Steven Wilson's Third Solo Album

ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 14 2012, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Jun 14 2012, 02:30 PM)
Well, let him do what he wants then. After listening to Luminol a few times, I'm quite impressed. However, it sounds a bit dated and rough around the edges. Obviously this will be fixed, but the overall impression is good. I think basing the concept of the album around old Victorian ghost stories (which, in my opinion, is a great subject) is pretty interesting. What I'm more concerned about is if this new album is basically going to be Grace for Drowning Part 2? Is it going to be a lengthy double album or will it be a simple 40 to 90 minute collection of songs?

On the topic of Porcupine Tree: I think we need to just let them go their own way for a bit. Obviously Steven is in a major creative mode that focuses on his solo efforts along with Gavin, Richard, and Colin. It's good that they can spend that time away from each other and do their own thing. More than likely it'll be good for the next Porcupine Tree album because we'll hear a good mix of what the guys are doing on their own. It could be good or it could be bad, but we don't know. There's also no point in saying that the plug has been pulled on the band, because we would have known by now if it was over.

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

Let's hope for the best.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 14 2012, 11:49 AM)
Well, let him do what he wants then. After listening to Luminol a few times, I'm quite impressed. However, it sounds a bit dated and rough around the edges. Obviously this will be fixed, but the overall impression is good. I think basing the concept of the album around old Victorian ghost stories (which, in my opinion, is a great subject) is pretty interesting. What I'm more concerned about is if this new album is basically going to be Grace for Drowning Part 2? Is it going to be a lengthy double album or will it be a simple 40 to 90 minute collection of songs?

On the topic of Porcupine Tree: I think we need to just let them go their own way for a bit. Obviously Steven is in a major creative mode that focuses on his solo efforts along with Gavin, Richard, and Colin. It's good that they can spend that time away from each other and do their own thing. More than likely it'll be good for the next Porcupine Tree album because we'll hear a good mix of what the guys are doing on their own. It could be good or it could be bad, but we don't know. There's also no point in saying that the plug has been pulled on the band, because we would have known by now if it was over.

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

Let's hope for the best.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

If Wilson kills Porcupine Tree I will Misery that little SOB.

angry.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 14 2012, 04:03 PM)

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

Let's hope for the best.

angry.gif

They're just a band mate, you'll live with it...

smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 14 2012, 02:17 PM)

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

Let's hope for the best.

angry.gif

smile.gif

But I don't want to.

sad.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 14 2012, 06:01 PM)

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

Let's hope for the best.

angry.gif

smile.gif

But I don't want to.

sad.gif

You'll still have your PT collection...

smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 14 2012, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 14 2012, 06:01 PM)

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

Let's hope for the best.

angry.gif

smile.gif

But I don't want to.

sad.gif

You'll still have your PT collection...

smile.gif

Look at that! What an Optimist!

You are good for something other than silly long winded polls.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jun 14 2012, 07:01 PM)

goodpost.gif

yes.gif

Let's hope for the best.

angry.gif

smile.gif

But I don't want to.

sad.gif

Me neither. I want more awesome PT. Hopefully SW will find his balls again.

Lost the link to Luminol. sad.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 14 2012, 03:58 AM)
The sooner it comes out and he tours it the better the chance we will get some new PT before I'm 70...

AYE!!!

I like his solo stuff. I don't love it.

I want new PT ASAP. They are my absolute favorite band after Rush.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jul 19 2012, 05:16 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 14 2012, 03:58 AM)
The sooner it comes out and he tours it the better the chance we will get some new PT before I'm 70...

AYE!!!

I like his solo stuff. I don't love it.

I want new PT ASAP. They are my absolute favorite band after Rush.

Exactly.

yes.gif

Good for him and anything he puts out will be better than that Fartfest The Incident

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 19 2012, 07:30 AM)
Good for him and anything he puts out will be better than that Fartfest The Incident

What!?!

laugh.gif

I'm with Todem. His solo stuff is fine as far as it goes. But PT stuff is out of this world. And that includes The Incident. Great album, IMHO.

yes.gif

Yep, The Incident was awesome; a little better than Fear of a Blank Planet, about as good as In Absentia, but not quite as good as Deadwing, still their best 00s/Harrison era disc.

But the solo SW stuff has been killer, so I say, bring on more! cool.gif

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Jul 19 2012, 09:34 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 19 2012, 07:30 AM)

What!?!

laugh.gif

I'm with Todem. His solo stuff is fine as far as it goes. But PT stuff is out of this world. And that includes The Incident. Great album, IMHO.

yes.gif

Yeah , i always thought it should have been 1 disk not 2. I don't think it sucked but i was waiting to have my head blown off , did not happen biggrin.gif Grace was Great imo

I've met and talked to Steven Wilson for more than ten times now and he's light-years away from being arrogant. He 's a very friendly "down to earth guy", just in love with what he does. Making good music with putting a lot of passion into it. PT will come back! As some of you like to say: Remember you've heard it here first!

Im reall excited about the new album, i too say "Bring It On"

But I am getting the impression that his solo career is becoming his "main stay" and that Porcupine Tree will become more of a secondary project from here on in.... I dont know what to think about that, Im loving his solo material, but I also dont want to see PT become a group that releases an album only once every 4 to 5 years.... I think the long break between The Incident and now is a good one, The Incident, while good, was far in quality from the previous 3 records..so the long break might help to searve PT creativly when they finally do record a new album, but I hope it wont be another 5 or 6 years after that till the next.

You know, I love PT but have not been able to get into his solo albums. I find them very boring. I have tried several listens. Maybe it is the wrong time of the year.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 19 2012, 02:10 PM)
You know, I love PT but have not been able to get into his solo albums. I find them very boring. I have tried several listens. Maybe it is the wrong time of the year.

I am sort of like you. I have warmed a bit more to it, but I don't see the genius of it.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 19 2012, 11:26 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 19 2012, 02:10 PM)

I am sort of like you. I have warmed a bit more to it, but I don't see the genius of it.

That's where I'm at too.

I have tried to like his solo stuff. I wanted to like his solo stuff. I do like a couple of songs (Harmony Korine for one).

But I just do not get the same experience as I do with Porcupine Tree. I don't know what else to say. I just don't find it as engaging.

first solo album very very good. grace was just ok. not a fan. this 3rd album does sound like it's going to be a turd. loosing interest in his solo stuff. he left blackfield also. their might be hope for another PT album and tour. common001.gif