Live "surprises" for CA tour?

CrimsonE

QUOTE (Brava Doh! @ Jun 15 2012, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 14 2012, 10:33 PM)
I'm glad we got two from Counterparts last tour, but I wanna hear "CTTC" or "Animate"!!!

As much as I love Animate on the CP album, it does not translate nearly as well to me live. The tempo seems slower.

I've been advocating CTTC as one they should break out for years, and I'm very surprised they haven't in the last couple of tours given how the heavyness of that song would seem to go along with the heavier writing style that they have employed in the last few years. And yet, nothing...I think they either have completely forgotten about it or just don't like the song for whatever reason.

Anyhow lets hope it gets on the setlist this time out.

It's on almost every Rush fan's wishlist that I've talked to lately. It just rocks so hard! 1022.gif

Losing It

The Enemy Within

The Weapon

Jacob's Ladder

The Twighlight Zone

A Farewell to Kings

Open Secrets

Any of Hemispheres

There, that should cover it!

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 15 2012, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (aaronrusso @ Jun 15 2012, 12:08 AM)
probably wishful thinking, but afterimage would be amazing, probably wouldnt be played because of the emotional impact of the song but maybe theyd dedicate it to andrew mcnaughton

too depressing a song for concert.

They could play Afterimage and The Garden back to back and pass out nooses and razor blades before the show ph34r.gif

I also think it would be nifty for them to revisit the Fear trilogy, much like they did on the GUP tour. I also wouldn't mind seeing them end it with Freeze, although that's one of the weaker songs from VT.

Actually, I wish they could have played more from VT because that was a pretty solid album. If memory serves, they only ended up doing 5 of the 13 tracks live:

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Ghost Rider/Ceiling Unlimited

While Secret Touch is one of their stronger songs, I wish they had brought in others such as Peaceable Kingdom, Out of the Cradle, and Nocture.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 15 2012, 10:31 AM)
probably wishful thinking, but afterimage would be amazing, probably wouldnt be played because of the emotional impact of the song but maybe theyd dedicate it to andrew mcnaughton

They could play Afterimage and The Garden back to back and pass out nooses and razor blades before the show ph34r.gif

They played it on the GuP tour though...I personally would like to see it live as well yes.gif

Would the mournful lyrical content really matter at a show though? It's a fast-paced rocker, not a melancholic dirge.

Afterimage fantastic guitar solo in that, brilliant song, that would be great.

Also like to see a few rarities, namely Losing It, Manhattan Project, Xanadau, Hemispheres Prelude, Open Secrets, Show don't tell.

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 14 2012, 11:05 AM)
Four words.

Cut. To. The. Chase.

!!!

Yes, this! Middletown would be great too.

Jacob's Ladder

Analog Kid

The Weapon

Losing It (only if string quatret)

The Enemy Within

Manhattan Project

Middletown Dreams

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

Turn The Page

Show Don't Tell

Where's My Thing

Cut to the Chase

Double Agent

Cold Fire

Test For Echo

Vapor Trail

I think these are the most possible surprises we may hear. Any of these haven't been played since T4E tour.

Edited by Flying Finn

I'd be happy with this:

Set 1:

Far Cry

Clockwork Angels (Entire)

Set 2:

The Analog Kid

Limelight

Cut to the Chase

Jacobs Ladder

Tears

Losing It

The Weapon

New World Man

Manhattan Project

YYZ- Drum Solo

Alex's Solo - Different Strings

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Freewill

Xanadu (Entire)

2112 Overture-Templs-Finale

Encore:

Subdivisions

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Wish list:

Before And After

By Tor And The Snow Dog

Lakeside Park

Necromancer

Fountain Of Lamneth

Lessons

A Farewell To Kings

Cygnus X-1

Hemispheres

Jacob's Ladder

Losing It

Middletown Dreams

Since I probably have a better chance of being invited to sit in with the band for the encore than many of these being played, my realistic wish list would be this:

A Farewell To Kings (still a real long shot)

Jacob's Ladder

Analog Kid

Losing It

Middletown Dreams

Xanadu

Earthshine

QUOTE (Flying Finn @ Jun 17 2012, 05:22 AM)
You who say Hemispheres Prelude: Do you mean as a instrumental or not? Because no way Geddy can sing that anymore. He struggled with it already in CP tour.

apologies, yes, meant as an instrumental.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jun 17 2012, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 14 2012, 05:47 PM)
BODY ELECTRIC

oh god, PLEASE!!!!! trink39.gif

awesome track.

they've pulled some serious gems in the last 2-3 tours...entre nous, circumstances, etc.

it's time for less snakes and arrows and more 80's rush.

You are all geniuses. Body Electric KILLS me. What an A-Plus lyric. notworthy.gif

As a "younger generation" fan, basically anything I hear them play that's not a "hit" is the only time I'll get to hear it. Was thrilled for "non-obvious" songs at recent shows like Secret Touch and Entre Nous. (Still bummed that I had to miss Time Machine and two of my last-chance favorites, Vital Signs and Presto.) So really as many "deep cuts" as they're willing to play I'll be happy with.

Just not Manhattan Project. 062802puke_prv.gif

Much of the pre Permanent Waves catalogue is obviously beyond Geddy's current vocal capabilities. That's not his fault, it's just a function of age. What I don't understand though is why they don't try some of the older classics in the original key, but with the vocal an octave lower. I think this could suit Geddy's current register and could provide an interesting take on the older songs; surely this would be better than doing the older songs a couple of tones lower (which frankly he still struggles with). That's what I'd like to hear on the next tour - some of the old tunes in the original key with vocals dropped an octave.

QUOTE (restart @ Jun 18 2012, 05:37 PM)
Much of the pre Permanent Waves catalogue is obviously beyond Geddy's current vocal capabilities. That's not his fault, it's just a function of age. What I don't understand though is why they don't try some of the older classics in the original key, but with the vocal an octave lower. I think this could suit Geddy's current register and could provide an interesting take on the older songs; surely this would be better than doing the older songs a couple of tones lower (which frankly he still struggles with). That's what I'd like to hear on the next tour - some of the old tunes in the original key with vocals dropped an octave.

Ooh, I like that idea! I'm not much of a singer but when I'm singing along in the car or jamming recreationally with my brothers, I sing a lot of the old stuff 8vb since that suits my voice (i.e. a normal human male voice) much better.

I really like the vocal quality of Geddy's sub-soprano range as heard in the 90s-00s catalog, so I'd be totally down for this. Good suggestion! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You want a surprise! Imagine they just finish playing TEARS with the string section and Geddy Say" Well here an old friend of ours" and Ben Mink walks out with his Violin and they go straight into:

"Losing It"!

The Stars are aligning!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif