It's not Rush, it's You

Astroboy2112

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 2 2012, 08:32 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 2 2012, 10:14 AM)
I understand where OP is coming from though. In any fan base, there is going to be sections of fans that disagree with what is good or bad. And there always seems to be that tension, where some fans think the other fans are being delusional fan bois for either liking or disliking something.

But that really happens with both groups. I say people should just shuttttttup and like or dislike whatever they want, and don't accuse other people of feeling one way or the other because of x reason. One thing I absolutely hate is when others try to explain or tell you how you are feeling.

Right on, these blowhards should keep there idiotic opinions to themselves, enjoy the new album, and put a sock in it trink39.gif

I think you're completely missing Mr. Henry Gale's excellent points (unless you're just joking around). Is an opinion idiotic simply because you don't agree with it?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 2 2012, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 2 2012, 08:32 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jun 2 2012, 10:14 AM)
I understand where OP is coming from though. In any fan base, there is going to be sections of fans that disagree with what is good or bad. And there always seems to be that tension, where some fans think the other fans are being delusional fan bois for either liking or disliking something.

But that really happens with both groups. I say people should just shuttttttup and like or dislike whatever they want, and don't accuse other people of feeling one way or the other because of x reason. One thing I absolutely hate is when others try to explain or tell you how you are feeling.

Right on, these blowhards should keep there idiotic opinions to themselves, enjoy the new album, and put a sock in it trink39.gif

I think you're completely missing Mr. Henry Gale's excellent points (unless you're just joking around). Is an opinion idiotic simply because you don't agree with it?

Well thats the thing. It's easy for me to just go and say someone is a fanboy or has horrible taste if they say they like HF but I would never do that. They can love it if they want and it's just as fair for me to say I dont love it and give reasons for it without attacking anyone.

Thats why the word fanboy gets thrown around because there are plenty of people on this site who will remain nameless that wont tolerate opinions that differ from theirs. It's a 2 way street. If you dont like someone opinion, dont reply to them. Simple as that.

Ive seen people say this is Rush at their best. Obviously in my head I personally think thats an absolute joke, but I just dont respond to them. Message boards are places for people to discuss and share opinions and there's too many overly sensitive people here.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 2 2012, 10:56 AM)
I just want to get one thing straight about the "fanboi" stuff:
We spend our time posting on an internet forum dedicated to Rush, therefore we are ALL fanbois!

tongue.gif 1287.gif

Lol true. Its just a nasty word used to describe people who for example would defend everything a band does, or movie director, or game developer, anything. I guess it's for people that have tunnel vision and get very hostile about their own opinions and attack those that dont like the same things they do, but yeah we're all fanboys in a way if we're here posting constantly. That's a given.

I dont appreciate blind worshippers nor haters. I dislike either extreme. If you dont like new Rush at all and cant salvage ANYTHING positive to say, fine, say it and move on. If you like every single thing that Rush creates, let it be known if you wish, but then move on. Let's stop the labeling and judgements.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 2 2012, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 2 2012, 10:56 AM)
I just want to get one thing straight about the "fanboi" stuff:
We spend our time posting on an internet forum dedicated to Rush, therefore we are ALL fanbois!

tongue.gif    1287.gif

Lol true. Its just a nasty word used to describe people who for example would defend everything a band does, or movie director, or game developer, anything. I guess it's for people that have tunnel vision and get very hostile about their own opinions and attack those that dont like the same things they do, but yeah we're all fanboys in a way if we're here posting constantly. That's a given.

Yep.

Some of us embrace it and some of us are embarressed by it, but we are all fanbois. Every single one of us.

Like poilitical parties, there are simply extremes on both sides. Some fans actually take Rush criticism to heart -I definately used to. I realize now how foolish that is.

Other fans simply get off on the responses they get by stirring up trouble on messageboards. It's like a hobby. A really sad hobby.

