After A Few Weeks.........

presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 17 2012, 09:21 PM)
Why is it every time someone makes a big claim to have heard the record they suddenly disappear from the forum? yes.gif b_sigh.gif

LOL - I already quoted lyrics from Headlong Flight. You'll find out Thursday if I was telling the truth. As for me saying I've heard The Garden, well it is what is and whatever... I guess you'll just have to check this thread in June to see if that makes any sense.

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Apr 17 2012, 09:40 PM)
Why is it every time someone makes a big claim to have heard the record they suddenly disappear from the forum? yes.gif  b_sigh.gif

LOL - I already quoted lyrics from Headlong Flight. You'll find out Thursday if I was telling the truth. As for me saying I've heard The Garden, well it is what is and whatever... I guess you'll just have to check this thread in June to see if that makes any sense.

tongue.gif Well give me something then. You not blown away like evrybody else that has supposedly heard multi tracks?

Why is it every time someone makes a big claim to have heard the record they suddenly disappear from the forum? yes.gif b_sigh.gif

Or they just joined..

I bet it's all Rush and RR executives creating accounts and posting random dribble just to mess with us Rush nerds.

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Apr 17 2012, 09:52 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 17 2012, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Apr 17 2012, 09:40 PM)
Why is it every time someone makes a big claim to have heard the record they suddenly disappear from the forum? yes.gif  b_sigh.gif

tongue.gif Well give me something then. You not blown away like evrybody else that has supposedly heard multi tracks?

Blown away is a tough standard but I can say this is clearly the best Rush album I've heard in 20 years - and that's even if the songs I haven't heard absolutely suck. It's fresh, it's inspired, it's varied, it's deep and it's really good. This is coming from someone who hasn't been particularly impressed by the output from the band for the past 2 decades. I didn't think they had this type of record in them

Thanks for your info. We'll see if you're right. tongue.gif

QUOTE (likeclockwork @ Apr 17 2012, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (cygnify @ Apr 17 2012, 03:17 PM)
OK, I have to be careful with this, and I am sure some will call bullshit, but I know somebody personally who has heard another one of the songs.  I have no reason to doubt this friend, but he is a professional recording Engineer and works with people very closely associated with certain members of Rush.  In fact, he was in the same room with one of them yesterday (and showed me indisputable photos to prove it.)  Anyway, for what it worth, he said he did not hear keys in the song he heard - and he described it as a long bluesy song with an extended guitar solo.  He thinks it is the last song on the disc.  I did not press him for any more details, but I thought that was interesting.  Take it for what it's worth. 

And if he happens to read this, I hope he'll forgive me for being unable to contain my excitement for the new release and share this little nugget.  I think I was reasonably discreet.  :-)

The last song is The Garden and this description definitely does not describe that song at all.

I've been fortunate enough to hear more than half the album and I haven't yet heard any song that can be described like this.

Interesting. Don't know what I can say -

In addition to being a pretty successful recording Engineer, my friend is also a guitarist and Lerxst freak. I can only say that he has provided me "inside" information previously that was 100% accurate. He works professionally with people that have recorded with members of Rush and is credited on various CDs. He was extremely excited to hear the song, but he said the arrangement didn't have alot to it - thus the comparison to a "bluesy" song. But he did say the solo was great and "extended" He was under the impression that it was the last song on the disc (I don't know why) but he only heard this song. Of what he told me, that is the only thing I can comment on.

Sorry to have "disappeared" but I can't hang around here all day! cool.gif

though I doubt it, maybe my bud is testing me (and I have failed!) If news of a bluesy Rush tune with extended Lerxst solo hits RIAB, I am f*cked! lol wink.gif

and if there's no bluesy Rush tune with extended solo on the record, he was f*cked me twice! lol wink.gif

But seriously, he had no reason to mislead me, he had just called me to share his extraordinary experience yesterday and show me some of the photos he took... that is all.

