Neil's Tales From The Trail, Need your opinions

aviateur55

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Mar 2 2012, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 2 2012, 04:28 PM)
Peart's a snob.

Neeeel Peeeert is British? wacko.gif

Ok Numpty Pumpty, what's wrong with being British?

angry.gif

I'd bite your head off but my teeth are all broken. sad.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 2 2012, 04:34 PM)
QUOTE (PumpkinHead @ Mar 2 2012, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 2 2012, 04:28 PM)
Peart's a snob.

Neeeel Peeeert is British? wacko.gif

Ok Numpty Pumpty, what's wrong with being British?

angry.gif

I'd bite your head off but my teeth are all broken. sad.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Nothing is wrong, mate!

Pumpy loves the country that produced Def Leppard!

Rock Rock (Till Your Drop)

...and Fish & Chips!!!

Basically if you are Bill Bruford and you want to communicate with Neil Peart whilst he's out shopping for barbecue sauce that's ok. If you are upstateNYfan he'll probably have his monkey Mosbitch wrassle you to the floor.

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Mar 2 2012, 04:28 PM)
It's all about the way it's done. A lof of fans have made him go into his shell because they cross the line. There is a huge difference.

I give up, honestly, I really do. He's made it clear he does not want face to face contact with fans. Under any circumstances. The issue of how it's done isn't relevant. And you also miss my point. It's ok for him to geek out about a drummer/writer/other artist because his admiration is ok (how does he know if it's welcome), but mine isn't simply because I'm a rush fan. I'm nearly 50 years old for christ's sake. I'm hardly gonna wet my knickers in his prescence now, am I?

QUOTE (Sin City @ Mar 2 2012, 09:49 PM)
It's all about the way it's done. A lof of fans have made him go into his shell because they cross the line. There is a huge difference.

I give up, honestly, I really do. He's made it clear he does not want face to face contact with fans. Under any circumstances. The issue of how it's done isn't relevant. And you also miss my point. It's ok for him to geek out about a drummer/writer/other artist because his admiration is ok (how does he know if it's welcome), but mine isn't simply because I'm a rush fan. I'm nearly 50 years old for christ's sake. I'm hardly gonna wet my knickers in his prescence now, am I?

Err...yes you would... tongue.gif

As much as I agree with Neil owing us nothing more then the music he plays I also think when you are an entertainer which is what he is I do find it a bit of a contradiction that he loves the flashy solo spotlight,shiny gold plated hardware and entertaining an audience but wants to have nothing to do with them...thats just my opinion.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 2 2012, 04:50 PM)

Who ratted me out moon.gif

QUOTE (Sin City @ Mar 2 2012, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 2 2012, 04:50 PM)

Who ratted me out moon.gif

Well the restraining order and the empty box of Tena Men was a bit of a giveaway... wink.gif

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Mar 2 2012, 05:44 PM)
I bet he wasn't happy when this appeared recently in the LA Times;

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/01/bu...-peart-20111101

I thought I heard a distant sqeaking sound that day. Guess it was Neil's sphincter clamping shut.

I'm off to buy a map and binoculars.

QUOTE (Sin City @ Mar 2 2012, 04:49 PM)

This is wrong. He mentions several times in at least two of his books that he doesn't mind an "I admire your work" comment from a friendly stranger at all. It was when they become fanatic and over the top.

In fact, on BTLS, he says the admiration is "awfully nice" but it makes him uncomfortable.

It is completely relevant, and many fans who are subtle and kind have many nice stories.

I am really enjoying all the opinions expressed, they are all intelligent and well thought out. I also find it a little strange that is is ok for him to express his admiration to the people he admires/respects, but there is never a situation where it is ok to do the same to him.

Now I believe I have enough common sense to know where and when it would be ok to approach someone famous like Mr. Peart, and I would never ever cross a line regarding his privacy, but how long does it take to accept a compliment, sign an autograph, and a handshake? 30 seconds? If that? In the right situation of course.

