...

Carnies re-EQ

Up for 7 days...

Edited by Gompers