QUOTE (cygnify @ Apr 17 2012, 09:14 PM)
though I doubt it, maybe my bud is testing me (and I have failed!) If news of a bluesy Rush tune with extended Lerxst solo hits RIAB, I am f*cked! lol wink.gif

and if there's no bluesy Rush tune with extended solo on the record, he was f*cked me twice! lol wink.gif

But seriously, he had no reason to mislead me, he had just called me to share his extraordinary experience yesterday and show me some of the photos he took... that is all.

We don't know he that what he said isn't accurate, it may just be that he was wrong about it being the last song. It may be one of the songs likeclockwork didn't hear. We'll just have to wait and see.

QUOTE (cygnify @ Apr 17 2012, 10:08 PM)
. . . he said the arrangement didn't have a lot to it - thus the comparison to a "bluesy" song.

Yes! This is the most exciting comment I've read yet of all the pre-release tweets, secret meeting reviews and what not. The idea that they might have done a song with just guitar, bass and drums without overproduced, organic, layered whatevers gets me going. Please be true.

QUOTE (snowdog212 @ Apr 17 2012, 10:37 PM)
I hope not another bluesy song 1 from S&A was not very good

Well it all depends on how he defines "bluesy". When I listen to the bass at the start of the Headlong Flight clip, it does sound pretty bluesy. Sure the clip is heavy but the notes in that riff are "bluesy".

We'll just have to wait.... 23 hours and 28 minutes to find out

Alright, I give up on whether or not this listening party happened or not. Mostly it's because every single person who claims to have listened to a song or two or half the album has a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT opinion and description of what it's supposed to sound like.

I'm not saying people's opinions aren't valid, as they certainly are, but when you pool them all together and they all say completely different things, it kind of renders them null and void in my mind. Obviously we're going to have to hear these songs and this album for ourselves to make up our own mind as these descriptions are confusing as f*ck. wacko.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 08:48 AM)
Alright, I give up on whether or not this listening party happened or not. Mostly it's because every single person who claims to have listened to a song or two or half the album has a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT opinion and description of what it's supposed to sound like.

I'm not saying people's opinions aren't valid, as they certainly are, but when you pool them all together and they all say completely different things, it kind of renders them null and void in my mind. Obviously we're going to have to hear these songs and this album for ourselves to make up our own mind as these descriptions are confusing as f*ck. wacko.gif

I heard it the other day and it was like Rivendell and the Roll the Bones rap thrown in a blender with Alex's solo album.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 18 2012, 08:44 AM)
I hope not another bluesy song 1 from  S&A was not very good

Well it all depends on how he defines "bluesy". When I listen to the bass at the start of the Headlong Flight clip, it does sound pretty bluesy. Sure the clip is heavy but the notes in that riff are "bluesy".

QUOTE (cygnify @ Apr 17 2012, 03:17 PM)
. . . but I know somebody personally who has heard another one of the songs.  . . . and he described it as a long bluesy song with an extended guitar solo.  He thinks it is the last song on the disc.

It was not Headlong Flight he was talking about.

But, agreed, we will have to wait and see. When I first heard the way The Way The Wind Blows starts out, I was all, "F yeah! This thing is awes- wait. What just happened there?" So, we shall see. Or, hear.

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Apr 18 2012, 08:44 AM)
I hope not another bluesy song 1 from  S&A was not very good

If you want to read into my friend's interpretation - I can tell you that a couple years ago he attended a "listening party" with Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree before the release of "The Incident". In a very short note to me, he described that album as "Very diverse with some folksy elements" and those elements reminded him a bit of Lightbulb Sun.

Looking back at his "folksy" comment now, I recall at first I found it very strange I certainly wouldn't describe that disc as "folksy" - but upon reflection think he was getting at some of the acoustic guitar work of "Time Flies" "I Drive the Hearse" or other mellowish acoustic parts of the album etc. and perhaps also the narrative approach of the story.

Got to remember it's also a first time listen, in the presence of the creator, and the mind must be racing. That's just his first impression.

So, maybe in this case "Bluesy" is very subjective - but "extended solo" is pretty definitive, and overall he liked the song.