I have met many famous people, from musicians, to sports figures, and found for the most part, if you are respectful, and act normal, they do not have a problem being approached, they seem to know it goes with the territory. It takes longer to explain why you won't sign, than to just sign and be done with it. I have also seen people I have admired, and not approached them, because I knew it was not an appropriate time.

I know that anyone I might happen to admire does not owe me anything period. However, my personal opinion is, that if someone admires you to the degree of most Rush fans, and have supported you and your band for so many years, you might lighten up just a bit with true fans, since they have read your books, and blogs, and know how to act in public.

It depends on the celebrity. Joan Crawford was completely opposite in her philosophy regarding fans. She commented many times over that her success depended on her fan base. She was more than glad to sign autographs for fans.

if i saw neil at a bar, or gas station somewhere out of the blue i really wouldn't know what to do. i'd feel bad if i went up to him and gave him a casual "hello, i like your work. have a great day" and he felt like i was intruding on him in someway. however, on the flip side, i'd feel just as bad if i saw him somewhere and DIDN'T say "hello".

it's a double edged sword. 1287.gif

QUOTE (aviateur55 @ Mar 2 2012, 08:08 PM)
I am really enjoying all the opinions expressed, they are all intelligent and well thought out.  I also find it a little strange that is is ok for him to express his admiration to the people he admires/respects, but there is never a situation where it is ok to do the same to him.

Now I believe I have enough common sense to know where and when it would be ok to approach someone famous like Mr. Peart, and I would never ever cross a line regarding his privacy, but how long does it take to accept a compliment, sign an autograph, and a handshake?  30 seconds? If that?  In the right situation of course.

I have met many famous people, from musicians, to sports figures, and found for the most part, if you are respectful, and act normal, they do not have a problem being approached, they seem to know it goes with the territory. It takes longer to explain why you won't sign, than to just sign and be done with it.  I have also seen people I have admired, and not approached them, because I knew it was not an appropriate time.

I know that anyone I might happen to admire does not owe me anything period.  However, my personal opinion is, that if someone admires you to the degree of most Rush fans, and have supported you and your band for so many years, you might lighten up just a bit with true fans, since they have read your books, and blogs, and know how to act in public.

I totally understand what you are saying as I used to feel the same way. But after reading his books and his blog, I understand "why" he feels that way and I respect his right to feel that way.

Again, in his books, he has mentioned many fan interactions. The ones that are bad are the over the top, or in Neil's opinion over the top ones, that interrupted him or make a fuss over him. He has gave MANY stories of fans who just acknowledge him like he was a normal person but mention "thanks for your music" and then move on and he talks fondly of those meetings. It's all in how it's done and I think any huge RUSH fan might have trouble containing themselves if they saw Neil and didn't read his books or blogs. That same behaviour might be fine for Geddly or Alex but for Neil, it's not. If your a huge fan you should have learned this by now, starting with Limelight, but then all his books over the years. He has made mention to, just like in the blog you quote, to when he respects the way fans treat him like he feels...a normal person.

AND LASTLY...I am surprised no one has commented that we actually now Neil better than we do Geddy or Alex. Sure we know the lighthearted stuff about Geddy and Alex but Neil shares his deep feelings in his books and blogs. So I submit to you we know Neil way better than we do Alex and Geddy.

I had the opportunity to meet the three of them at the side entrance to the Watergate hotel, during the "I-can't-pretend-a-stranger-is-a-long-awaited-friend" tour in '81. Ironically(and unintentionally), I completely snubbed Neil, as Alex was my favorite of the three. I didn't even acknowledge him as he stood in front of me. Looking back now, I feel bad I didn't at least smile and say hi to him.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 2 2012, 09:10 PM)
Why do you and others think in terms of "owing" anybody anything when it comes to this subject? Its purely a matter a human decency to return a greeting to another human being. It is the essence of civility.

Bingo! common001.gif