KANSAS...the band

launchpad67a

My hubby picked this up at Wal-Mart for about six bucks...and I like the track selection MUCH better than the "Best of Kansas" CD that first got me really into them...

http://deepdiscount-content.vcommerce.com/products/fullsize/814/43444814.jpg

Track listing:

1. Can I Tell You

2. Song For America

3. Icarus (Born on Wings of Steel)

4. The Pinnacle

5. Carry on Wayward Son

6. What's on My Mind

7. Miracles Out of Nowhere

8. Point of No Return

9. Portrait (He Knew)

10. Dust in the Wind

11. People of the South Wind

12. Hold On

The track listing on the "Best of Kansas" cd has some stuff I can definitely live without ("Fight Fire With Fire" and "Play The Game Tonight" anyone?) and this CD has some songs that I really love, like "Miracles Out Of Nowhere," "Portrait," "Icarus," and "People Of The South Wind."

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G.G. those are great song's but you should get the album's. i see them really cheap sometimes , 8 or 9 buck's . 1022.gif

Just got the first one recently and really love the lead off track, Can I Tell You. As well as their monsterpice, Death of Mother Nature Suite. These two tracks are just as important as anything off of Leftoverture or Point of No Return, the other two Kansas albums I have.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 30 2008, 09:51 AM)
G.G. those are great song's but you should get the album's. i see them really cheap sometimes , 8 or 9 buck's . 1022.gif

I do have the albums. cool.gif This little CD is great for when my son's in the car with me, and wants to hear Kansas. smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 30 2008, 10:46 AM)
My hubby picked this up at Wal-Mart for about six bucks...and I like the track selection MUCH better than the "Best of Kansas" CD that first got me really into them...

Track listing:
1.      Can I Tell You   
2.      Song For America   
3.      Icarus (Born on Wings of Steel)   
4.      The Pinnacle
5.      Carry on Wayward Son   
6.      What's on My Mind   
7.      Miracles Out of Nowhere   
8.      Point of No Return   
9.      Portrait (He Knew)   
10.    Dust in the Wind   
11.    People of the South Wind   
12.    Hold On

The track listing on the "Best of Kansas" cd has some stuff I can definitely live without ("Fight Fire With Fire" and "Play The Game Tonight" anyone?) and this CD has some songs that I really love, like "Miracles Out Of Nowhere," "Portrait," "Icarus," and "People Of The South Wind."

The Best of Kansas CD features a couple of songs from the John Elefante era, Steve Walsh's replacement. Not coincidentally, those are the two songs you don't like.

There are two albums with Elefante, Vinyl Confessions (what a shitty album title) and Drastic Measures (ditto). VC has a few decent tracks...mainly the ones written by Livgren that have his heavy guitar riffs all over them. DM is terrible, and I honestly don't consider it a real Kansas album. It's the album where Elefante tried to make Kansas his band, and turn them into Journey. I bought the LP when it first came out, but never bought the CD, and don't plan to.

That best-of CD you just got is all from the classic lineup, and the track listing IS better. cool.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 30 2008, 09:33 AM)

Track listing:
1.      Can I Tell You   
2.      Song For America   
4.      The Pinnacle
10.    Dust in the Wind   
12.    Hold On

The Best of Kansas CD features a couple of songs from the John Elefante era, Steve Walsh's replacement. Not coincidentally, those are the two songs you don't like.

There are two albums with Elefante, Vinyl Confessions (what a shitty album title) and Drastic Measures (ditto). VC has a few decent tracks...mainly the ones written by Livgren that have his heavy guitar riffs all over them. DM is terrible, and I honestly don't consider it a real Kansas album. It's the album where Elefante tried to make Kansas his band, and turn them into Journey. I bought the LP when it first came out, but never bought the CD, and don't plan to.

