Rush Album Listening Contest!

Animate

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I gotta remember to take my debut album back out to the car; then I'll get started. I'm not going to worry about "points" because I have a very short drive to work and usually get only one or two songs in on the way there and on the way home. I do better when I drive to my boyfriend's, or we drive somewhere and go for a hike. I'm also gonna have an issue with Vapor Trails as I still don't own it. Maybe I'll buy it soon.

Maybe I'm old or somethin' but I do this all the time. Usually, I start with FBN and just keep listening. A Rush 'marathon' always helped me get through a work week. I guess that's how I knew liking Rush wasn't a phase. I don't get burned out on it.

It's been a while since my last marathon though. Maybe it's time to do it again.

^^^^^^

I love your enthusiasm, Animate. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

And I would be honored to be part of your marathon listening challenge party extravaganza (assuming I can survive CoS). 1022.gif

I almost reached the Fountain... what an album! I can't help thinking about Paul Stanley listening to it z7shysterical.gif ...

Necromancer is in my opinion a masterpiece, I'd pay for a video live version of the bytor saga, that 14 min. thing... also Lamneth is an entire world of music... in some way, the most complete suite by Rush. In the others, they never touched so many different strings...

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

PS I'm at work. When the telephone rings I can ignore it some moments, but I can't if the caller is someone waiting for me... that counts as a stop? I'm not willing to stop, but I got to.

Edited by Alexmai

The last notes of Something for nothing are fading... my favourite song off 2112, also if its live version in ATWAS is better than the studio one... too bad we can't listen to it now laugh.gif

Incredibly, 2112 (the song) seems to be happier than Lamneth... they were in a bad moment, but Geddy's voice seems to know that he's going to be someone in the music world... great album. I love COS but 2112 is legend, I understand it better listening to them in a row... the echoes right ear/left ear are something you oughta live in your life, at least once... but maybe being a fan of the greatest cult band in the world is also this trink36.gif

PS Minutes ago my boss call me... I got to interrupt... but he gave me a special prize, so I'm happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 1022.gif

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

The first part of the Voyage is fading... Xanadu is Rush's Roundabout, the quintessence of the band... best song of their catalogue, in my opinion. The titletrack is my second favourite...

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Edited by Alexmai

Last album for today, Hemispheres. La villa is the best thing on it, yesterday as today. Listening to Book II after 2112 and Lamneth put it in the worst position... it looks like a children lyrics, while Lamneth is university. Too simple? Maybe. Or maybe is Lamneth that was too far from reality, seeing how it was ignored...

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

QUOTE (Alexmai @ May 18 2012, 04:53 AM)
The first part of the Voyage is fading... Xanadu is Rush's Roundabout, the quintessence of the band... best song of their catalogue, in my opinion. The titletrack is my second favourite...

Rush 10
FBN 10
COS 10
2112 10
AFTK 10

I finished AFTK also!

Two breaks though, so only

Rush 7

FBN 8

COS 10

2112 9

AFTK 8

Agree 1E06% that Xanadu is the quintessential Rush song- all the elements in one package! Great bass, synths, guitars, perfect drums. Fantastic storyline based on fantasy, adventure, literature, with a message. And don't get me started interpreting the luscious 5 minute instrumental introduction!

My wife and I got an early jump on the albums last night - we listened to the first four. Here are some of our random thoughts:

Rush - Solid debut, even if it is a little generic by Rush standards. I have always loved Before and After. My wife digs Here Again.

I've always felt Rutsey has been wronged because he is compared to Neil. But for mid 70s straight-ahead rock, Rutsey is solid. But then you listen to that young band on the debut, and then follow it up with ...

Fly by Night - man, there is a pop and snappiness that makes even the "leftovers" from the first album (Best I Can, In the End) sound fresh and attractive, thanks to "the new guy". I have a fondness for the In the End. Love the intro.

My wife likes Making Memories, the title track, and Best I Can. Anthem is my far and away favorite.

Caress of Steel - not my favorite Rush album by miles, but interesting nonetheless. I like Bastille Day and The Necromancer. The Fountain of Lamneth seems well-intentioned but dark and misguided. And Ged is right -- might've been a little too many "funny aromas" floating around in those days...

My wife enjoys Lakeside Park and even finds good things in The Necromancer musically. The humor in I Think I'm Going Bald falls flat.

More soon ....

Edited by wilb1972

2112 - Its amazing the improvement from the previous album to this one, both musically and sonically. The conceptual aspect of the story is more focused as well. Its more "up" and doesn't feel labored. The music serves the story well and it sounds as if the guys were learning to evoke the right emotions musically now, whereas on CoS it didn't feel "right".

The rest of the album is cool and interesting. Tears is a nice change of pace. Something for Nothing is inspiring and is a nice summation of the band up to that point and for the album.

All the World's a Stage - Nice, rousing performances. Ged's voice is all over the place but the "imperfections" are overshadowed by the sheer power and energy of the playing and honesty in the delivery of the vocals. A young band still trying to perfect its live sound. It sounds like a band who could be defined as hard rock with a penchant for fantasy, not that different from Zeppelin but far more angular and becoming increasingly less blues-based. Hints of things to come...

My wife and I grew tired last night and had to take a break after In the End (one ... two ... buckle my shoe... THUMP!) so I guess points get taken off for that. We plan to finish that tonight.

After that, its AFtK and the bonus disc of Different Stages from the Hammersmith show -- after all, this is about listening chronologically right? smile.gif

Edited by wilb1972

Is there extra credit for listening to 5th Order of Angels? (Only because there are unreleased songs on it) Well, I listened to it anyway. Already well into 2112.

Yup, marathon listens are exactly why I'm grateful for the variety in album styles.

["A one...two...three...FOOOOOAAAAAHHHH!!!!"]

Edited by ioc

QUOTE (Alexmai @ May 18 2012, 05:24 AM)
Last album for today, Hemispheres. La villa is the best thing on it, yesterday as today. Listening to Book II after 2112 and Lamneth put it in the worst position... it looks like a children lyrics, while Lamneth is university. Too simple? Maybe. Or maybe is Lamneth that was too far from reality, seeing how it was ignored...

Rush 10
FBN 10
COS 10
2112 10
AFTK 10
Hemi 10

Well, of course being from Rome it is only natural that you would prefer "Bacchus Plateau" to Dionysus!

QUOTE (ioc @ May 18 2012, 01:38 PM)
Is there extra credit for listening to 5th Order of Angels? (Only because there are unreleased songs on it) Well, I listened to it anyway. Already well into 2112.

Yup, marathon listens are exactly why I'm grateful for the variety in album styles.

["A one...two...three...FOOOOOAAAAAHHHH!!!!"]

As many bootlegs as possible! ...I will think of a Bootleg Catagory....

Also, a run down of which are the best bootlegs would be very very cool!