Rush Album Listening Contest!

Animate

Day 4 (May 28) - 2112

2112 - BAM! The Overture/Temples combo is arguably the best opener to any Rush album, as well as one of the best musical pieces they've done IMO. I will admit that it would be my favourite song on the album if the Discovery/Presentation combo hooked me more. Don't get me wrong, they are great parts...and are crucial to the story, but I find that the Overture/Temples and Soliloquy/Grand Finale are the parts that keep me wanting more. Overall, F'N great tune of course!

A Passage To Bangkok - This song really took off with me after hearing the riff on the R30 Overture. It came off so well on that version, and I also have always loved the ESL version. While I do believe that it has more power live, this song is simply fun. It's a joy to listen to, and it rocks. An awkward shift after the title track, but it's an awesome song to always come back to.

The Twilight Zone - A forgotten song that is quite different for a Rush song. It's eerie at points (as it should be), but still manages to keep me hooked throughout. I really enjoy this one...and I think the music matches the mood of the lyrics. A solid, overlooked tune!

Lessons - I'm going to say it...this has to easily be one of their most underrated and under-appreciated songs, period. Just an awesome upbeat tune that rocks throughout. This is Alex's song, from the lyrics to the great guitar-work. A forgotten track, but a great one!

Tears - Probably the bottom of the barrel on the album, but still a really nice song. Definitely not your typical Rush song, but it is quite emotional. The mellotron is fantastic...and the outro is so eerie and different from anything they've ever done.

Something For Nothing - Well, this is my favourite tune on the album! This one simply rocks and is an in-your-face rocker! I love the lyrics, and I love the anger that Ged sings with, as if this is the last song Rush would put out (as they seemed to think at the time). The bridge section is great, and Alex again shines on this one with the fadeout solo!

Overall, a great album. Like CoS, it does feel a little all over the place at times, but is more cohesive overall. I think it's more because of their inclusion of songs where both Geddy and Alex got their lyrics included, which is of course because they figured this was it for them. Thankfully, it was only the beginning! It's a fantastic album full of emotion, anger, and defiance...it was a statement against everyone that was against them! I feel that everytime I listen to this album...bloody awesome!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a vapor trail... what an album! The intro to Sweet miracle is imho one of the best after MP... maybe ever. I love it (but the rest of the song is far from that good). I didn't love Ghost rider in the beginning, now is one of my favourites off this album. I really love Vapor trail, hope to see it live. Secret touch used to be my favourite, now is played too much... I love Out of the cradle... only songs less than lovable, to me, are Stars look down and Earthshine ;-)

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

GUP 10

PoW 10

HYF 10

Presto 10

RTB 10

CTP 10

TFE 10

VT 10

I'm holding on... Snake and arrows is a good album, but not "enraged" as VT. Great Far cry and A&S, good instrumentals, I love Bravest face and Hold on. Less loved, GNF and Spindrift, I think...

Rush 10

FBN 10

COS 10

2112 10

AFTK 10

Hemi 10

PeW 10

MP 10

Signals 10

GUP 10

PoW 10

HYF 10

Presto 10

RTB 10

CTP 10

TFE 10

VT 10

S&A 10

Today is Snakes and Arrows Day!!!

I loved this record from the very first time that I heard it.

"Armor and Sword" remains one of my favourite Rush songs.

This, in my opinion, is a masterpiece.

I procrastinated like hell and didn't do the listening over the weekend, so today at work I just went from Rush all the way to A Farewell to Kings.

Rush 10

Fly by Night 10

Caress of Steel 9 (Headphones disconnected)

2112 10

A Farewell to Kings 10

During AFTK I kept getting attacked by birds. I feel as though it diminished the experience somewhat.

Made some progress this weekend!

Caress of Steel

Bastille Day- We go from the U.S. in Beneath, Between, and Behind to the French Revolution here - both very colorful, helped by the intensity of Geddy's voice. "Power isn't all that money buys" are great lyrics. Love Alex's guitar here.

Going Bald- I don't care what anyone says, I love it. I love the way Geddy sings certain parts: "i think I'm...I'm going bald. "I'll still be gray my way! YEAH!" Puts a smile on my face. Maybe those who get "so involved with life" are the haters?

