Time Machine DVD vs. 30th Anniversary?

jwoods89

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Mar 3 2012, 03:56 AM)
Which one is better? Also should I get Roll the Bones or Test For Echo?

I prefer 30th, but why not buy the two? Roll or Test??, same answer, and i can't find any preference for me between both.

I love TMT BUT my all time favorite live DVD/CD (which you need to buy the DELUXE version to get all 4 discs (2 DVDs and 2 CDs) is R30 hands down. I love the songs on that tour and perhaps my favorite live song ever recorded is the R30 Overture. Before that, I hated medleys as I always wished they'd play the songs in their entirety. But that one is just about as perfect a mixture of songs and just flows so great. I listen to R30 Overture about once every 3 days. The rest is great although if I had one complaint, they play some of the cover songs from Feedback and although I don't mind them, I'd rather them have played more original RUSH songs instead.

trink39.gif

Time Machine is a full show, but R30 has a slightly better flow in the set list, even with the loss of the songs they omitted from it. Plus, Geddy sounds iffy at times on TM. However, TM has all of Moving Pictures and Marathon. In short, you cannot go wrong with either (although I like both Rush In Rio and S&A Live better).

Roll the Bones is much better than Test for Echo, so get that.

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Mar 3 2012, 01:55 PM)
Just decided to get the Snakes and Arrows DVD and Roll the Bones. Does anyone know the setlist from said show?

If you ever need to see a setlist or even the dates of ANY past show from ANY tour...or even if you wanted to see a ticket stub from just about every show RUSH has performed, you need to just go to the Power Windows RUSH Tribute site.

Here is a link directly to the Tour section Power Windows - RUSH Tour Dates and Setlists

But I can't recommend this website more. The Pop Culture Reference page Power Windows - RUSH Pop Culture References is a must read for all RUSH fans.

Also there is a cool section called RUSH Inspirations that has info on what inspired RUSH for certain songs and lyrics. Another must read. Here is a link: Power Windows - RUSH Inspirations

Power Windows is a great site that I go to often for info. I can't recommend it enough. And no, it's not my site or nor do I know the guy who made it! no.gif

Edited to add: I think you should get Roll The Bones before TFE but I love TFE too, so Just get RTB first, then TFE when you can...IMO

Edited by Presto-a RUSH fan!

QUOTE (Sticklight @ Mar 3 2012, 12:31 PM)
I say Snakes & Arrows DVD biggrin.gif
Both R30 and TM DVDs are great, though.

(hey, this is my first post here smile.gif)

Welcome to TRF!!

trink39.gif

By the way, of the 3 you mention I would agree with you.

That being said, go with Rush in Rio (IMO). The film quality is not up to the level of the others but the crowed, wow. Just love that DVD for the raw energy.

If its between R30 and TM, go with TM (IMO).

Still, can't go wrong with any of them!!

T4E V. RTB?

Hmm. Not the greatest of albums from Rush (either one). Go with T4E (IMO), just be prepared to skip over "Dog Years". Or at least listen once or twice to it, realize how bad of a song it is and then be prepared to skip over it in the future. Worst song in the Rush catalog (IMO).

If you do listen to it and like it, more power to you.

In my opinion the 3 best songs off these 2 albums are "Dreamline" & "Bravado" off RTB and "Resist' off T4E. Problem RTB has is that it gets sort of thin after the 2 songs I mentioned. The album just has not aged well. I guess "The Big Wheel" is ok.

T4E may not have aged real well but it does have a bunch of fairly good songs. More depth to the album (IMO). Other than Dog Years that is.

QUOTE (grand phil-nale @ Mar 3 2012, 09:44 PM)
Buy the R30 Blu Ray. It has the 8 songs that were left off the DVD.

Agreed. You can't go wrong with a full setlist. That said, with the Blu Ray, you get only the show with no extras. The only way (unfortunately) to get the whole setlist AND extras is to get both the Deluxe DVD and BD.

Jwoods...

R30 is hands down a better DVD and, in my opinion, has the better setlist.

As for the "Roll the Bones" or "Test For Echo" question, the answer is, of course, both.

I would recommend the Audio Fidelity version of "Roll the Bones," it sounds so very nice! smile.gif

QUOTE (jwoods89 @ Mar 5 2012, 03:06 AM)
I'm planning on getting all their material. I'm down to just needing Vapor Trails, Feedback and Snakes and Arrows plus the live albums and a few DVD's

Well, get Feedback last unless you really want to hear RUSH do covers. Then I'd get VT just so you can join the debate on if it's so horrible as some would have you believe or if it's great as the smart people would have you believe! laugh.gif

Time Machine dvd

T4E