CA trends towards the Jamming

losingit2k

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that 2.gif is trending towards jamming on their next tour. Caravan had its little jam at the end , and lets face it Headlong Flight is an Epic jam. wink.gif Anyhoo, does this indicated that on tour they will be more incline to include the jams in their set list. Songs like:

Finding My Way, Working Man, Analog Kid, Anthem, Beneath, Behind and Between, Cygnus X-1, Hemisphere's Prelude, By-Tor & the Snow Dog and The Necromancer thrown in for good measure: like below link:

Check out 4:37 in the mix.

Basically songs where they all tear it up and generally let loose!

confused13.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 4 2012, 10:36 AM)
Of the list you made, they maybe might play Analog Kid. Everything else is a pipe dream.

goodpost.gif

No way in high heck they will ever play The Necromancer.

Also, judging by your examples, I'm entirely unclear as to what constitutes a "jam".

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 4 2012, 09:36 AM)
Of the list you made, they maybe might play Analog Kid. Everything else is a pipe dream.

Oh cause they've never played , Finding My Way, Working Man or By-Tor in concert as of late?

A vagely, Vagely recall them playing Working Man last year! Of course I wasn't on the PIPE and completely stoned at the concert, which is why I can remember it!

cool10.gif 062802puke_prv.gif laugh.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ May 4 2012, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 4 2012, 10:36 AM)

goodpost.gif

No way in high heck they will ever play The Necromancer.

Also, judging by your examples, I'm entirely unclear as to what constitutes a "jam".

Well I can tell you its not what you have jammed up your moon.gif !

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 4 2012, 08:36 AM)

Working Man is certainly not a pipe dream, in fact I'm almost worried they will play it again. I love it but it's been in 3 of the last 4 sets. Enough already. That's really about the only complaint I have about their sets in general. They're doing a great job bringing back stuff they haven't played in ages or ever but then they hang on to them.

Natural Science wasn't played for a long time then it was on 3 of the next 4 tours. Between the Wheels was a major surprise but then they brought it back again the following tour, Working Man wasn't played for over 20 years and now it's been on 3 of the last 4 tours, Witch Hunt hadn't been played since the Power Windows tour but then was played on back to back tours. As excited as I was to hear it on the S&A tour it kind of blunted the excitement for it on the TM tour. Anyway, since they've been recording/filming their tours for a while now I just wish there were fewer repetitions. Of course I'd like to rest some of the standards too but that's not realistic, too many people go just to hear those so I'm ok with that. But for the more obscure songs I wish they'd get to as many as possible and not repeat them.

As far as the actual thread topic, I don't think you can read anything into that. If the majority of the album is going to be more melodic why not assume they'll play fewer jammy songs by your logic?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 4 2012, 09:43 AM)
they need to drop working man and move on to something else.

I think so too, but they seem to fond of the songs as of late. They can easily replace it with Finding My Way/ What You're Doing , I think at the Encore of the GUP tour!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 4 2012, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ May 4 2012, 08:36 AM)

Working Man is certainly not a pipe dream, in fact I'm almost worried they will play it again. I love it but it's been in 3 of the last 4 sets. Enough already. That's really about the only complaint I have about their sets in general. They're doing a great job bringing back stuff they haven't played in ages or ever but then they hang on to them.

Natural Science wasn't played for a long time then it was on 3 of the next 4 tours. Between the Wheels was a major surprise but then they brought it back again the following tour, Working Man wasn't played for over 20 years and now it's been on 3 of the last 4 tours, Witch Hunt hadn't been played since the Power Windows tour but then was played on back to back tours. As excited as I was to hear it on the S&A tour it kind of blunted the excitement for it on the TM tour. Anyway, since they've been recording/filming their tours for a while now I just wish there were fewer repetitions. Of course I'd like to rest some of the standards too but that's not realistic, too many people go just to hear those so I'm ok with that. But for the more obscure songs I wish they'd get to as many as possible and not repeat them.

As far as the actual thread topic, I don't think you can read anything into that. If the majority of the album is going to be more melodic why not assume they'll play fewer jammy songs by your logic?

You're right on that aspect! I'm just going by that first three songs, and the fact as you mentioned that they have played Working Man so often as of late. They just seem to be having so much fun playing it!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

"Finding My Way, Working Man, Anthem, Beneath, Behind and Between, Cygnus X-1, Hemisphere's Prelude, By-Tor & the Snow Dog and The Necromancer thrown in for good measure"

Alex: "Hey Geddy, I had an idea for the next tour - why don't we COMPLETELY DESTROY your vocal chords! Sounds fun, eh?"

QUOTE (NYM86 @ May 4 2012, 09:41 AM)
i don't really see how caravan and bu2b can be considered jams

I agree, to me "jam" is more of a spontaneous, loose, made-up thing rather than a written part of a song regardless of how it sounds. The extended live versions of Closer to the Heart for example were jams, or the extended live ending on Bravado. The middle parts of Freewill or Mission for example are not jams because they're structured, written parts.

I think to the OP, "jam" means high energy riffage. Whereas, in musician's terms it usually means improvisation. I.e., something Rush never does in performance.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 4 2012, 11:00 AM)

I agree, to me "jam" is more of a spontaneous, loose, made-up thing rather than a written part of a song regardless of how it sounds. The extended live versions of Closer to the Heart for example were jams, or the extended live ending on Bravado. The middle parts of Freewill or Mission for example are not jams because they're structured, written parts.