Lakeside Park- One of a growing number of songs immersing one in a place and time. It's grown on me quite a bit...I originally didn't dig Geddy's vocals here, which is weird for me, but I'm coming around.

Necromancer- The only trouble with the narration for me is that it's hard to make out. LOVE the different styles of music in this song, and Alex is on fire. The changes in the music bring home the emotion; for example, Return of the Prince, when the prisoners are released, is pure joy.

The Fountain of Lamneth- One of the biggest growers for me in the whole Rush catalog. Very personal for me after going through a huge number of deaths of family and friends last winter. I was doing a lot of thinking about life and death, and the song helped me work through it. What others see as disjointedness, I see as an accurate portrayal of the huge changes one goes through in life. I was also trying to nail down the vocals in case I'm called upon in a performance at the Bristow tailgate, and finding it a VERY tall order ohmy.gif

2112- An immediate sci-fi feel as compared to the epics on COS. Still some sweeping changes during the song, though maybe not as much as Fountain, but a signature emotional ending typical of all their epics. A great tragedy in the classical tradition, with our hero never realizing how close he was to freedom. More of the individualism theme, of keeping freedom alive in your heart, if nowhere else.

Bangkok/Twilight Zone- More transporting us to different settings/places/states of mind. While I can't relate to the Bangkok experience, it sounds colorful biggrin.gif

Lessons-Great tune, but it often gets lumped in with Something for Nothing in my head.

Tears- A nice little interlude between the adjacent rockers. Evocative of the 70's for some reason.

Something For Nothing- Geddy's vocals are intense, but with lyrics as awesome as the whole "What you own is your own kingdom" bridge, nothing else would be acceptable! One of a growing number of songs where Rush gives out great advice - more directly than metaphorically here.

A Farewell To Kings - the one album where I like all songs nearly equally. Love the Renaissance Faire-type musical theme (up until Cygnus).

AFTK- Love the lyrical connection to Closer To The Heart. This would happen again and again. I still feel like we're living this song today.

Xanadu- Love the birds chirping, the "moral of the story", and Alex's guitar. Another great tragedy.

Closer To The Heart And now, a song so positive I use it for encouragement often...when in my snarkier moods, especially dealing with people, I ask myself if I'm really living closer to the heart? "You can be the captain..." just gets me every time - a short song that packs a punch. More good Rush advice.

Cinderella Man - More "moral of the story" in regards to judging people.

Madrigal- I said before that I envision Rivendell as a comforting message from Rush. If that were so, they have also written in this song what I would want to be my response. At this point in my listening, I thought about how comforting their music has become for me, and how fortunate I feel to have found them again.

Cygnus X-1- Back to a sci-fi feel. KILLER bass! The different sound and cliffhanger ending make you anticipate the next album. I can't imagine what this must have been like back in the day when you had to wait for it.

*While taking that CD out and putting in Hemispheres, I couldn't figure out why Rush was still playing. Turns out Fly By Night was on the radio! Had to stop and listen.*

Hemispheres

Hemispheres- I got caught up in this one. It doesn't just tell you to be balanced or illustrate why you should be, but makes you FEEL that way. I could tell, since I was both attentive to how bad the traffic was coming home, yet calmly dealing with it instead of getting stressed out. laugh.gif

At times I see myself as the Dionysus of our relationship and my boyfriend the Apollo, but the truth is, we both, and we all, have our moments of each. It's good to have the other person around to well, balance you out. I've often thought that if we ever make our relationship "official", "Let the truth of love be lighted; let the love of truth shine clear" is going on the invitations.

Circumstances- I love how the character retains his youthful quality, despite all the changes life has thrown his way. The GOOD things stay the same, too.

The Trees- Maybe it's political on a larger scale, but this is another one I think of personal relationship-wise as well. Hopefully, hatchet, axes, and saws won't come into it! ohmy.gif The Ren-Faire-y music seems to connect back to AFTK.

And that's it...no La Villa coming home today because it was raining so hard I couldn't have heard it. Permanent Waves will be a bit tricky - only have that one on vinyl, so it'll probably be a listen at home tomorrow.