I'll say this, it's rather liberating when you no longer care about such nonsense. Most of us here are simply opinionated music lovers who share a common love of Rush and can discuss their music without insulting or goading each other into rediculous "opinion" battles.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Jun 2 2012, 03:27 AM)
The only thing that annoys me sometimes is the constant whining about Neil's lyrics. "He's to negative, he can't stop bashing faith"

Those lyrics ARE annoying. He talks about it so much its as if he's trying to convince himself that it's true. Hopefully Rush is done with this topic after this album, as it's been beaten to death.

I liked it better when he wrote about hobbits, necromancers, black holes and space travel. laugh.gif

That said, I am totally looking forward to this album! smile.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 2 2012, 12:34 PM)
The only thing that annoys me sometimes is the constant whining about Neil's lyrics. "He's to negative, he can't stop bashing faith"

Those lyrics ARE annoying. He talks about it so much its as if he's trying to convince himself that it's true. Hopefully Rush is done with this topic after this album, as it's been beaten to death.

I liked it better when he wrote about hobbits, necromancers, black holes and space travel. laugh.gif

I think we should all hold off and wait until we hear the album in it's entirety before assuming the entire CA story is about bashing faith. It might be, but it might not. That really goes for both the yayers and nayers.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 2 2012, 12:34 PM)

Hopefully Rush is done with this topic after this album, as it's been beaten to death.

after this album? we thought he was done with it after the last album. wacko.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 2 2012, 11:34 AM)

Didn't we already have a thread about this? There's no more than a dozen songs out of more than a 150 that even remotely touch on the topic of religion, and less than half that are overtly about religion.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 2 2012, 01:15 PM)

Didn't we already have a thread about this? There's no more than a dozen songs out of more than a 150 that even remotely touch on the topic of religion, and less than half that are overtly about religion.

face it dude, he picked up the richard dawkins books again. guess he's having a hard time leaving the subject and keeps drawing from the well.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 2 2012, 11:14 AM)
I dont appreciate blind worshippers nor haters.

Right On trink39.gif I have been a fan since 1980 and i missed only 1 tour since the M.P. tour . I only dislike/hate/wanna puke 3 albums . Does that make me less of a fan ? It does not , but some yoyo's around here think it does . So the next time some idiot tells you , "Your not a real fan" because you don't like Dog Years, tell them to Fu*k Off :

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 2 2012, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 2 2012, 01:15 PM)

face it dude, he picked up the richard dawkins books again. guess he's having a hard time leaving the subject and keeps drawing from the well.

The numbers don't lie.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 2 2012, 08:47 AM)
Not liking a new Rush song or album may or may not have to do with being stuck in the past, expecting them to sound as they once did or not leaving room for them to grow, but usually it boils down to a completely subjective take on whether an individual likes an album or song or not.

To say if you don't like new Rush you're stuck in the past or aren't leaving room for them to grow is very judgmental, and it sounds like someone not being willing to accept that some old time fans simply don't like newer Rush as much as older Rush. That's as valid a point of view as anyone else's.

It's no one's fault. You can't say the band are still objectively as great as they ever were and it's your fault if you don't see it that way because there simply is no objectivity in what is always going to be a completely subjective opinion.

For example, I don't like most of Presto or Roll the Bones, but I love Counterparts. Does that mean I'm stuck in the past with those first two, unable to leave room for them to grow and it's MY fault I don't like them, but then because I love CP (which really sounds like nothing that came before it), I somehow am redeemed and now I'm not stuck in the past and I did the right thing by leaving room for them to grow?

Similarly, I REALLY don't like T4E or VT, but I think S&A is a very good, often great album. How does that fit into your breakdown?

For me it's NOT about being stuck in the past. It's about whether or not any given song or album does it for me or not. It can sound like Bastille Day or it can sound like the Foo Fighters - all I care about is whether I like it. I loved Signals when it came out, not because it sounded like anything that came before it, but because I simply loved the album.

