What song from Test for Echo

losingit2k

What song from T4E would you want Rush to Play on CA tour?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. What song from T4E would you want Rush to Play on CA tour?

• Test For Echo
    • Driven
    • Half The World
    • The Colour of Right
    • Time and Motion
    • Todem
    • Dog Years
    • Virtuality
    • Resist
    • Limbo
    • Carve away the Stone

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Virtuality is one of my favorite Rush lyrics and definitely my personal album top pick from T4E. It really speaks to me as a child of the Internet age, I guess, and man I go nuts for "Press this key to see amazing things" followed by the crank-it-to-eleven version of the harmonic riff. 1022.gif Would go absolutely wild to see that live; such a rockin' number.

Actually, I really dig the straightforward rock songwriting evident on this album, and I'd be happy to see just about any of these (except "Resist," only because it's overdone). "Half the World," "Color of Right," and "Carve Away the Stone" exhibit a really wonderful blend of melody and words.

That said, it's easy for me to see why some people just don't get into this album, and why Virtuality gets no love. People who don't like Vapor Trails, however, I will never understand. fing.gif We're on opposite hemispheres.

QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Jun 2 2012, 12:29 AM)
Shame on everyone who voted Driven. That song is just generic mid 90's rock. The lyrics are some of Rush's worst. (Below Dog Years for sure)

If they could pull Limbo off it would be incredible. It would give Geddy's voice a rest (aside from occasional wailing) and is a very underrated instrumental. Much better than Where's My Thing and tMMb IMO.

goodpost.gif I also don't understand why Driven is popular amongst Rush heads. It is very straightforward and is probably the "safest" song on the album. I will go on record as saying that every song aside from Driven on T4E pushed the boundaries of what Rush has done in the past. To clarify what I mean by this, I'm saying that Rush has always been a very intense hard rock band at its core, and most of the songs on T4E strayed as far away from being "in your face" as Rush can be, while still being very Rush. Anyways, to me Driven is a weak track because it doesn't go anywhere too interesting in terms of heaviness, progginess, or melodically IMHO. That being said, I still like it.

I also agree that Limbo would be great live. It stays fresh sounding because it has this kind of spontaneous jam feel to it. Would be cool in a instrumental medley.

QUOTE (beneathbetweenbehindyourmom @ Jun 15 2012, 04:17 AM)
QUOTE (Czarcasm @ Jun 2 2012, 12:29 AM)
Shame on everyone who voted Driven. That song is just generic mid 90's rock. The lyrics are some of Rush's worst. (Below Dog Years for sure)

If they could pull Limbo off it would be incredible. It would give Geddy's voice a rest (aside from occasional wailing) and is a very underrated instrumental. Much better than Where's My Thing and tMMb IMO.

goodpost.gif I also don't understand why Driven is popular amongst Rush heads. It is very straightforward and is probably the "safest" song on the album.

Driven is a weak track because it doesn't go anywhere too interesting in terms of heaviness, progginess, or melodically IMHO.

Not proggy?

Ah yes, Driven with it's straightforward 4/4 beat.

Not heavy?

I believe it's also a drop "D" tuning. And check out the last section before it ends, especially on Different Stages. It's no Death Metal but that's some awesome heavy shit man!

No melody?

Acoutsic guitar and Ged's melodic line "But it's my turn to drive, but it's my turn to Driiiiiive!" At least it doesn't suffer from "GeddyWasShoehornedInitis!

--

Sorry sir, we will agree to disagree wink.gif

Edited by Del_Duio

I know it would probably be out of place in any set list, but I'm a fan of Carve away the Stone, so I threw it a vote biggrin.gif

That said, with this set list bound to be very CA heavy...doubt anything from t4e makes the cut.

QUOTE (A rocket that ignites itself @ Jun 20 2012, 03:48 PM)
I know it would probably be out of place in any set list, but I'm a fan of Carve away the Stone, so I threw it a vote biggrin.gif

That said, with this set list bound to be very CA heavy...doubt anything from t4e makes the cut.

Oh I wouldn't say that. I think T4E has a good chance of seeing the Limelight once again.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif