Deep, Dark, Weird Films - Some of My Faves

rushgoober

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 3 2005, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 3 2005, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 3 2005, 02:17 PM)
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009A40ES.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I've seen this movie in bits and pieces, pardon the pun. I need to see it in its entirity. It was rather disturbing, which I liked, but I never caught in on HBO from the beginning, so i would always be lost. Have to rent it.

Yeah, it's easily one of the most disturbing movies ever made. Bet you'll never listen to Huey Lewis & The News the same way again. Or Phil Collins.

It is disturbing but the book is WAY more disturbing IMO....Very very graphic stuff ...especially considering it is wriiten in the first person perspective....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 3 2005, 11:20 PM)
And i'm surprised that any of these movies have been mentioned yet:

Resevoir Dogs
Kill Bill (both volumes)
From Dusk till Dawn
Pulp Fiction

I mean... Quentin personifies this type of movie, eh?

I never thought of Tarantino as 'deep'. But his films are dark, weird, and highly entertaining imo. I didn't like the Kill Bills and Dusk til Dawn was just alright.

A Clockwork Orange is the epitome of a Deep, Dark, Weird film.

Was just given Peter Greenaway's "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" for a late birthday gift.

This film fits all three of the above.

Not too late to put it on your Xmas list.

QUOTE (plodder @ Dec 10 2005, 04:54 AM)
Was just given Peter Greenaway's "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" for a late birthday gift.

This film fits all three of the above.

Not too late to put it on your Xmas list.

this movie is definitely all three, but be warned, it's very disturbing too. most of the movies on my list fit deep, dark and weird but aren't as disturbing. don't get me wrong, i liked this movie, but tread carefully with peter greenaway films in general - the guy is a major freak. cool.gif

yeah, not family viewing in any way shape or form.

Yesterday I watched a movie I have to add to my personal list of deep, dark, weird films....

An Irish movie called Butcher Boy...directed by Neil Jordan (well known for directing The Crying Game and Interview With The Vampire)

It's kind of a dark comedy; following the story of an Irish boy slowly going insane....

lets see, i loved crash, and the butterfly effect.

dark film i loved , heathers

will add more input after further reflection.

I really, really, really loved the movie Crash. Granted, every time I watch it I can't stop bawling for a couple hours, but in the end it seems worth it.

Dark, weird films... well, none exactly spring to mind that I've watched, but there are probably a couple. I don't know, um... the Virgin Suicides was rather dark, but it, to me, seemed more like dark comedy than anything. It could just be my sense of humor, though.

The Hours! That has to be the WEIRDEST movie I have ever seen. I still don't quite understand it.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 13 2006, 03:46 PM)
I dunno if this counts..."Vanilla Sky"...There is so much hidden shit in that movie. and it's pretty weird because it's all over the place.

Me & Indy rented that flick

We were soo lost watchin it unsure.gif

We didnt like at all no.gif

I LOVED vanilla Sky! I mostly loved it because it was so weird!

Rented The Machinst and going to watch it this weekend.

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Jan 13 2006, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 13 2006, 03:46 PM)
I dunno if this counts..."Vanilla Sky"...There is so much hidden shit in that movie. and it's pretty weird because it's all over the place.

Me & Indy rented that flick

We were soo lost watchin it unsure.gif

We didnt like at all no.gif

Really? I loved it. good soundtrack too. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 13 2006, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 13 2006, 10:03 AM)
Hmmm....

Pi
Memento
American Psycho
Requiem for a Dream
Se7en
One Hour Photo
Donnie Darko
Brazil
A Clockwork Orange

God, so many more...

I haven't seen "One Hour Photo" or "Donnie Darko," but that's a good list.

Donnie Darko was a career making film for the director and Jake... umm... Gyllenhaal? Gylizanhull? Gigglestick? Yea, the Brokeback Mountain one...

And One Hour Photo is such a good drama. I would consider it a cultish drama before a thriller. Robin Williams gives an amazing performance. Completely changed what I thought of him (which was hairy funny man, if you wanted to know...)

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 13 2006, 09:03 AM)
Hmmm....

Pi
Memento
American Psycho
Requiem for a Dream
Se7en
One Hour Photo
Donnie Darko
Brazil
A Clockwork Orange

God, so many more...

The Stand,

Based on your list, I'd highly recommend "Primer". It's not a dark movie (not really), but I'd bet dollars to donuts you'd love it. Just don't do any research on it before you see it... just watch it.

We watched Run Lola Run in German class....

I haven't seen like any of the previously mentioned movies...but I'd gladly watch any....

But Run Lola Run is available in German with English subtitles, and tells the story of Lola, who's Boyfriend has an hour to come up with some massive amount of money. And the plot actually happens three times showing different outcomes....really cool....and theres a neat scene where Lola is running down a street and they show you the life of every person she meets in a series of "flash-forwards"

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Jan 15 2006, 02:02 PM)
We watched Run Lola Run in German class....

I haven't seen like any of the previously mentioned movies...but I'd gladly watch any....

But Run Lola Run is available in German with English subtitles, and tells the story of Lola, who's Boyfriend has an hour to come up with some massive amount of money.  And the plot actually happens three times showing different outcomes....really cool....and theres a neat scene where Lola is running down a street and they show you the life of every person she meets in a series of "flash-forwards"

That's a cool German teacher you have to have asked for permission to show Run Lola Run in class.