Whew!

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ May 29 2012, 10:03 PM)
The Fountain of Lamneth- What others see as disjointedness, I see as an accurate portrayal of the huge changes one goes through in life.

That's a very nice way of looking at it. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Unobtrusive Companion @ May 28 2012, 10:19 AM)
*snip*

It's fighting for the bottom spot in my opinion, but, in the name of the listen-a-thon, I will listen and give my thoughts! It starts off well.

*snip*

trink39.gif

Thats the spirit! We can all get through our own personal least favorite albums, if we remember that they were written by the same guys that gave us our own personal favorite albums!! cheer.gif common001.gif

For me, the hard period to listen to start to finish was the middle period (PowW to RTB- except Presto wub.gif which is a fantastic album all the way through!)

Only 15 left! U can do it!

Edited by Animate

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ May 28 2012, 06:06 PM)
Today is R30 Day!!!

Listened to R30 and watched the companion DVD, both start to finish.

Today brought back fond memories of seeing Rush at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on the R30 tour.

An unbelievable night, filled with great music.

If you are interested, look for the boot, "Crossing the Stage", a live recording from that night...simply amazing!!!

Thanks! I am adding the bootleg "Crossing the Stage" to my "must hear bootleg" list!

Speaking of bootlegs, is it true the ABC1974 release is the official and completely entire "5th Order of Angels" bootleg? or are there differences between the two?

Edited by Animate

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 29 2012, 07:23 PM)
I procrastinated like hell and didn't do the listening over the weekend, so today at work I just went from Rush all the way to A Farewell to Kings.

Rush 10
Fly by Night 10
2112 10
A Farewell to Kings 10

During AFTK I kept getting attacked by birds. I feel as though it diminished the experience somewhat.

OK, you can't say something like you were being attacked by birds without providing details!

Do you mean the birds in the beginning of Xanadu, or real birds?

QUOTE (Animate @ May 30 2012, 06:54 AM)

Alexmei has completed his listening run, listening to all 18 original studio albums with out a break in any of them!

2.gif Alexmai: Alexmai is Back with a Vengeance!
Completed All 18 Rush Studio Albums!!! Rush to SnA!!!

As I said, I didn't stop to drink or pee, but I stopped when the work phone rang or my chief asked my attention wink.gif

So, I don't know if I deserve my position on chart...

PS I'm currently doing the same marathon with Kiss discography... Kiss to Rock and roll over since this morning common001.gif

During AFTK I kept getting attacked by birds

We have some mocking birds outside our office and they have attacked everybody!! I have been pecked and almost hit in the head by those little buggers!!

Mr & Mrs Wilb1972,
Studio Albums: Rush through Counterpart:
Official Live Albums: ATWS, ESL, GUP, ASOH
Official Live Releases (from bonus tracks etc): Hammersmith Odeon (1978 AFTK tour)
Bootleg Albums (Live in St. Louis)
Added: Single Videos! 25 singles, Rush through Signals era!

I guess you missed my post on the additional videos we watched, we are now all the way up through the HYF era and planning to start with the Presto era videos soon. smile.gif

Last night we squeezed in Test For Echo. A nice continuation of Counterparts, but lacking somewhat. While its a consistent album, and my wife and I liked most of the tracks, we found some of the lyrics to be poor. The lyrics for the title track, Dog Years, Virtuality and Totem were just ... not good! Musically we dig those tracks. But the lyrics just sounded weak. Neil has done better!

Standout tracks: Driven, Resist, Limbo, Carve Away the Stone and Time and Motion.

Edited by wilb1972

QUOTE (wilb1972 @ May 30 2012, 07:18 AM)
During AFTK I kept getting attacked by birds

We have some mocking birds outside our office and they have attacked everybody!! I have been pecked and almost hit in the head by those little buggers!!

Mr & Mrs Wilb1972,
Studio Albums: Rush through Counterpart:
Official Live Albums: ATWS, ESL, GUP, ASOH
Official Live Releases (from bonus tracks etc): Hammersmith Odeon (1978 AFTK tour)
Bootleg Albums (Live in St. Louis)
Added: Single Videos! 25 singles, Rush through Signals era!

