All Three Singles

GangsterOnBoats

Good catch, I noticed that right away as well. I think there are several reasons why they're favoring E minor lately:

-- easy access to the root

-- lots of open strings

-- Geddy can hit notes that are high but not too hard to reach for him

-- it's easier to make killer riffs in your "home" key

-- homage to rock's home key

For example, by singing in E minor, he can spend most of the time singing around the 7th, root, 2nd, and 3rd, where a lot of good melody lives. And yet he can belt out that high 5th that most of us struggle to hit but is easy enough for tenors.

In HF, Alex is playing the Jimi Hendrix chord often, and with the open ringing E's, both high and low. Those fast riffs are interspersed with the heavy root note too.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Apr 24 2012, 10:40 AM)
Good catch, I noticed that right away as well. I think there are several reasons why they're favoring E minor lately:

-- lots of open strings

For example, by singing in E minor, he can spend most of the time singing around the 7th, root, 2nd, and 3rd, where a lot of good melody lives. And yet he can belt out that high 5th that most of us struggle to hit but is easy enough for tenors.

In HF, Alex is playing the Jimi Hendrix chord often, and with the open ringing E's, both high and low. Those fast riffs are interspersed with the heavy root note too.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Apr 24 2012, 09:40 AM)

-- lots of open strings

i wish i knew what the hell you were talking about.

sounds cool, though.

QUOTE (Bone Roller @ Apr 24 2012, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (psionic11 @ Apr 24 2012, 09:40 AM)
Good catch, I noticed that right away as well.  I think there are several reasons why they're favoring E minor lately:

-- lots of open strings

For example, by singing in E minor, he can spend most of the time singing around the 7th, root, 2nd, and 3rd, where a lot of good melody lives.  And yet he can belt out that high 5th that most of us struggle to hit but is easy enough for tenors.

In HF, Alex is playing the Jimi Hendrix chord often, and with the open ringing E's, both high and low.  Those fast riffs are interspersed with the heavy root note too.

i wish i knew what the hell you were talking about.

sounds cool, though.

rofl3.gif Same here

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Apr 24 2012, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 24 2012, 11:05 AM)
lots of open strings
Geddy can hit notes that are high but not too hard to reach for him

Bingo

Yes but then why did they drop 2112 down to D?

Because it's the saddest key of all...

I would guess this is way more about playability than singability. I think the melodies are probably fit not whatever they are playing rather than the other way aroun (especially the way HF and BU2B sound from a melody standpoint).

E minor is just a great key for playing the guitar and bass, it's no surprise that a lot of songs are written in it.

On a humorous, related note, as a former worship leader I can tell you that 90% of contemporary worship music is performed by using a capo so the guitar players can play in the key of G/e minor (same key) while allowing the vocalists to sing in a "real" key that is comfortable for them. Chris Tomlin is the worst about this, and yet his music was some of my favorite to do. As an act of protest, however, I tried to find different ways to voice my guitar parts so I wasn't always just playing in G/e minor- gotta keep things interesting you know!

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 24 2012, 01:48 PM)
I would guess this is way more about playability than singability. I think the melodies are probably fit not whatever they are playing rather than the other way aroun (especially the way HF and BU2B sound from a melody standpoint).

E minor is just a great key for playing the guitar and bass, it's no surprise that a lot of songs are written in it.

On a humorous, related note, as a former worship leader I can tell you that 90% of contemporary worship music is performed by using a capo so the guitar players can play in the key of G/e minor (same key) while allowing the vocalists to sing in a "real" key that is comfortable for them. Chris Tomlin is the worst about this, and yet his music was some of my favorite to do. As an act of protest, however, I tried to find different ways to voice my guitar parts so I wasn't always just playing in G/e minor- gotta keep things interesting you know!

Man, I understand exactly what you mean! At my old school they would do that, which meant no skill needed at all. Capos may be great devices used properly (Tommy Emmanuel), but when using it on the fourth fret just so you can play an open G or C chord is ridiculous. Learn to play a bar chord please!

Sorry about my little rant wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 24 2012, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Apr 24 2012, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 24 2012, 11:05 AM)
lots of open strings
Geddy can hit notes that are high but not too hard to reach for him

Bingo

Yes but then why did they drop 2112 down to D?

Because it's the saddest key of all...

Actually, you're thinking of D.....minor

Geddy likes E. He can use the root, 7th, octave pattern he likes so much. (Far Cry, Mal Nar, The Body Electric, Headlong Flight, Working Man, many many others).

Not sll of those are in E, but that pattern in E rocks hard.

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 24 2012, 10:35 PM)
We all know that lots of great Rush music was written in E minor. The real question is, what key is Dog Years in?

062802puke_prv.gif

B(itch) minor?

QUOTE (GangsterOnBoats @ Apr 24 2012, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 24 2012, 01:48 PM)

Man, I understand exactly what you mean! At my old school they would do that, which meant no skill needed at all. Capos may be great devices used properly (Tommy Emmanuel), but when using it on the fourth fret just so you can play an open G or C chord is ridiculous. Learn to play a bar chord please!

Sorry about my little rant wink.gif

Haha- I'm with you. For worship music it's kind of understandable, though, because the point is for the song to be singable by the congregation moresoe than it is to be be interesting for the guitarists. I cut Tomilin slack for this. I'd hate to be his guitarist, though- I'd always be wanting him to try some more interesting srrangements.

But really, doing that is so different from Rush writing a lot of songs I'm G/e minor. Is just a natural key in which to play the guitar.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Apr 24 2012, 07:40 AM)

Well, I'm not always sure what key I'm in as I play from tabs a lot (even with a score, they don't print the key for some reason). But I do note that Alex likes to play the middle strings and leave the Es open as you mention.

I hadn't really paid attention to the keys of the three CA songs. Now I will....