Zombie in Miami?

treeduck

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 29 2012, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 29 2012, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 29 2012, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 29 2012, 11:05 AM)
Just hope that you're not on the receiving end of some "heroic" cop with an itchy trigger-finger some day. Because you're completely justifying the "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality. You seem to want to celebrate it.

And the guy they killed wasn't a zombie. It was a human being. Not an innocent, of course, but still a human being. People need to stop acting like this is something out of a video game.

The only thing I'm celebrating is a job well done by the officer, based on the facts we know. Guy eating another human.. guy is shot but does not stop, so more gun shots end the attempted murder in progress. If some guy wacked out of his brain on whatever tried to eat you alive, I would hope the police would do the same for you.

And, not to belabor my point, but one point I forgot to bring up is.. this criminal also appears to be a cannibal (or at least on that day). The officer(s) were at risk of being bitten or worse.. chunks of their flesh ripped out by the maniac. Not worth the risk to the officers. In this case, it is shoot first ask questions later. In this case, I agree with the deadly force. In this case.

So now the officers (plural, remember, there were several) are scared not of being beat up, but of being bitten? That doesn't negate my overall point. Deadly force should not have been the first method used in this situation. How about a couple of these brave cops walk up to the guy and smack him in the head a few times with their batons? Maybe try that first?

Think of all the diseases cannibal guy could have been carrying. This isn't your five year old brother biting you through a sweatshirt.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 31 2012, 12:26 AM)
Just hope that you're not on the receiving end of some "heroic" cop with an itchy trigger-finger some day. Because you're completely justifying the "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality. You seem to want to celebrate it.

And the guy they killed wasn't a zombie. It was a human being. Not an innocent, of course, but still a human being. People need to stop acting like this is something out of a video game.

The only thing I'm celebrating is a job well done by the officer, based on the facts we know. Guy eating another human.. guy is shot but does not stop, so more gun shots end the attempted murder in progress. If some guy wacked out of his brain on whatever tried to eat you alive, I would hope the police would do the same for you.

And, not to belabor my point, but one point I forgot to bring up is.. this criminal also appears to be a cannibal (or at least on that day). The officer(s) were at risk of being bitten or worse.. chunks of their flesh ripped out by the maniac. Not worth the risk to the officers. In this case, it is shoot first ask questions later. In this case, I agree with the deadly force. In this case.

So now the officers (plural, remember, there were several) are scared not of being beat up, but of being bitten? That doesn't negate my overall point. Deadly force should not have been the first method used in this situation. How about a couple of these brave cops walk up to the guy and smack him in the head a few times with their batons? Maybe try that first?

Think of all the diseases cannibal guy could have been carrying. This isn't your five year old brother biting you through a sweatshirt.

Infection is the biggest obstacle to his recovery, a human bite carries much more bacteria than say a dog bite and it is more likely to become infected.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 31 2012, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 30 2012, 07:17 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ May 30 2012, 02:58 AM)

laugh.gif c'mon man. They whack him in the head, and he's still chewing on victims face. Then what? Keep whacking till you bash his head in and.. kill the perp. No cop is gonna get within grabbing distance of this zombie guy. His mouth could be considered a deadly weapon, since he's using it to kill the victim. Not worth the risk to police officers. If you're going to be all for the zombie's rights first over the officer's safety (not to mention the victim, who I'm sure needed the perp off him asap), then that's about all from me. Good day, sir trink39.gif

Next time this happens I think police officers should use daniel as a baton. I think beating a flesh eater with daniel would be much more humane than just gunning the ravenous bastard down. tongue.gif

You know what? I'd do that. You give me the same gear the cops carry and I would take that bastard down without firing a shot - and I'm an overweight, out-of-shape ex-smoker.

Excellent! I'll take you up on that offer when the time comes. Since you're overweight it'd take longer for the zombie to eat all of you. And by the time that happens I probably will have already knocked them out with your girth. You'll be a hero! You'll be a bit munched on and mangled but you'll be a hero nonetheless! trink39.gif

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 30 2012, 11:26 PM)

I honestly think people have been watching too much Walking Dead.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 31 2012, 09:33 PM)

I've never seen it. But I'm pretty sure I don't want anyone (zombie or otherwise) biting my face. tongue.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 31 2012, 07:33 AM)

Are you saying the guy's mouth was squeaky clean?

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 31 2012, 11:24 AM)

No, just that if a trained street cop - and there was more than one - can't keep someone from biting him, maybe he shouldn't be on the street.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 31 2012, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 31 2012, 11:24 AM)

No, just that if a trained street cop - and there was more than one - can't keep someone from biting him, maybe he shouldn't be on the street.

laugh.gif it's like you're living in a bubble. Read up on these bath salt and other synthetic drugs out there that turn people into stark raving lunatic machines. One story about a guy freaking out in a hospital on something that required 15 people to get the perp restrained. And you're all, I could have taken that zombie down with mace and a club. You're hilarious.

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 31 2012, 12:24 PM)

Everyone's mouth is a bacteria haven, not just this guy. If YOU bit your girlfriend too hard there's a good chance she'd get infected. Let me give you an expert's view:

"The healthy human mouth is home to a tremendous variety of microbes including viruses, fungi, protozoa and bacteria," said Professor William Wade from King's College London Dental Institute. "The bacteria are the most numerous: there are 100 million in every millilitre of saliva and more than 600 different species in the mouth. Around half of these have yet to be named and we are trying to describe and name the new species."