That best-of CD you just got is all from the classic lineup, and the track listing IS better. cool.gif

was Walsh on Audio Visions?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 30 2008, 12:38 PM)

Track listing:
1.      Can I Tell You   
2.      Song For America   
4.      The Pinnacle
10.    Dust in the Wind   
12.    Hold On

Yes he was. That was the last album with the six original members. That album is a mixed bag, IMO. Some really good stuff ("No One Together") and some really weak stuff ("Hold On" 062802puke_prv.gif ).

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 30 2008, 11:38 AM)

Track listing:
1.      Can I Tell You   
2.      Song For America   
4.      The Pinnacle
10.    Dust in the Wind   
12.    Hold On

i saw that tour, un f-n real 1022.gif

wub.gif 1022.gif wub.gif 1022.gif wub.gif

I'm only sayyyin' whats on my miiiiind!!!!

Now I havta hear some Kansas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mmmmmmmm, Steves voice!!!!

I'd like to hear the 80's album Vinyl Confession in its entirety. I don't know how good the album is, but one of the singles 'Windows' is just as tight and progressive as their 70's stuff. This album also had a succesful single with 'Play The Game'....Which recording has the tune Fight Fire With Fire?

QUOTE (moltenlava @ Jul 30 2008, 02:54 PM)
I'd like to hear the 80's album Vinyl Confession in its entirety.  I don't know how good the album is, but one of the singles 'Windows' is just as tight and progressive as their 70's stuff.  This album also had a succesful single with 'Play The Game'....Which recording has the tune Fight Fire With Fire?

"Fight Fire" is on Drastic Measures. It's the second album with Elefante, and the first without violinist/vocalist Robbie Steinhardt. The combination of those two factors gives the album a very un-Kansas-like feel (IMO).

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 30 2008, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (moltenlava @ Jul 30 2008, 02:54 PM)
I'd like to hear the 80's album Vinyl Confession in its entirety.  I don't know how good the album is, but one of the singles 'Windows' is just as tight and progressive as their 70's stuff.  This album also had a succesful single with 'Play The Game'....Which recording has the tune Fight Fire With Fire?

"Fight Fire" is on Drastic Measures. It's the second album with Elefante, and the first without violinist/vocalist Robbie Steinhardt. The combination of those two factors gives the album a very un-Kansas-like feel (IMO).

What is Vinyl Confessions, the one directly before it? That one track 'Windows' is very Kansas-like. Virtually indistinguishable from their 70's ouput. How is the album as a whole?

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 30 2008, 09:46 AM)

Track listing:
1.      Can I Tell You   
2.      Song For America   
4.      The Pinnacle
10.    Dust in the Wind   
12.    Hold On

GhostGirl, do you have Always Never the Same? If you like symphonic or classical music at all you should check it out. cool.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 9 2005, 08:28 PM)
Quite possibly the most underrated prog band from the '70s to mid-'80s. Most people know them from "Carry On Wayward Son" and "Dust In The Wind," but Kansas (on mainly their first five studio albums) belongs in the same category as Genesis and Yes for orchestral-sounding prog-rock. Kerry Livgren, who wrote most of their "deep, pondering" tunes, was equally adept at both lead guitar and keyboards, which when combined with Steve Walsh's searing organ playing and Richard Williams' "meatwall" heavy guitar, made the band sound both like a hard rock band and an art-rock prog band. Steve Walsh had an instantly recognizable voice, and he could sing his ass off. Having a full-time violinist in Robby Steinhardt also helped define their unique sound. In any one song they could go from a loud twin-guitar/organ attack to a soft piano/violin duet. Kansas was very diverse.

Growing up I was into Led Zep, Deep Purple, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Boston, and the whole southern rock thing. Then I heard Kansas' Leftoverture album, featuring a 6:41 instrumental (with a small vocal section thrown in) named "Magnum Opus." It featured tricky time changes and insane playing. I'd never heard anything like it, and that album introduced me to prog rock. A couple of years later Rush's Permanent Waves came out, and I haven't listened to Ted Nugent since. biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

Yes... ...I've seen Kansas several times myself and each time was a rock-solid performance (no pun intended). To any new prog fans on board: if you like vintage prog, you'll probably get off on Kansas -especially the 'Leftoverture' and 'Point Of Know Return' LPs. Good Stuff, Kansas is.

