A question for Likeclockwork

Gedneil Alpeart

Likeclockwork,

Really appreciate you chiming in thus far and providing some basic info on the new album in your previous posts. I believe you when you mentioned you heard it.

Here are some of the most notable complaints of Snakes and Arrows and VT:

1) Poor sound production (mostly on VT)

2) Too dense and thickly layered arrangements...walls of sound...brick waveforms

3) Too many vocal overdubs...aka...too many Geddys

4) Lyrics being forced in, shoe horned

5) Lack of strong flow in the songs....plodding, dull

6) Songs sounding like they are just various parts stitched together in a clumsy way.

6) Often a lack of good melodies, hooks.

Maybe there are more issues, but these are the most I remember being complained about the last 2 records. These were the most discussed complaints....not just random issues raised only by a one or a few.

I would like to know if you think any of the issues above might also be complained about in CA....for the songs we haven't heard. I know some didn't feel there was much melody in HF and some thought it was stitched together awkwardly.

Based on some of the reviews, it SOUNDS like the sound production is cleaner with less dense and over crowded arrangements, also verified by Geddy and Alex in recent interviews when they said they stripped down for this record. So, I'm more concerned about shoe horned lyrics, clumsy stitching of various parts, lack of strong flow, and lack of melody. I'm pretty confident about stellar musicianship, edgy playing, and Rush revisiting some of their prog past

Could you please give us some insights about these areas without giving away info you dont want to or cant give away?

Of course, I understand, even if NONE of the issues above are present on the rest of CA, some people will still find something to complain about and moan....which is ok....sometimes it's just personal taste....

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ May 23 2012, 08:57 PM)
Likeclockwork,

Really appreciate you chiming in thus far and providing some basic info on the new album in your previous posts. I believe you when you mentioned you heard it.

2) Too dense and thickly layered arrangements...walls of sound...brick waveforms
6) Songs sounding like they are just various parts stitched together in a clumsy way.

Maybe there are more issues, but these are the most I remember being complained about the last 2 records. These were the most discussed complaints....not just random issues raised only by a one or a few.

I would like to know if you think any of the issues above might also be complained about in CA....for the songs we haven't heard. I know some didn't feel there was much melody in HF and some thought it was stitched together awkwardly.

Based on some of the reviews, it SOUNDS like the sound production is cleaner with less dense and over crowded arrangements, also verified by Geddy and Alex in recent interviews when they said they stripped down for this record. So, I'm more concerned about shoe horned lyrics, clumsy stitching of various parts, lack of strong flow, and lack of melody. I'm pretty confident about stellar musicianship, edgy playing, and Rush revisiting some of their prog past

Could you please give us some insights about these areas without giving away info you dont want to or cant give away?

Of course, I understand, even if NONE of the issues above are present on the rest of CA, some people will still find something to complain about and moan....which is ok....sometimes it's just personal taste....

goodpost.gif Let's hope he answers

someone gime 'em a call and tell him to get on his computer! lol

He has already touched on many of those things in the past. He said it flows like an 80's record and that much of the record is very melodic. He said it is many steps better than VT and SnA and that he didn't think Rush had this in them at this point. He said it is very much a modern Rush record but reminds you of an 80's feel.

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 23 2012, 10:13 PM)
He has already touched on many of those things in the past. He said it flows like an 80's record and that much of the record is very melodic. He said it is many steps better than VT and SnA and that he didn't think Rush had this in them at this point. He said it is very much a modern Rush record but reminds you of an 80's feel.

Im grateful for what he said, but those are general descriptors. Im hoping he can address each issue above in more specific terms.

It's going to be interesting to go back and revisit all of the early reviews and comments once we hear it. One of the first things we heard was:

Keyboards are present on the record so if you loathe them, sorry

Now, there are official references to keyboards being on the album so there are some but I'm willing to bet that the people who thought there were 80s style prominent keyboards were actually hearing strings and didn't know it. Other times, I just don't know what to make of peoples' comments.

I went back for fun to look at early reviews of Snakes and Arrows and found this:

Yesterday afternoon was occupied by a playback of Rush's new album. Given the paranoia that exists about downloading, this was the UK media's only chance to hear 'Snakes & Arrows' before its release date of April 30...

.. 'The Larger Bowl (A Pantoum)', meanwhile, picks up where the 'Hemispheres'-era track 'Circumstances' left off with its couplet of: "Some of us live in a cloud of fear/Some live behind iron gates"...

I hear nothing either lyrically or musically in The Larger Bowl that makes me think it picks up where Circumstances left off. When you see these kinds of comments after the fact you realize how worthless they are. I'm super excited by how positive everyone's reaction is to hearing the new album but "The song sounds like..." just doesn't mean much to me.