Scientists studied healthy tissue as well as tumours in the mouth and found three strains of bacteria called Prevotella that could not be identified. Prevotella species are part of the normal microbial flora in humans and are also associated with various oral diseases and infections in other parts of the body. The researchers named the new species Prevotella histicola; histicola means 'inhabitant of tissue'.

"Interestingly, this species was isolated from within the oral tissues, both in oral cancers and normal, healthy tissue," said Professor Wade. "This confirms other work showing that oral bacteria can invade both tissues and individual cells."

Tooth decay and gum disease are the most common bacterial diseases of man and are caused by changes in the microbes normally present in the mouth. To understand these diseases better, scientists first need to know which bacteria are present in human mouths. Understanding the composition of the oral microbiota will also help scientists devise new prevention measures and treatments for oral diseases.

"A detailed description and name for each species of bacteria are needed so that different laboratories can recognise all of the bacterial species present in the mouth," said Professor Wade.

If you want more info try this site:

http://textbookofbacteriology.net/normalflora.html

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 31 2012, 01:56 PM)

Everyone's mouth is a bacteria haven, not just this guy. If YOU bit your girlfriend too hard there's a good chance she'd get infected. Let me give you an expert's view:

"The healthy human mouth is home to a tremendous variety of microbes including viruses, fungi, protozoa and bacteria," said Professor William Wade from King's College London Dental Institute. "The bacteria are the most numerous: there are 100 million in every millilitre of saliva and more than 600 different species in the mouth. Around half of these have yet to be named and we are trying to describe and name the new species."

Scientists studied healthy tissue as well as tumours in the mouth and found three strains of bacteria called Prevotella that could not be identified. Prevotella species are part of the normal microbial flora in humans and are also associated with various oral diseases and infections in other parts of the body. The researchers named the new species Prevotella histicola; histicola means 'inhabitant of tissue'.

"Interestingly, this species was isolated from within the oral tissues, both in oral cancers and normal, healthy tissue," said Professor Wade. "This confirms other work showing that oral bacteria can invade both tissues and individual cells."

Tooth decay and gum disease are the most common bacterial diseases of man and are caused by changes in the microbes normally present in the mouth. To understand these diseases better, scientists first need to know which bacteria are present in human mouths. Understanding the composition of the oral microbiota will also help scientists devise new prevention measures and treatments for oral diseases.

"A detailed description and name for each species of bacteria are needed so that different laboratories can recognise all of the bacterial species present in the mouth," said Professor Wade.

And now that we have this knowledge, I guess you cowboys from earlier in the thread will all say that cops should shoot anyone they feel like from now on? After all, we all have mouths... we all *might* bite a cop... "officer, why did you shoot that man?" "His mouth is full of germs, you never know who might try to bite you."

Edited by danielmclark

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 31 2012, 03:23 PM)

And now that we have this knowledge, I guess you cowboys from earlier in the thread will all say that cops should shoot anyone they feel like from now on? After all, we all have mouths... we all *might* bite a cop... "officer, why did you shoot that man?" "His mouth is full of germs, you never know who might try to bite you."

Now you're just being silly...

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 31 2012, 02:31 PM)

biggrin.gif

Maybe a little. But a few people have suggested that shooting and killing this guy was the right thing to do simply because he might try to bite a cop. That does beg the question... from now on, if a cop thinks someone might try to bite him, does that give him the right to kill him?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 31 2012, 03:35 PM)

biggrin.gif

Maybe a little. But a few people have suggested that shooting and killing this guy was the right thing to do simply because he might try to bite a cop. That does beg the question... from now on, if a cop thinks someone might try to bite him, does that give him the right to kill him?

It was the right thing to do to stop him killing that guy and to save his one eye that was remaining! Another couple of minutes and he would have chewed out his throat!

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 31 2012, 03:35 PM)

biggrin.gif

He was biting the flesh off of another mans face!!! He growled at the cop with chunks hanging from his mouth... He clearly was a threat to the cop and anyone in close proximity.. And he was butt naked..come on man..

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ May 31 2012, 03:32 PM)
If I saw a guy eating another man's face, and that guy came after me, I think I would be pretty sure he would try to bite me too.

It's just common sense.

I'm not suggesting he wouldn't try to bite someone else, I'm suggesting that a trained police officer with his various tools and weapons - and with other cops helping - could *probably* keep Mr. Naked McBiteyPants at bay long enough to subdue him... and if they couldn't, they shouldn't be allowed to walk a beat.

I don't think shooting and killing someone should be a last resort, but I also don't think it should be the FIRST THING YOU TRY.

Yeah TM I saw those stories and there's also these, all of them very recent:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-0...ite-animals-bit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21...ate-affair.html

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Zombie-Al...-156010815.html

Just googling that last story all I typed was "Man throws" and the whole thing popped up...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 31 2012, 04:53 PM)
Yeah TM I saw those stories and there's also these, all of them very recent:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-0...ite-animals-bit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-21...ate-affair.html

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Zombie-Al...-156010815.html

Just googling that last story all I typed was "Man throws" and the whole thing popped up...

Yeah,

Some pretty sick sh** in the world these days. This is just my personal view on it. I think there is just to much glorified violence on TV and video games. Who knows what else triggers these sick fu***?

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 31 2012, 04:23 PM)

I'm reading this thread since we've been talking about these violent outbreaks at work this morning.

I guess you and I disagree on a lot of things, because if police don't shoot and kill a naked man eating a living man's face in broad daylight, who exactly does deserve to be shot?

Imagine being there and dealing with that situation. I can almost not think of any situation where someone is "begging to be shot" as badly as this guy was. Holy cow.

Edited by Godeater2112