Tai Shan

rugen

let me put this diplomatically....Tai Shan isn't awful either lyrically or musically....it's just not the style of music that a talented rock band like Rush should've been making.

I'll say what lots of others have said on here for years....HYF would be so much better if the last two songs on it didn't exist.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 5 2012, 07:25 PM)
let me put this diplomatically....Tai Shan isn't awful either lyrically or musically....it's just not the style of music that a talented rock band like Rush should've been making.

I'll say what lots of others have said on here for years....HYF would be so much better if the last two songs on it didn't exist.

I used to agree with that- I will say that "High Water" has grown on me quite a bit over the years. . .

Edited by Kelly D

After watching the interview, I can see where Ged & Alex would get that idea from.

The whole HyF album was an interesting album. I'm glad they have pulled a song from it for the last buncha tours; Time Stand Still, Mission, Force Ten. For me some of those songs were the highlights of the shows I saw, okay mostly Mission... But I always get a big kick when they pull out some cool random stuff that isn't too mainstream.

I'm biased though, there's no 'bad' Rush song for me, nothing.... XD

I like Tai Shan. I also feel that Geddy and Alex did do the lyrics justice. The song is very atmospheric - the keyboards and guitar sound similar to Chinese instruments, the percussion fits. It's a good overall song package.

I respectfully disagree with the gentleman from Willowdale. yes.gif wink.gif

I love High Water, too tongue.gif

QUOTE (jnoble @ Jun 5 2012, 06:25 PM)

Indeed! 1287.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 5 2012, 05:32 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 4 2012, 09:40 PM)
I've always said that I'm really glad that China sang to Neil.  I just wish he had kept that to himself. tongue.gif

http://www.rocklopedia.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/chinakantner_med.jpg

I didn't realize she COULD sing.

Now her mother on the other hand..... ohmy.gif

yes.gif

Had the distinct pleasure of seeing Grace once. God what a singer. One of my top 5 all-time female vocalists for sure.

At first I hated it, but over time I think its better than High Water because of Alex's riffs and their "Asian" sound. As stated before, you need to be in the mood but the fact that they can even write this song is pretty awesome cool10.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 7 2012, 04:47 PM)
Hold Your Fire also happens to be one of Alex and Geddy's least favorite albums along with Caress of Steel.

In fact, Hold Your Fire almost broke the band up. May not be a lot of fond memories for the boys with that album!

Makes sense.

I still like HYF, but it was a HUGE step backwards after the brilliant run of Hemispheres thru Power Windows.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 7 2012, 06:47 PM)
In fact, Hold Your Fire almost broke the band up. May not be a lot of fond memories for the boys with that album!

I've never heard that about HYF before, I thought that was P/G confused13.gif

Alex was fed up with the direction of the band and his continued lack of presence. He also said when they toured that album it was in the back of his head it could be their last, or at the very least there would be a long hiatus as they were burned out. It happened to be the end of their contract with Atlantic too. I don't think it was emphasized in the documentary but I do remember reading that was a dicey time for the band and Alex wanted to leave at one point

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 7 2012, 09:46 PM)
Alex was fed up with the direction of the band and his continued lack of presence. He also said when they toured that album it was in the back of his head it could be their last, or at the very least there would be a long hiatus as they were burned out. It happened to be the end of their contract with Atlantic too. I don't think it was emphasized in the documentary but I do remember reading that was a dicey time for the band and Alex wanted to leave at one point

If those guys broke up from that point on...Oh my goodness... fists crying.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 7 2012, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 7 2012, 09:46 PM)

If those guys broke up from that point on...Oh my goodness... fists crying.gif

I wouldnt be a fan then most likely...thankfully we got CA a masterpiece

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 7 2012, 05:55 PM)

That's what it says in Contents Under Pressure. Also, Geddy's remark re: HYF was "This one is a real dark horse." Nothing from any of them about them disliking it or that it caused any problems. Power Windows, OTOH, did piss Alex off a bit.....

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 9 2012, 05:56 AM)

That's what it says in Contents Under Pressure. Also, Geddy's remark re: HYF was "This one is a real dark horse." Nothing from any of them about them disliking it or that it caused any problems. Power Windows, OTOH, did piss Alex off a bit.....

Understandably! Even in BTLS he still seems a bit miffed. Poor baby sad.gif hug2.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 9 2012, 11:26 AM)

Understandably! Even in BTLS he still seems a bit miffed. Poor baby sad.gif hug2.gif

That's weird! Alex really shines on Power Windows. It's one of my favorite guitar albums. Seriously. I think there is a nice balance between guitar and synth. Maybe not on Manhattan Project....

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 9 2012, 11:20 PM)

That's weird! Alex really shines on Power Windows. It's one of my favorite guitar albums. Seriously. I think there is a nice balance between guitar and synth. Maybe not on Manhattan Project....

I agree! Having to think about his guitar parts differently, though it made him a bit angry, brought out all sorts of interesting things. Very inventive arpeggios and chord structures.... just outside the box stuff. Brilliant! yes.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 10 2012, 06:26 AM)

I agree! Having to think about his guitar parts differently, though it made him a bit angry, brought out all sorts of interesting things. Very inventive arpeggios and chord structures.... just outside the box stuff. Brilliant! yes.gif

Power Windows should have been the last synth heavy album. I think they had achieved what they wanted to with that one....then they do Hold Your Fire which is IMO the least flattering album for Lifeson's playing because it's way too drowned out by synths. I haven't read Contents Under Pressure, but trust me, HYF was the one that put Alex over the edge

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 10 2012, 03:56 PM)

Power Windows should have been the last synth heavy album. I think they had achieved what they wanted to with that one....then they do Hold Your Fire which is IMO the least flattering album for Lifeson's playing because it's way too drowned out by synths. I haven't read Contents Under Pressure, but trust me, HYF was the one that put Alex over the edge

HYF is my fave of the keyboard era outside of Signals. If not for the last two tracks, it might be my favorite - amazing and wonderful album. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 06:54 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 10 2012, 03:56 PM)

HYF is my fave of the keyboard era outside of Signals. If not for the last two tracks, it might be my favorite - amazing and wonderful album. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Take away Tai Shan and it'd be a perfect album in my eyes cool.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 10 2012, 07:54 PM)

Agreed! Alas but for those last two songs!

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 10 2012, 02:20 AM)

wtf.gif

No idea what his thought process was. Hey, Al, ya shoulda been more assertive! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 5 2012, 11:04 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 5 2012, 08:07 AM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 5 2012, 05:48 AM)
QUOTE (RUDT @ Jun 4 2012, 03:24 PM)
Geddy said in a interview that one of Alex and him least favorite song is Tai Shan. Not very kind for the one who wrote that song : Neil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBZY_loemUw

"Tai Shan" is up on the list of my least favorite Rush songs, quite like "Rivendell" or "Dog Years." But there is a time and place for everything and I listened to "Tai Shan" yesterday and didn't gag once! tongue.gif

Did you gag twice? confused13.gif

laugh.gif

Surprisingly no! I kept my stomach contents firmly in my gut.

Miracles DO happen!

You don't have to puke to gag...

wink.gif