I guess you missed my post on the additional videos we watched, we are now all the way up through the HYF era and planning to start with the Presto era videos soon. smile.gif

Last night we squeezed in Test For Echo. A nice continuation of Counterparts, but lacking somewhat. While its a consistent album, and my wife and I liked most of the tracks, we found some of the lyrics to be poor. The lyrics for the title track, Dog Years, Virtuality and Totem were just ... not good! Musically we dig those tracks. But the lyrics just sounded weak. Neil has done better!

Standout tracks: Driven, Resist, Limbo, Carve Away the Stone and Time and Motion.

ohmy.gif oops! trink39.gif will go back and update ASAP!

Day 5 (May 29) - A FAREWELL TO KINGS

A Farewell To Kings - The acoustic opening certainly changes up the usual pace of Rush openers. But it works perfectly here. It sets the tone for the song before those strong electric chords come in. Again, some fantastic lyrics by Neil. The biggest thing that caught my ears this time was Neil's fills. Holy smokes...he's killing it with the fills!

Xanadu - WOW. All I can really say. This is quite possibly my absolute favourite Rush song. In fact, it is probably one of my all-time favourite tracks. The whole intro sets the mood nicely, and then BAM! We get hit with powerful notes and chords. Again, all three are killing it here...Neil's fills are all over the place again. Just amazing. I could never get sick of this song...ever. Flawless.

Closer To The Heart - So, here's one of their big radio hits. I will admit...not one of my favourites, and on this album, it ranks near the bottom. However, the song is still fantastic. A great melody, and a fantastic guitar solo. Short, but to the point!

Cinderella Man - Here is another very underrated track from Rush. It's a great tune penned by Geddy, and I absolutely love the bass work on this one. It's got a great melody and a great feel.

Madrigal - A simple, nice little song. I always seem to enjoy this one. The lyrics are great, and while the music is certainly not mind-blowing, it works for the feel of the song.

Cygnus X-1 - I will admit...of all the Rush epics, this is one of the ones I listen to the least. By no means does this mean it's bad. On the contrary, it rocks! That first real bit of music has all three of the guys kicking ass, and it's one of my favourite musical things they've ever done!

Overall, another fantastic album. As we know, this really starts the stretch of their 'golden era' works. Unlike the last few albums before it, this one seems to be completely cohesive. All of the tracks fit together, which is great. As stated above, the thing that really caught my ears this time around was Neil's fills. This album is chalk-full of them...he's simply killing the skins. It's probably my least listened to of the golden era albums, but Xanadu is easily one of, if not, my favourite Rush songs.

QUOTE (Animate @ May 30 2012, 05:48 AM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ May 29 2012, 07:23 PM)

Rush 10
Fly by Night 10
2112 10
A Farewell to Kings 10

OK, you can't say something like you were being attacked by birds without providing details!

Do you mean the birds in the beginning of Xanadu, or real birds?

Actual birds. I was working outside and I noticed that the birds in Zanadu were just a bit louder than normal. Turns out, I had two blackbirds circling just over me. They kept dive bombing, and one almost pooped on me!

Today is Hemispheres day!

Today is Snakes and Arrows Day...again!

Rush - Snakes and Arrows (again)

Rush - Snakes and Arrows Live

Rush - Snakes and Arrows Live (DVD)

...all three start to finish.

A great time in Rush's history...love the studio album and love the live companion!

The line, "turn up the music and smile..." from "Workin' Them Angels" has so resonated within me, as their music speaks to me on so many levels...great songs and great memories give great cause to smile.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

We are hoping to navigate Different Stages tonight. And we might possibly work in some videos.

I don't know if we can get through all of these by this weekend as we planned. sad.gif But I think we can finish them by some time next week. The live albums are doing us in -- they got longer!

Day 5 - A Farewell To Kings

I know, I'm a day behind, but I've had exams etc. so I've been busy! I'll do two albums in a day at some point to make up for it.