O&BTW: As I recall, Kerry sported a white kimono himself once upon a tour...

It's True wink.gif

III.

I'm still reading Landscapes by Kevin J. Anderson, and in one introduction to a story he writes: " 'Sea Wind' was inspired by the album and eponymous song 'Point of Know Return' (must have been a typo) by Kansas, one of my favorite progressive rock bands." I read that, then I thought of all the Kansas fans on this board, and then i thought well what have I really heard of Kansas except the few monster radio hits. Not much when I thought about it. So I clicked on this thread and read 1001's post Maestro quoted. It really sounds like I need to pick something up, like that 'the very best of kansas' cd. I'm making a mental note.

I can officially say that Kansas has moved into my "very favorite bands" group...Rush, Yes, Floyd, U2 (up to Pop) and now Kansas.

Steve's voice used to be sublime. The harmonies, the violin, the whole combination...wonderful.

Thanks to 1001 and others for pestering me into giving this band a chance. wink.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 31 2008, 06:42 PM)
I'm still reading Landscapes by Kevin J. Anderson, and in one introduction to a story he writes: " 'Sea Wind' was inspired by the album and eponymous song 'Point of Know Return' (must have been a typo) by Kansas, one of my favorite progressive rock bands." I read that, then I thought of all the Kansas fans on this board, and then i thought well what have I really heard of Kansas except the few monster radio hits. Not much when I thought about it. So I clicked on this thread and read 1001's post Maestro quoted. It really sounds like I need to pick something up, like that 'the very best of kansas' cd. I'm making a mental note.

My post was for those who were not familiar with the band, or maybe only knew the monster radio hits. Glad you found it useful. cool.gif

Track listing:
1. Can I Tell You
2. Song For America
3. Icarus (Born on Wings of Steel)
4. The Pinnacle
5. Carry on Wayward Son
6. What's on My Mind
7. Miracles Out of Nowhere
8. Point of No Return
9. Portrait (He Knew)
10. Dust in the Wind
11. People of the South Wind
12. Hold On

I actually LOVE Play THe Game. Fight Fire With Fire is a good song as well.

The worst thing that ever happened was Jon Elefante coming in. He tried to change the band.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 1 2008, 12:33 PM)

Track listing:
1.      Can I Tell You   
2.      Song For America   
4.      The Pinnacle
10.    Dust in the Wind   
12.    Hold On

The worst thing that ever happened was Jon Elefante coming in. He tried to change the band.

Hmmm....

Well, Elefante WROTE "Fight Fire with Fire" ....

confused13.gif

Personally I can't stand either one of those songs - they are totally un-Kansas-ish. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 1 2008, 02:24 PM)

Track listing:
1.      Can I Tell You   
2.      Song For America   
4.      The Pinnacle
10.    Dust in the Wind   
12.    Hold On

Hmmm....

confused13.gif

Personally I can't stand either one of those songs - they are totally un-Kansas-ish. 062802puke_prv.gif

Indeed. There are a few good songs from the Elefante era, but certainly not those two, IMO.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 1 2008, 02:39 PM)

Track listing:
1.      Can I Tell You   
2.      Song For America   
4.      The Pinnacle
10.    Dust in the Wind   
12.    Hold On

Hmmm....

confused13.gif

Indeed. There are a few good songs from the Elefante era, but certainly not those two, IMO.

Yea and those are my two favorite ones from his era! laugh.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 1 2008, 01:49 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 1 2008, 02:39 PM)

Track listing:
1.      Can I Tell You   
2.      Song For America   
4.      The Pinnacle
10.    Dust in the Wind   
12.    Hold On

Hmmm....

confused13.gif

Yea and those are my two favorite ones from his era! laugh.gif

that is your problem and you will have to deal with it biggrin.gif trink39.gif