Interpreting Lyrics

ShlappinDahBass

I've been seeing a lot recently what they've (the fans) been thinking what the lyrics mean to JUST Neil. But even Neil himself has stated that he wants his lyrics to mean something personal to his fans. Even if it branches off the actual story of Clockwork Angels itself. So, it can completely have a different meaning to you!

Wondering what your interpretations were for the lyrics? Especially in songs like BU2B, the Anarchist, the Wreckers, and the Garden.

Neil's lyrics are so diverse and underestimated from other bands. I'm sure there can be some pretty crazy personal theories or meanings to these songs.

Long live 2.gif !! popcorn.gif

Edited by ShlappinDahBass

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 13 2012, 04:37 AM)
I am still absorbing it. On the 2nd listen my view changed. On the 3rd listen, it changed even more. I am still trying to figure it out.

Wowzah! That's crazy. Such a deep album.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 13 2012, 09:02 AM)
i'd like to hear neil comment on each of the songs lyrics and what they mean but i guess he saves that for the tour book.

One can only hope. I'd love to hear his whole theory on the whole background/meaning of the words he's written. Except the Garden....I think Ged wrote that!

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 11 2012, 08:09 AM)
I'm sure there can be some pretty crazy personal theories or meanings to these songs.

Well, yeah. I'm sure Michael Hoffman believes the lyrics, once again, are a strong indication that Neil is advocating the use of LSD and the experience of "ego death."

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (metallithrax @ Jun 13 2012, 01:51 PM)
I must be the odd one out amongst Rush fans, I don't care what the lyrics mean, and don't try to decipher them.

Then again, i'm like that with any music.

No worries, trust me you are not the odd one out. I actually rarely see as many people paying attention to the lyrics rather than the instrumental aspect.

Edited by ShlappinDahBass

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 01:03 PM)
"A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage"

I'm having a tough time grasping this line. I love the line...and the song. But I'm not sure I fully understand what Neil is saying here.

Any thoughts??

Wow, that's crazy. I'm listening to the Anarchist right now! I read your quote along with the Geddy singing the lyric. That literally just tripped me out. lol...

Any who...Maybe it has to do with a religious aspect. Per say, you are not choosing a path/attitude that your "watchmaker" intended you to take/use. And I know Neil isn't really a religious man, but maybe he's poking fun or experimenting with it?

To me, that means that the individual is looking for something to fulfill himself, but he is frustrated and doesn't know exactly what that is or where to find it - therefore the search.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 14 2012, 02:14 PM)

To me, that means that the individual is looking for something to fulfill himself, but he is frustrated and doesn't know exactly what that is or where to find it - therefore the search.

And because he's searching, he's also hindering himself.

Edited by GeddyRulz

trink39.gif

Yes! Now you're talking!

But how does that fit into your story of Country Life vs. City Life?

laugh.gif

Or he's being trapped/constrained by something he lacks, e.g., happiness, love, empathy. He is trapped by the fact that he is, essentially a sociopath. He can't see other options in his life, the way the protagonist can; the Anarchist is one who is "turned bitter by the poison of envy/ Always angry and dissatisfied," "with a devil inside," and "without a measure of mercy."

While Neil may have said in his interview that the Anarchist is a counterpoint to the Watchmaker (and I can see the freedom-run-amuck and control-run-amuck contrast), the protagonist has to represent balance (hello, Cygnus!) by choosing/modeling a healthy freedom that seeks peace with others. Or perhaps Neil would call that "bleeding-heart libertarianism."

This is all great stuff, guys, and it dovetails with what I was thinking, too.

trink39.gif

He's a tortured character, imprisoned by his thoughts and feelings about what he lacks, what he's been "denied," that others have.

When you look outward for that "missing part" and it becomes ALL-ENCOMPASING, it has basically "caged" you.

You want something so badly that the search/drive for it becomes your entire life.

Thats what I think...

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Jun 14 2012, 03:45 PM)
When you look outward for that "missing part" and it becomes ALL-ENCOMPASING, it has basically "caged" you.

You want something so badly that the search/drive for it becomes your entire life.

Thats what I think...

Kind of like the plot in Moby Dick. I haven't read the story, but didn't the captain become obssessed in looking for the whale?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 14 2012, 02:57 PM)

Thats what I think...

Kind of like the plot in Moby Dick. I haven't read the story, but didn't the captain become obssessed in looking for the whale?

Yes, Ahab's all-encompassing obsession for revenge against Moby Dick was central to the novel.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 14 2012, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 14 2012, 02:57 PM)

Thats what I think...

Yes, Ahab's all-encompassing obsession for revenge against Moby Dick was central to the novel.

And a good book, too. By the way, Ged. Where did you get the video from you're using for your avatar? It's hilarious.