A bit of acoustic weirdness to open us up, before the riff for the title track kicks in. Nice, upbeat track, I like it. Is it me or is Geddy's voice quite high in the mix? Anyway, on to Xanadu. Nothing worth noting for the first 2 minutes, then finaly the volume gets above quiet. And we're away. What a song this is! All sorts of synths, cowbells, other bells etc going on here. Unless I missed a bit previous to this, no vocal until 5 minutes in. That's the Rush way! Geddy's in top form vocally as well, the chorus of this song is great. It's always a challenge to me to hum correctly the guitar part just before the chorus, which is short and repeated a few times, before seemingly tripling in length and complexity. I did manage it on this listen though! Then, a favourite of mine. Closer To The Heart. Slow, quiet intro, before Neil kicks in and we get a bit of a beat going. Some weird church bells thrown in for good measure as well, I'll go with that. Nice solo from Lifeson here as well, goes nicely with the song. Great stuff. Cinderella Man opens with a strong riff, before the vocal kicks in, accompanied only by some fast-paced acoustic guitar. Another catchy foot-tapper, up until we slow down to the Cinderella Man bit, but the foot returns to the gas after this. This pace change continues to occur, with a guitar solo thrown in with a fast bit. Not fussed on Madrigal in all honesty, it just seems to be a bit pointless in my view. Cygnus Book I is an epic, and, in my opinion, an epic epic! Sticking with the 2112 idea, there's some spooky stuff at the start before Geddy teases us with that bass line. Neil joins in, before Alex completes the lineup and we're away! Again, we're 5 minutes in before Geddy gives us anything vocally, but god damn it's worth the wait! That scream! So yes, this song is good.

Ratings

Rush 7/10

FBN 8/10

CoS 4.5/10

2112 10/10

AFTK 8.5/10

Okay update time:

We stuck with the videos last night and finished them all! So you can add these:

Show, Don't Tell

The Pass

Superconductor

Roll the Bones

Stick it Out

Nobody's Hero

Half the World

Driven

Resist (live, R30)

Secret Touch (live, R30)

The Seeker (live, R30)

Far Cry

Malignant Narcissism

Headlong Flight

Tonight we plan on Different Stages and maybe VT if we have time. Then tomorrow we will be off the radar until Sunday.

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Animate @ May 17 2012, 11:08 AM)
However, all contest participants will receive a yet to be designed, High Quality .pdf Certificate! Featuring the screen names and final scores of all participants! Made using All Rush Fonts and featuring select pictures of the boys from each decade!

Quick Question, is this still in the works?

Permanent Waves Day! SO EXCITED!

Day 6 - Hemispheres

Great intro to Book II of the Cygnus duology, as we have come to expect from Rush. Top quality musicianship from all three, and almost 3 minutes in Geddy blows our socks off with some vocal. Nice. 4 and a half minutes in, and the song ends. But no, there's more! Back again for another verse after a 5+ second silence. Strange, but it works. During this song, I never lose the feeling that it is an absolute masterpiece. 17 minutes of my life fly by as Rush take me on a musical journey. This song is a very close second to 2112 in terms of the epics, in my opinion. It goes all slow on us about 13 minutes in, only to punch us square in the face 2 minutes later, and return to the Hemispheres we know and love. Circumstances is a brilliant song, I don't care what anyone says. Killer riff, great verse, rockin' chorus (if a bit of a struggle for Geddy recently). All in all, awesome. Enough said. The Trees is a bit strange, and my least favourite song on the album. That's not to say I don't like it though, far from it. There's not a bad song on this album. The melody is very good, but, let's face it, the song is about a forest of trees. What's going on there? Anyway, on to the fourth and final track, the unequalled brilliance that is La Villa Strangiato. No idea where the title came from, but that couldn't matter less. This is by far and away the best Rush instrumental, and you've got to go some to be better than YYZ. I just love how each instrument has it's moment in the spotlight, and never during it's 9 minutes do you think "this could do with some words, it's getting boring." A masterclass in how to write a long instrumental. Mozart, take note.

Ratings

Rush 7/10

FBN 8/10

CoS 4.5/10

2112 10/10

AFTK 8.5/10

Hemispheres 9.5/10