Chris Squire - Fish Out of Water

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ May 25 2012, 04:31 PM)
Listening to this for the first time.

My god, it's incredible!

Yes, it is! One of my favorite albums; I'm a big cheerleader for it. Every few years I get completely obsessed with FOoW all over again.

I have a "deluxe edition" of the album. It came with lots of DVD bonus features, including Chris doing a "running commentary" on the album as it plays, like an actor or director does during some movies.

QUOTE (beherit @ May 25 2012, 11:32 PM)
Dude rocks.

If prog solo albums are your thing, try Voyage of the Acolyte by Steve Hackett.

Yes!

Also check out Steve Hackett Spectral Mornings.

I like Fish Out Of Water more than a lot of Yes albums. It is in my top 10 favorite albums of all time. Check out the CD/DVD. Chris does a run-down on every song. A must have!

QUOTE (beherit @ May 25 2012, 11:32 PM)
Dude rocks.

If prog solo albums are your thing, try Voyage of the Acolyte by Steve Hackett.

I'm a huge fan of Voyage of the Acolyte, and a huge fan of Steve Hackett's work with Genesis. Hackett's one of my ten favorite guitarists of all time.

I'm interested in checking out this Squackett album that's coming out soon!

QUOTE (beherit @ May 26 2012, 11:32 AM)
hadn't even heard of it!

Comes out June 4th. It's a collaboration between Hackett and Squire that they recorded years ago but are just now making available. When I went to retrieve the website info I noticed there was a sample audio clip. I'm going to go give it a listen...

Just listened. Sounds cool! Sounds like Kashmir by Zeppelin!

I believe that's Jeremy Stacey on drums. He's played with numerous artists, but I know him through his work with Chris Robinson.

Steve Hackett Website

Edited by Powderfinger

Love Fish Out of Water and I'm going to check out Squackett.

Edit: Found this interview from Squire where he talks about Squackett a bit. It sounds like they may tour Europe and play some of Fish Out of Water live. Though its pretty sad that he said that he thinks every former member of Yes is still alive.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/yes...-talks-20120525

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 26 2012, 01:03 PM)
Love Fish Out of Water and I'm going to check out Squackett.

Edit: Found this interview from Squire where he talks about Squackett a bit. It sounds like they may tour Europe and play some of Fish Out of Water live. Though its pretty sad that he said that he thinks every former member of Yes is still alive.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/yes...-talks-20120525

That is sad. It's my understanding that Squire is fairly self-absorbed.

My god, it's incredible!

Thanks for bringing attention to this! Now I know how I'll spend my summer listening time...

trink39.gif

QUOTE (goose @ May 26 2012, 02:06 PM)

My god, it's incredible!

Thanks for bringing attention to this! Now I know how I'll spend my summer listening time...

trink39.gif

trink39.gif

I can't get over how good it is.

It's like Paul McCartney wrapped around Yes dipped in Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue! If this had Steve Howe and Jon Anderson on it I'd probably like it more than Relayer. Hearing Squire sing lead helps me better recognize and appreciate what he contributes to Yes's vocal mix. And is that him on guitar?

I just got the Squackett single Sea Of Smiles and the "b-side" is the last song on the album called Perfect Love Song. It sounds just about like Genesis meets Yes. The biggest surprise is the vocal. The two tracks are pretty mellow.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ May 28 2012, 07:55 PM)
I just got the Squackett single Sea Of Smiles and the "b-side" is the last song on the album called Perfect Love Song.  It sounds just about like Genesis meets Yes.  The biggest surprise is the vocal.  The two tracks are pretty mellow.

I saw that on iTunes. I didn't know if I should just wait for the album. But Genesis meets Yes sounds enticing 1022.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ May 29 2012, 11:03 AM)

My god, it's incredible!

I MUST check that out!

Please do. It completely caught me off guard. I mean, I assumed it would be good given the team of musicians, but I had no idea it would be so beautiful and masterfully crafted. I got it from iTunes for $4.99, an absolute steal!

After the members of Yes took time off to make solo albums they got back together and went on tour without a new album. The only song they played from any member's solo album was Chris Squire's Hold Out Your Hand. You can find it on Yes bootlegs from 1976. It's pretty cool live.

Thanx to this thread i am now listening to it 1022.gif . I am not a fan of I-tunes but at $5 you can't go wrong

This is one piece of vinyl that I actually wore down and replaced. I listened to this album constantly when I was in high school. One of my favorite records ever. Squire's bass playing and compositional skills were amazing. This album never sounds dated. I'm going to spin it later tonight.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ May 29 2012, 07:31 PM)
This is one piece of vinyl that I actually wore down and replaced. I listened to this album constantly when I was in high school. One of my favorite records ever. Squire's bass playing and compositional skills were amazing. This album never sounds dated. I'm going to spin it later tonight.

You made a great point here. It doesn't sound dated at all. I was impressed by how fresh it sounds.