And like most Rush fans who don't always love newer Rush, I give their songs and albums a LOT of chances, a lot more than I would any other group. If the song or album is great to me, it's great to me and I'm happy. If it's not, it's not for a lack of trying or wanting to like it or because it's somehow my fault. It either appeals to my ear or it doesn't.

I don't like BU2B, but not because it isn't Red Barchetta Pt. 2, it's because I just don't like it. I love Armor & Sword, not because it has anything to do with anything in the past (it doesn't), because I just happen to love it.

Goobs,

He's not talking about you. He's talking about those (mostly brits) who haven't liked the band in decades, who call anyone who likes a tune written after MP as "fanbois."

There is a big difference between being a Rush fan and being allowed to dislike some of their albums and some of their songs, and those individuals that seem to thrive on the negative. Anyone that says everything Rush has put out is awesome is a blind fanboi or just lying themselves.

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about it.

I think we all know these people in real life. Those types of people that seem to relish the negative or gravitate to it and don't seem happy unless something is wrong.

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects, and they seem to be emphasized more.

As I said, these types of people exist everywhere in real life and fan message boards are a perfect spot for those type of people to be able to relish in the negativity.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 2 2012, 03:50 PM)
There is a big difference between being a Rush fan and being allowed to dislike some of their albums and some of their songs, and those individuals that seem to thrive on the negative. Anyone that says everything Rush has put out is awesome is a blind fanboi or just lying themselves.

The problem I have sometimes are those certain people that choose to always EMPHASIZE the negative, or gravitate to subjects about something wrong with Rush or one of the songs on a particular album. Within this forum, there are definitely certain posters that when I see them post something it's a safe bet that more often than not it will touch on something they don't like about Rush, or a song off Snakes and Arrows, or what's wrong with Headlong Flight instead of everything that's right about it.

I think we all know these people in real life. Those types of people that seem to relish the negative or gravitate to it and don't seem happy unless something is wrong.

A lot of threads and posts on forums like this get a lot more attention when they're negative so we see a certain group that will always seem to gravitate to those subjects, and they seem to be emphasized more.

As I said, these types of people exist everywhere in real life and fan message boards are a perfect spot for those type of people to be able to relish in the negativity.

goodpost.gif

This was posted at rushisaband this morning:

Posted 6/3/12 @8:48AM by Chris42wilts [contact]

I am afraid I could hardly tell one track from another, it is the same pounding, thrashing and banging together with a grating vocal which seems to the their thing now in the final stages of their career. Sad there is not even a nod towards those who do not like heavy metal. I do not find this remotely listenable.

Posted 6/3/12 @9:01AM by flimbo [contact]

I agree totally with Chris #5. Rush gave us 15 awesome albums in the first half of their career. But sadly in the last half of their career and last 20 years they have produced 3 shit albums and a potential 4th shit album due in a week. Get off your fan boy high horses. Just because it's still the RUSH brand doesn't mean it's good. Geddy hasn't sang a decent melody since 1993.

This is the type of fan that im talking about. I made this thread to maybe get one of these guys to read and make them realize that it's really hard to like modern Rush when you dont listen to anything modern because guess what? They sound like a modern band! Im sure that if Headlong Flight wouldve been on Moving Pictures with an 80's mix, they would be complaining about how Rush doesnt write songs like Headlong Flight anymore.

Again, its the lack of familiarity with how contemporary rock sounds that doesn't allow these guys to make an accurate assessment of Rush's music because they are listening to contemporary music with an 80's ear. I remember i played Rush music to my friends trough high school and they always hated it. They couldn't see anything worthwhile in it, but when i was a senior in high school in 1996, Test for Echo came out and i played it to them and guess what? They all loved it! It had that modern sound that they were all into and all of sudden they were humming "its my turn to drive" in the mornings. Same thing happens with these people, it's not the music cuz it's obvious the signature Rush musicianship& songwriting on the CA songs we have heard its there it's the modern sound that they cant comprehend and cant make sense of because they are not familiar with it that clouds their judgement of Rush modern music.

Yes, not all modern Rush is good and quite possibly not all of CA will be good, but seriously if you cant find absolutely anything remotely good& positive in Caravan, Bu2b, Headlong Flight and the clips when so many fans clearly like them then maybe you should consider that maybe ur ear is a little outdated and maybe its not Rush making shit music after all. C'mon listen to something new out there, get familiar with what a modern rock record sounds like and then comeback and listen to CA and im sure it will make more sense. That's all im saying.

Edited by Astroboy2112

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 2 2012, 05:33 PM)
Joined the board to take a couple swings or what?

Tis the season wink.gif

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Jun 3 2012, 11:49 AM)

I am afraid I could hardly tell one track from another, it is the same pounding, thrashing and banging together with a grating vocal which seems to the their thing now in the final stages of their career. Sad there is not even a nod towards those who do not like heavy metal. I do not find this remotely listenable.

I agree totally with Chris #5. Rush gave us 15 awesome albums in the first half of their career. But sadly in the last half of their career and last 20 years they have produced 3 shit albums and a potential 4th shit album due in a week. Get off your fan boy high horses. Just because it's still the RUSH brand doesn't mean it's good. Geddy hasn't sang a decent melody since 1993.

This is the type of fan that im talking about. I made this thread to maybe get one of these guys to read and make them realize that it's really hard to like modern Rush when you dont listen to anything modern because guess what? They sound like a modern band! Im sure that if Headlong Flight wouldve been on Moving Pictures with an 80's mix, they would be complaining about how Rush doesnt write songs like Headlong Flight anymore.

Again, its the lack of familiarity with how contemporary rock sounds that doesn't allow these guys to make an accurate assessment of Rush's music because they are listening to contemporary music with an 80's ear. I remember i played Rush music to my friends trough high school and they always hated it. They couldn't see anything worthwhile in it, but when i was a senior in high school in 1996, Test for Echo came out and i played it to them and guess what? They all loved it! It had that modern sound that they were all into and all of sudden they were humming "its my turn to drive" in the mornings. Same thing happens with these people, it's not the music cuz it's obvious the signature Rush musicianship& songwriting on the CA songs we have heard its there it's the modern sound that they cant comprehend and cant make sense of because they are not familiar with it that clouds their judgement of Rush modern music and not Rush making "shit" music.

HF sounds modern to you? That chorus sounds extremely dated to me, and sounds like something that would not be out of place on a Beatles album. That is NOT what rock bands are doing these days.

Even some of the young great prog bands out there, none of them are writing anything that sounds like that. Rush sounds like an old band with very old influences when I hear that chorus.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 3 2012, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Jun 3 2012, 11:49 AM)

Again, its the lack of familiarity with how contemporary rock sounds  that doesn't allow these guys to make an accurate assessment of Rush's music because they are listening to contemporary music with an 80's ear. I remember i played Rush music to my friends trough high school and they always hated it. They couldn't see anything worthwhile in it, but when i was a senior in high school in 1996, Test for Echo came out and i played it to them and guess what? They all loved it! It had that modern sound that they were all into and all of sudden they were humming "its my turn to drive" in the mornings. Same thing happens with these people, it's not the music cuz it's obvious the signature Rush musicianship& songwriting on the CA songs we have heard its there it's the modern sound that they cant comprehend and cant make sense of because they are not familiar with it that clouds their judgement of Rush modern music and not Rush making "shit" music.

HF sounds modern to you? That chorus sounds extremely dated to me, and sounds like something that would not be out of place on a Beatles album. That is NOT what rock bands are doing these days.

Even some of the young great prog bands out there, none of them are writing anything that sounds like that. Rush sounds like an old band with very old influences when I hear that chorus.

leave the beatles out of this! 1287.gif