Touched by Wreckers

quantex

QUOTE (quantex @ Jun 4 2012, 05:31 PM)
I must say, for some reason I am touched by The Wreckers. I cried.
Anyone else.

Because for the first time in a long time, I guess since HYF, he actually used normal melodic vocal melodies in the chorus.

Something a LOT of other bands do, especially bands like U2 and Coldplay, but Rush has avoided those types of appealing melodies for so long for some reason.

QUOTE (quantex @ Jun 4 2012, 05:36 PM)
yeah,,,I love the lyrics....touching like The Pass. So true that we are sometimes the target.

Well personally I think The Pass is a far more touching song, although no Rush song ever made me cry. They just dont bring that out of me for some reason.

I guess sometimes when they have lines like "sometimes the truth is contrary", yeah that doesnt really pull at my heart strings.

But, "no hero in your tragedy, no daring in your escape, dont turn your back and slam the door on me, etc..", is far more touching and emotional to me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 05:33 PM)
I must say, for some reason I am touched by The Wreckers.  I cried.
Anyone else.

Because for the first time in a long time, I guess since HYF, he actually used normal melodic vocal melodies in the chorus.

Something a LOT of other bands do, especially bands like U2 and Coldplay, but Rush has avoided those types of appealing melodies for so long for some reason.

Good point, Trenken. I noticed that too.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 05:37 PM)
QUOTE (quantex @ Jun 4 2012, 05:36 PM)
yeah,,,I love the lyrics....touching like The Pass.  So true that we are sometimes the target.

Well personally I think The Pass is a far more touching song, although no Rush song ever made me cry. They just dont bring that out of me for some reason.

The Garden comes close for me as far as lachrymal leakage.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 05:33 PM)
Anyone else.

Not to go off topic, but I'm curious Trenken, in your opinion, do you think there are other melodic vocal moments on the album besides The Wreckers that you were surprised to hear?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 4 2012, 06:20 PM)
i'm still not sure about this one.  i like the start of it with the clean guitar and nice flow but once the chorus hits it sounds too generic to me, vocally that is.

Im a big sucker for what you refer to as generic melodies. There's a reason why so many bands have had success with accessible melodies like that. Bands like U2 and Coldplay build amazing careers around melodies like that, and I like those bands.

Bottom line is there is a shit ton of people that are into just good old fashioned nice melodies, and some like yourself that I guess would prefer to hear something unconventional.

Edited by trenken

So from what I've gathered, the hero's ship washes up on an island to a cheering crowd, he has no idea why, they take all his shit, and he's heartbroken that the world he thought was all rainbows and flowers could be so cruel?

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Jun 4 2012, 06:42 PM)
The Garden hit me for sure. From the piano on? Tears..

That's what I posted earlier. The last couple minutes of that song are as good as anything Rush has done. Stellar conclusion to a great record. If this is Rush's last record they can be proud of it for sure. wink.gif

I understand what you mean about getting emotional during the chorus. Geddy's melodies are some of the best he's ever put on record. It's not generic, it's beautiful and haunting and sad simply because the "hero" is finding out that humanity can really suck.

Anyone else.

Because it's Perfect! I haven't felt so strongly about a RUSH song since Losing It!

This song is so beautifly pieced together! And it just builds and Builds! I'm sorry but this song would not be the same without the Strings!

wub.gif 2.gif wub.gif 2.gif wub.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 06:38 PM)
I guess sometimes when they have lines like "sometimes the truth is contrary", yeah that doesnt really pull at my heart strings.

But, "no hero in your tragedy, no daring in your escape, dont turn your back and slam the door on me, etc..", is far more touching and emotional to me.

+1

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 4 2012, 05:38 PM)
I guess sometimes when they have lines like "sometimes the truth is contrary",

the whole wary contrary thing sounds like geddy got stuck with some lyrics he didn't know how to handle. it's just a chorus that doesn't sit well with me right now.

QUOTE (quantex @ Jun 4 2012, 06:31 PM)
I must say, for some reason I am touched by The Wreckers. I cried.
Anyone else.

Yeah, it had an unexpectedly strong emotional effect on me. I don't exactly know why, but perhaps the melancholy melody mixed with the sober lyrics along with the possibility that this could be (we've said this about all their recent studio records) their final album.

It is still somewhat inexplicable the strong pull this song has. I'm glad its a good Rush song at least! blush4.gif