Rate Caress of Steel

Gompers

How do you rate Caress of Steel  

104 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Caress of Steel

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 6 2012, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ May 5 2012, 11:30 PM)

I just want musicians to sit down and write what honestly comes to them.

Which is exactly what Rush has done their entire career in their own individualistic, nonconformist and rebellious way. Sometimes it's a little raw like COS/VT or polished like HYF. I just wish more fans would realize that everything they've done has its own quality and value, bearing the Rush stamp of originality while possessing their own unique identity. Nothing they've done deserves to be dismissed as crap, garbage or a mess.

I agree that Rush has always been unique, that's why I love them so much.

But even the best have a few missteps. Caress of Steel, in my opinion, was one of them.

Would you rather I lied about what I thought of it when reviewing the album? Or sugar-coat it?

Nah. Honesty. I like it as much in music as I do on Message Boards. tongue.gif

And I love debating, so my opinions sometimes come out a bit harsh.

9. Almost a 10 for me. Love Bastille Day, The Necromancer, and The Fountain. I Think I'm Going Bald, besides having a silly name and some lyrics, is a solid rocker. I haven't always liked Lakeside Park, but it's grown on me a lot lately.

TFoL isn't cohesive at all like the other epics, but I love the individual parts so it doesn't matter. The Necromancer is Alex's greatest moment and my favorite song on the album.

• Like 1

Dated? Seriously? Sure, CoS sounds dated. Not sure how that is a valid complaint against a 37 year old album.

If sounding period is an excuse to knock a Rush album , than I gave PoW and Presto way too high scores because of the number of Duran Duran era flash backs they give me.

Hot Tube Time Machine aside, every Rush album made up to T4E sounds period and dated compared to todays hyper produced fodder on the radio. Sadly, because of kids I am unfortunately excruciatingly familiar with current music (dubstep anyone?).

I would argue that the synth albums are in fact faring quite a bit worse for sounding dated because of obvious technological advances in the genre.

Edited by Animate
  • Like 1

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ May 6 2012, 02:35 AM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ May 5 2012, 11:30 PM)

I just want musicians to sit down and write what honestly comes to them.

Which is exactly what Rush has done their entire career in their own individualistic, nonconformist and rebellious way. Sometimes it's a little raw like COS/VT or polished like HYF. I just wish more fans would realize that everything they've done has its own quality and value, bearing the Rush stamp of originality while possessing their own unique identity. Nothing they've done deserves to be dismissed as crap, garbage or a mess.

goodpost.gif

10 years ago I would have gave it a 5. However since then several songs have grown on me! Specially The Necromancer and Lakeside Park and The Fountain of Lamneth

The Great

-Bastille Day

The Good

-The Necromancer

The OK:

-Lakeside Park

The Nice Try but no Cigar:

-The Fountain of Lamneth

The I can't believe RUSH wrote that

-I Think I'm Going Bald

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Prefer this over both 2112 and Fly By Night,

More creative and diverse throughout though uneven at times. Still a more compelling listen overall than either of those albums.

Going Bald and Lakeside Park are slightly weak but the rest are intriguing in their own unique experimental ways. Flaws and all...

Posted this story in the "What Made Your Day?" thread, but it belongs here as well...

This morning as I worked in my classroom before school, I had COS, Necromancer going. A 14yo girl walks in to drop off her bag and freezes. She truns and says, "I know this band...it's...RUSH, right? I love RUSH."

I mean, Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, sure, but to know something from Caress? More than made my day...it made my year! smile.gif

• Like 2

QUOTE (New World Kid @ May 5 2012, 10:15 PM)
Voted a 2. In the grand scheme of everything that is music... this is like a 4 or 5, but to Rush standards, it's a 2.

The albums starts off well; Bastille Day is a good song. Geddy's voice is still irritatingly raw. Those criticisms that Geddy is famous for receiving aren't out of line here. But otherwise, this rocker is good. Particularly the ending, I love the "majestic" quality of it.

I Think I'm Going Bald is okay. Entirely forgettable though.

Lakeside Park is a really good tune, but totally dated.

Then things go way wrong.

The Necromancer is silly. In execution, it's a bunch of jumbled pieces that loosely fit together. An extended jam. Lyrically, what a mess. What even happens?

Can anyone agree on what this story actually is? Three Men travel in the land of a bad guy. And... that matters why? Is it dangerous? How does this Necromancer actually keep these people dark? Are they dead people, hence the name Necromancer? Then does that mean in the end they're brought back to life? Why do we even care about the three men if they do nothing? It's By-Tor that slays the Necromancer... somehow. Why? What were By-Tor's reasons? Is this the same By-Tor as before on Fly By Night? Is it a different one? Why would the evil prince from some other silly "epic" be the hero int his one? Were you just too lazy to come up with another character name, and settled for the worst one you had in your notebook?

Awful.

Hokay. The Fountain of Lamneth.

Silly
Long
Disconnected musical passages
Non-sensical
Meandering

Bah.

And the whole album is entirely dated sounding. It hasn't aged well at all.

Such is my opinion.

All art is dated.

voted 8.

One of my top 10 albums by the band. Bastille Day rocks...Lakeside Park is an absolute classic...The Fountain is The Pre-Cursor to 2112 in terms of style...and the Necromancer is just plain cool...only reason for an 8 instead of a 10 is I Think I'm Going Bald

QUOTE (staunchally @ May 10 2012, 11:47 AM)

All art is dated.

I don't think that's true at all.

Moving Pictures is timeless, for example. Those songs, those arrangements sound as good in 2012 as they did in 1981.

Perhaps it would have been better if I would have said, "this album has not aged well."

Edited by New World Kid

QUOTE (New World Kid @ May 10 2012, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (staunchally @ May 10 2012, 11:47 AM)

All art is dated.

I don't think that's true at all.

Moving Pictures is timeless, for example. Those songs, those arrangements sound as good in 2012 as they did in 1981.

Perhaps it would have been better if I would have said, "this album has not aged well."

staunchally is just trollin' us.

I gave it a seven. Not the best Rush, but still developing what they would become.

The Necromancer has some of Alex's most memorable guitar moments, and the fountain of lamneth, though disjointed stands up for me. Rush Taking chances. whats not to like?

Edited by Steely Caress
  • Like 1