Sir I know what a "Jam" is and I agree with you on the spontaneous, improvisation. However hasn't 2.gif been quoted saying that most of their songs derive form jam sessions. To me the ending of Caravan and most of the Headlong Flight seems like just that sections that have been developed from a jam. They are structured but not to the extent of ordinary songs. Specially Alex's solos. Regardless, I know a song that jams (Adjective) and a song that is a Jam (noun)! If you notice on the title its jamming (verb) not a Jam (Noun). So please restrain yourselves from your futile attempts to seem enlightened. I think you guys need to pick up some toast and add some jam (noun) to it. I suggest some Raspberry Jam! tongue.gif

You guys get a bit dramatic without your daily jam. Kinda like Joe Pesci!

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 4 2012, 12:02 PM)

Sir I know what a "Jam" is and I agree with you on the spontaneous, improvisation. However hasn't 2.gif been quoted saying that most of their songs derive form jam sessions. To me the ending of Caravan and most of the Headlong Flight seems like just that sections that have been developed from a jam. They are structured but not to the extent of ordinary songs. Specially Alex's solos. Regardless, I know a song that jams (Adjective) and a song that is a Jam (noun)! If you notice on the title its jamming (verb) not a Jam (Noun). So please restrain yourselves from your futile attempts to seem enlightened. I think you guys need to pick up some toast and add some jam (noun) to it. I suggest some Rasberry Jam! tongue.gif

How about radar jam? smile.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 4 2012, 01:02 PM)

Sir I know what a "Jam" is and I agree with you on the spontaneous, improvisation. However hasn't 2.gif been quoted saying that most of their songs derive form jam sessions. To me the ending of Caravan and most of the Headlong Flight seems like just that sections that have been developed from a jam. They are structured but not to the extent of ordinary songs. Specially Alex's solos. Regardless, I know a song that jams (Adjective) and a song that is a Jam (noun)! If you notice on the title its jamming (verb) not a Jam (Noun). So please restrain yourselves from your futile attempts to seem enlightened. I think you guys need to pick up some toast and add some jam (noun) to it. I suggest some Rasberry Jam! tongue.gif

i don't need to 'lighten up' at all. just because i disagree with your opinion, doesn't mean i'm tensed up in the least bit. i still don't think anything in caravan or bu2b sounds like a jam.

QUOTE (NYM86 @ May 4 2012, 11:28 AM)

i don't need to 'lighten up' at all. just because i disagree with your opinion, doesn't mean i'm tensed up in the least bit. i still don't think anything in caravan or bu2b sounds like a jam.

I'm a big fan of the Grateful Dead, and I'm very familiar with Phish and other "jam bands." Rush doesn't come anywhere CLOSE to jamming, except sometimes on stage, and even those jams are often pre thought out, or if there's improvisation, it's very minimal.

Nothing I've heard on the first three singles comes anywhere close to jams. A short instrumental breakdown section in a very structured song is not a jam. Not even close. Unless some of the rest of the songs have long instrumental sections with a spontaneous feel to them, then there is no jamming on this record. Just because a song might have started from a jam doesn't mean anything - lots of bands write like that.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 4 2012, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (NYM86 @ May 4 2012, 11:28 AM)

I'm a big fan of the Grateful Dead, and I'm very familiar with Phish and other "jam bands." Rush doesn't come anywhere CLOSE to jamming, except sometimes on stage, and even those jams are often pre thought out, or if there's improvisation, it's very minimal.

Nothing I've heard on the first three singles comes anywhere close to jams. A short instrumental breakdown section in a very structured song is not a jam. Not even close. Unless some of the rest of the songs have long instrumental sections with a spontaneous feel to them, then there is no jamming on this record. Just because a song might have started from a jam doesn't mean anything - lots of bands write like that.

I'm going to give you the Raspberry LoneStar!

tongue.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ May 4 2012, 12:40 PM)
I don't think you can complain about Witchhunt being played on back to back tours- pretty sure they didn't know they were going to do all of MP when they brought it back for the S&A tour.

I understand the circumstances and I'm not really complaining that much, I'm just saying that as much as I love those songs there's a factor of diminishing returns involved when they're repeated. Witch Hunt was a bit of a special case because they didn't know they'd be doing all of MP the following tour but it still didn't have the same impact it would have had in 2010/2011 if it hadn't just been played on the previous tour. I would have been just as excited for WH as The Camera Eye otherwise. I love La Villa for example, but they've played it on 3 of the last 4 tours, I don't want it again this next time out. That's the kind of stuff I was talking about. I freaking love that they played Presto and Marathon last time, but I don't want them again on the CA tour. It's not like I'll be mad if one or the other is repeated because I love them but I'd rather hear even more rare songs instead.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 4 2012, 03:50 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ May 4 2012, 12:40 PM)
I don't think you can complain about Witchhunt being played on back to back tours- pretty sure they didn't know they were going to do all of MP when they brought it back for the S&A tour.

I understand the circumstances and I'm not really complaining that much, I'm just saying that as much as I love those songs there's a factor of diminishing returns involved when they're repeated. Witch Hunt was a bit of a special case because they didn't know they'd be doing all of MP the following tour but it still didn't have the same impact it would have had in 2010/2011 if it hadn't just been played on the previous tour. I would have been just as excited for WH as The Camera Eye otherwise. I love La Villa for example, but they've played it on 3 of the last 4 tours, I don't want it again this next time out. That's the kind of stuff I was talking about. I freaking love that they played Presto and Marathon last time, but I don't want them again on the CA tour. It's not like I'll be mad if one or the other is repeated because I love them but I'd rather hear even more rare songs instead.

I'm feeling you Snowdog! I feel the same way! It's time to swap La Villa for Xanadu, Witch Hunt for Losing It, Working Man for By-Tor & YOU and Closer to the Heart for ...Well Anything!

yes.gif