Likeclockwork,

1. I don't think I've ever referenced production or sound quality in my life when listening to an album so I'm probably not the right one to comment but I hear no issues.

2. Nope.

3. Thankfully this is not an album of too many Geddy's. Definitely not Vapor Trails.

4. The forced lyrics are a lot more apparent on the stuff we've already heard. Everything generally flows pretty well on the the remaining songs. When I first heard Headlong Flight I was nervous about that but it's definitely not the case on most of the rest.

5 -6- 6. Nope. Not dull songs at all and not forced. The band sounds confident and like they put a lot of time and effort into these songs. The Garden, Halo Effect & Clockwork Angels really sound unlike anything they've ever done. Those 3 along with a couple of others have some really melodic moments. As I've mentioned elsewhere, The Anarchist really sounds like something that could have been on Signals or GUP. Altho it also reminds me a bit of Nocturne.

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 25 2012, 10:26 AM)
3. Thankfully this is not an album of too many Geddy's.  Definitely not Vapor Trails.

common001.gif 653.gif trink38.gif boarder.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 25 2012, 09:26 AM)
Likeclockwork,

Really appreciate you chiming in thus far and providing some basic info on the new album in your previous posts.  I believe you when you mentioned you heard it. 

Maybe there are more issues, but these are the most I remember being complained about the last 2 records.  These were the most discussed complaints....not just random issues raised only by a one or a few.

I would like to know if you think any of the issues above might also be complained about in CA....for the songs we haven't heard.  I know some didn't feel there was much melody in HF and some thought it was stitched together awkwardly. 

Based on some of the reviews, it SOUNDS like the sound production is cleaner with less dense and over crowded arrangements, also verified by Geddy and Alex in recent interviews when they said they stripped down for this record.  So, I'm more concerned about shoe horned lyrics, clumsy stitching of various parts, lack of strong flow, and lack of melody.  I'm pretty confident about stellar musicianship, edgy playing, and Rush revisiting some of their prog past

1. I don't think I've ever referenced production or sound quality in my life when listening to an album so I'm probably not the right one to comment but I hear no issues.

2. Nope.

3. Thankfully this is not an album of too many Geddy's. Definitely not Vapor Trails.

4. The forced lyrics are a lot more apparent on the stuff we've already heard. Everything generally flows pretty well on the the remaining songs. When I first heard Headlong Flight I was nervous about that but it's definitely not the case on most of the rest.

5 -6- 6. Nope. Not dull songs at all and not forced. The band sounds confident and like they put a lot of time and effort into these songs. The Garden, Halo Effect & Clockwork Angels really sound unlike anything they've ever done. Those 3 along with a couple of others have some really melodic moments. As I've mentioned elsewhere, The Anarchist really sounds like something that could have been on Signals or GUP. Altho it also reminds me a bit of Nocturne.

Man, this all sounds great to me. I'm especially excited to know that the most forced/awkward sounding songs are the ones we've already heard, since I think they are all good to great. If the remaining songs that I haven't yet heard are even better...

drool1.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 25 2012, 09:26 AM)
Likeclockwork,

Really appreciate you chiming in thus far and providing some basic info on the new album in your previous posts.  I believe you when you mentioned you heard it. 

Maybe there are more issues, but these are the most I remember being complained about the last 2 records.  These were the most discussed complaints....not just random issues raised only by a one or a few.

I would like to know if you think any of the issues above might also be complained about in CA....for the songs we haven't heard.  I know some didn't feel there was much melody in HF and some thought it was stitched together awkwardly. 

Based on some of the reviews, it SOUNDS like the sound production is cleaner with less dense and over crowded arrangements, also verified by Geddy and Alex in recent interviews when they said they stripped down for this record.  So, I'm more concerned about shoe horned lyrics, clumsy stitching of various parts, lack of strong flow, and lack of melody.  I'm pretty confident about stellar musicianship, edgy playing, and Rush revisiting some of their prog past

2. Nope.

Thank you so much for replying! Man, this wait is KILLIMG me! I know for a fact that Im going to love many songs on this album. You're so lucky that you have been able to hear this!! Do you have a copy that you keep listening?

JUST RELEASE IT ALREADY! Wish it came out this week so we could have the long weekend to enjoy it..... angry.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 25 2012, 07:26 AM)

Very intriguing! yes.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ May 25 2012, 10:26 AM)

OK, it's official.

common001.gif I'M FREAKING EXCITED NOW!!!! common001.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ May 23 2012, 10:13 PM)

Outstanding!!